It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
DrearierSpider: Add me to the boycott list. I don't post on the forums often, but I have over 400 GOG games purchased over the course of 8 years. Personally, my decision is entirely driven by Devotion.
I admire your Devotion.

(also love yer avatar as well)
I'm with you on points 1, 5 and 6.

DRM games just need to be marked as such so people who want can avoid them.

Sadly I caved in and bought Heroes 1 during the sale. I'm ashamed of myself.
Post edited January 08, 2021 by ResidentLeever
low rated
ResidentLeever: I'm with you on points 1, 5 and 6.

Sadly I caved in and bought Heroes 1 during the sale. I'm ashamed of myself.
refund:P
I‘m always fascinated by some people who are „totally hppay with GOG“ and „don‘t care for people who don‘t like GOG“, but still have need to post in this thread and tell everyone that „I‘m better than you, because of reasons“.
I wonder what a shrink would say to this behaviour.
As a person who has both been eagerly awaiting Devotion after learning Red Candle was behind it and never once had a problem with DRM on Steam, starting my own boycott of GOG was no problem whatsoever. None of my games here were in the refund period when this travesty started, unfortunately, but I only used this storefront for it's classic selection anyways. It's unfortunate this is the only place that has Silent Hill 4 PC right now, but I still have my PS2 copy and console. Also, there's always hope in Steam listing it as well as the other PC ports.

I have to say, I find it hysterical that every time GOG tries to promote something on Twitter, the post is flooded with Pooh memes. But sure, let's stick to our guns here. It's what the "gamers" want!
low rated
john_hatcher: I‘m always fascinated by some people who are „totally hppay with GOG“ and „don‘t care for people who don‘t like GOG“, but still have need to post in this thread and tell everyone that „I‘m better than you, because of reasons“.
Well... I'm generally happy with GOG because of my own personal requirements/expectations. I feel no need to join a community/group/project/gang/mob/...
I can't say that I care for spam - it doesn't matter what the motivation is, whether I can stand behind it or if it's to promote your new MOBA or potion. The road to hell is paved with good intentions (just quoting a cliché).
Post edited January 08, 2021 by teceem
low rated
WeirdoGeek: I have to say, I find it hysterical that every time GOG tries to promote something on Twitter, the post is flooded with Pooh memes.
Lol...are they really doing that? If so.....:D
low rated
john_hatcher: I‘m always fascinated by some people who are „totally hppay with GOG“ and „don‘t care for people who don‘t like GOG“, but still have need to post in this thread and tell everyone that „I‘m better than you, because of reasons“.
I think two kind of people do this
fanboys or trolls
trolls are clearly here to upset some people by mocking
fanboys just feel they are attacked personally when someone speaks bad of gog
low rated
Orkhepaj: I think two kind of people do this
fanboys or trolls
You forgot the third group: those who dislike the forums changing in a way they don't like...such as other people making threads or talking about topics that they dislike.
low rated
Orkhepaj: I think two kind of people do this
fanboys or trolls
GamezRanker: You forgot the third group: those who dislike the forums changing in a way they don't like...such as other people making threads or talking about topics that they dislike.
maybe ,i just put them into the fanboys group
an educated psychologist would be nice to have here
Time4Tea: 1) Release Devotion immediately.
2) Remove Gwent, No Man's Sky, Absolver (and any other DRMed games) from the store.
3) Remove DRM from the bonus cosmetics in Cyberpunk.
4) Cancel the deal with Epic.
5) Stop providing free games/incentives only to Galaxy users.
6) Assign adequate resources to maintenance of the offline installers.
1.) Agree.
2.) Disagree.
3.) Agree.
4.) I'm out of the loop on this issue.
5.) Agree.
6.) Agree.
Time4Tea: Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG?
Still am. I'm only here and there to type the name of the game Pooh hates in the search bar and to see if something I paid for was updated. Oh, and to catch up with the forums.
Post edited January 09, 2021 by Zorzy
high rated
Thank you for taking the time to make this thread.

Although some pro-DRM measures from GOG that you mention are quite concerning, I don't think they have yet crossed the line in this regard... yet. However, their kowtowing to Chinese Communist Party goons was clearly beyond the pale, particularly as it was accompanied by throwing their legitimate customers under the bus ("many gamers", heh).

So, I was already doing a loose, silent boycott (this Winter Sale was pretty good for my wishlisted games, but I didn't buy anything), which I intended to suspend in the improbable event that GOG implemented "Action 1" (a Devotion release, even if it was locked in China), or some honest, good faith, explanation to its customers and an APOLOGY TO DEVOTION'S DEVELOPERS (arguably even more unlikely than a discreet region-locked release).

I wasn't sure how strict this boycott would be, considering the lack of options due the appalling state of western companies and general population (just see the dishonest, oblique criticism of principled positions by phony cynics in this and similar threads). But honestly I don't see me buying here in quite a while, if ever.

Heck, at least Steam has resisted some cancellation brigades thanks to Newell's wise "publish-anything" policy (that store will be utter garbage when that man goes away), but it seems like GOG folds whenever "many gamers" (virtual mobs) put their target on the political enemy du jour, stepping on their partners and customers without a second thought.

So you can put me in the soft-boycott team (even though I'm making a full boycott, I don't want to give the "PRC defense committee" here ammunition if my evaluation of a changing situation makes me stop it).

I don't believe this will change anything, but that's not the reason I'm doing it. Honestly tired of bankrolling people that spit on my principles.
high rated
I'll join. I have a backlog of a huge amount of games and I've already bought Bloodlines 2 that's coming out in December.

This will just stop me from buying on sale games that I wouldn't have time to play anyway.

GoG and their way of rolling Galaxy update on me, no response to peoples concerns, has left a bad taste.

I once advertised to others for GoG and, if you saw just how many games I own via GoG, supported them well beyond what I should have.

Well my faith/goodwill towards GoG ended over time, and has now stalled completely. After Bloodlines, and my current catalog, I don't need them anymore other than to not take what I've already bought.
high rated
Timboli: If you don't buy the games you would have at GOG and don't buy them elsewhere, you are penalizing their providers. You could also easily be sabotaging the DRM-Free movement, especially if those providers don't get enough sales at GOG or are borderline like many are when it comes to DRM-Free. The offset of doing such, could well weaken GOG, and maybe precipitate what you fear, what all of us DRM-Free lovers fear.
Well, imo those developers should be encouraged to release their games with other stores as well then. Part of the point of DRM-free is that users should not be tied to one particular store or platform. Imo, more competition in DRM-free stores would be a good thing - it's somewhat ridiculous that GOG entertains such a 'monopoly' on DRM-free games. This why I want to use my purchases this year to help support Zoom Platform as an up-and-coming alternative.

As for sabotaging the DRM-free movement, I think you have it backwards. By allowing DRMed games onto their store, GOG are the ones who are damaging DRM-free. Because, once developers know they can access GOG's user base with DRMed games, where is the incentive for them for release DRM-free at all? Games like Gwent and No Man's Sky set a very bad precedent that make it less likely that developers will release games DRM-free. I am not going to support that.

Timboli: I really think you should preserve boycotting for if and when GOG do finally go too far, where you will have many more, including myself joining you, and have some chance of making a difference. Right now it is like farting into the wind.
In my opinion, they have already gone too far with Gwent, No Man's Sky, the Epic deal. These are not accidental moves. There is a clear pattern of continual erosion of GOG's core values. Now is the time to act. If we give them any more inches, soon the mile will be gone.
Post edited January 09, 2021 by Time4Tea
ResidentLeever: I'm with you on points 1, 5 and 6.

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with the view that having DRMed games on GOG is ok, as long as they are clearly marked. As I just mentioned in my post above to Timboli, once GOG starts selling DRMed games, where is the incentive for developers to release DRM-free? The presence of any DRMed game on GOG is unavoidably damaging to the DRM-free movement.

(updated the list to post #315)
Post edited January 09, 2021 by Time4Tea