It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our Polish Games Festival is going strong with great deals on titles coming from Polish developers, but that’s not all we have in store for you (pun intended).
We teamed up with Razer to give you a contest with amazing prizes!

The rules are simple: comment on the forum or under our Twitter contest post and tell us what things are HARDER to do in games than in real life from your perspective. We'll reward 3 forum and 3 Twitter entries that we find most creative.

What are the prizes? You can win one of six prize packs of Razer peripherals (BlackWidow keyboard, DeathAdder mouse and Kraken headphones), and a bundle of 20 games available on GOG.COM, such as Control Ultimate Edition, Disco Elysium - The Final Cut, Spiritfarer, SUPERHOT: Mind Control Delete and more!

Submit your entries before May 11th, 3pm UTC. Terms and conditions apply. You can check them in the first comment on the forum.

Don’t forget that, during Polish Games Festival (from May 3rd to May 10th, till 1 PM UTC), if you buy any game at GOG.COM and sign up to GOG’s newsletter, you will receive a special 15% off on peripherals in the Razer Store*.

* The 15% discount codes for Razer Peripherals will be valid from May 10th till June 10th, 2021. The discount does not apply to digital goods (Razer Gold Pins, Razer Gift Card), Razer Customs, Gears & Apparel, Razer Systems. Codes are eligible for selected countries and territories: USA, Canada, United Kingdom, European Union, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Australia. The discount codes will be sent via email connected to your GOG account, within a few days after the event ends. One account is eligible for one discount code.
In real life I almost never have to scale a tower before my maps work.
Ohhh boy, there are many things that are really complicated in videogames that are way easy in real life:
- Swimming (f*ck the water levels): Watter and videogames are like antagonist, if your character don't die when it enter in water, you will have to survive to a short limited air supply, a lot of things that try to kill you and painfully slow movement.
- Open doors: Who would thought that powerfull characters like Kratos from God of War series, that killed enemies fron the size of mountains wpuld bend the knees before the mighty wooden door? Something that would be so easy to overcome in real life if we have the abilities or the instruments of a videogame character, only using a little bit of brute force or even more simple just calling a locksmith.
- Easy obstacles and daily things: Imagine that a fence is an unavoidable obstacle like it is in Pokemon? Or that you need a stair becuase that hill is slightly steep? Find keys (although that is really complicated in real life too), drive following the trafic rules (aplicable to any open world game that involves driving), have a deep conversation with an stranger (most NPC just have one or two lines of dialogs), call a delivery because that is not an option in videogames and many other things that are overly complicated. But I think the most harder thing to do in a videogame is...
- STAY ALIVE: Survive in videogames it's a hell of a thing if we take in count all the things that try to kill our character, animals, criminals, zombies, robots, cyborgs, aliens, mythological creatures, monsters, evil doppelgangers, the enviroment and a really long etcetera of other things that try by all means to put and end to our existence. Now, if we take in count that most games have an average duration of 10 to 15 hours and in that time our character die plenty of times, the fact of being able to play a videogame involves that we have survived more than any characters in videogames. Stay alive is the challenge we have to overcome in the majority of games and is definitely the most harder thing to do in a videogames.
Picking up anything! Running around Skyrim, taking down bandits and trying NOT to pick up every worthless piece of junk they have on them. Pulling a book off the shelf and NOT grabbing the 500th random dish instead. Snatching up the individual gold coins on the table and accidentally picking up the Stone of Barenziah. No! I don't want it! I can't get rid of it! I don't want that stupid quest! RELOAD LAST SAVE!
Shooting accurately is easier in real life than in a game.
But I prefer playing with a controller, so maybe that's my problem.
Orientation is harder in games then real life.

Take away the automap and markers highlighting points of interest, and it becomes easy to get lost in games due to a lack of distinguishing features and landmarks in most games.

Why is orientation harder?

1. Copy and Paste backgrounds and/or assets. When everything looks similar to everything else, it is easy to get turned around or lost and end up wandering the wrong direction.

2. Restricted field and depth of view. In real life, you can see and identify distinguishing features of the terrain or urban landscape at a distance of 1-2 miles / 1-3 kilometers. In games, your vision is reduced to about 1/4 of a mile, or 200-300 meters, with everything beyond that distance hidden behind a fog, or blurred, or outside of the draw distance of the game.

3. Depth perception is also distorted in games because of the shorter field and depth of view. It is harder to determine how far something is away from you, which makes it easier to get lost because you think you travelled farther then you actually did, or not far enough, causing you to miss the turn you were supposed to take.

4. Many games are designed to be labyrinthine and maze like, forcing players to rely on the automap to know where they are. When you are drawing the map yourself it is easy to make mistakes and get lost when your map doesn't match the landscape because of said mistakes. Add in a lack of distinguishing features and landmarks, and your map loses some of its value because there is nothing to compare against.

5. Incorrect distances in games. Games often mark things as miles or kilometers away, and assuming your character's stride is equal to a human's stride, the real distance is measurable in yards or meters instead of miles and kilometers. Your character travelled about 100 yards or 100 meters if it was real life, but the game will say you travelled 1 mile or kilometer. In real life, an average person would take about 20-30 minutes to walk that mile or kilometer (walk speed is about 2 MPH or 2 KPH), while in game you walk the same distance in about 5 minutes.
This makes it harder to judge how far you travelled, and makes you think you are somewhere else then where you are actually standing.
Whether it's my inventory in an RPG or my base in an RTS, I'll feel the obsessive need to sort and organize everything. No wonder I have so many hours in Factorio. I don't exactly feel the need to pick up every empty candy wrapper on the street, but I'll pick up every trash item I come across in Fallout New Vegas. My clothes? They can remain on the floor a little longer, methinks. So, I guess my answer is: Seeing disorder and leaving it be. That's much harder for me to do in a game than in real life.
Post edited May 04, 2021 by gogskel
STAYIN' ALIVE
In games you always see delicous food but no matter what you do you'll never actually know how it tastes.
Post edited May 04, 2021 by IronSkeleton
Drive according to the rules:)
blinded_sinnerman: Drive according to the rules:)
You just reminded me of this
Sit still.
I enjoy going into the woods and just enjoying nature, but I cannot stand any game that wants me to sit and wait.
Elevator on the way, slowly opening door, NPC forces me to stand and listen.
its harder to not mass murder people who don't like my park and tell me its "slide 1 isn't thrilling enough" for them.
To control the RC plane
it's definitively easier to nail a playboy bunny in real life than finding a decent erotic encounter in a computer game ;-)
Open a door or a window.

I mean, you have acquired or crafted a weapon capable to destroy entire planets or even galaxies but you can't open a mere wooden door with it.
Post edited May 04, 2021 by ElPrimordial