It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
RoboPond: This is false. Sure some of the changes have been demanded by the community but 99% of what GOG does they do because GOG want to do it, sod the community.

For example, the website no one wanted them to re-design it, they did it anyway. The community hated it so GOG rolled back some changes but generally kept it which is still hated by most of the community.
You're right. The list of 'features' not wished for is longer and more severe than a mere site-redisign. No one asked to pay extra for bonus material. (remember 'only complete games'?) No one asked for regional censorship. No one asked to pay more for games than the US price. (less, sure. People always want to pay less. But no one asked to be ripped off). No one asked for a broken forum. Quite the contrary, people keep asking GOG to fix it. No one asked for single-player DRM. No one asked for multiplayer-DRM either, many just accept it because they (erroneously) think it necessary. No one asked GOG to stop communicating with us or to start lying. ... Those are all changes that GOG implemented contrary to community wishes, just because they wanted to.
mrkgnao: Don't hold your breath. Absolver, for example, has been like this for more than three years now.
GamezRanker: Still, others might have their content made fully drm free some day.....who knows.

(of course, this is more on the devs/pubs....whomever is in charge of such decisions....and not as much on GOG)
Yes but gog
have spoken about beeing a drm free store
they have said there woudnt be any drm on any game and the client woud be optional

thats the issue here

For arguments sake
one can say that gog have put up some warning
or something like a tos on those games that have it

But i did mention a bit about that earlier in the thread
The problem isnt really just gog
but consumer practices in general
Most contrys and users as well maybe except users on gog dont care too much
and are willing to let basic human rigths slip or they doesnt know or care
Lodium: Sorry
maybe i explained it a little bad
What i mean is
if evryone has a diffrent value to when they are going to boycott due to where their absolute limit it of what they can take
that can be a problem for the boycotting campaign
mrkgnao: Like I said, I still don't understand why it would be a problem for a boycotting campaign. Different people boycott for different reasons. If GOG makes a significant change, some will stop boycotting, some will continue boycotting, some will start boycotting, based on their agenda. All good.
Yes but you need a large number of people and staying power to make it effectfull
If loads of people do not join in the campaign can risk not being as effectfull as it shoud

Not many people are willing to listen to just 50 people in the polittical party of AGI to make an example
but if you get something like black lives matter
or maybe even 80000 or 50000 over a stretch of time
result will come
Im not saying that those numbers are needed here
but at least more than 5000 perhaps
Post edited March 17, 2021 by Lodium
mrkgnao: Don't hold your breath. Absolver, for example, has been like this for more than three years now.
GamezRanker: Still, others might have their content made fully drm free some day.....who knows.

(of course, this is more on the devs/pubs....whomever is in charge of such decisions....and not as much on GOG)
I disagree. Even if they cannot fix it, it is still very much "on GOG".

GOG knows that these games contain locked single-player content and they do nothing to warn future buyers about it (e.g. mark it as such, remove it from store, etc.).
high rated
Lifthrasil: You're right. The list of 'features' not wished for is longer and more severe than a mere site-redisign. No one asked to pay extra for bonus material. (remember 'only complete games'?) No one asked for regional censorship. No one asked to pay more for games than the US price. (less, sure. People always want to pay less. But no one asked to be ripped off). No one asked for a broken forum. Quite the contrary, people keep asking GOG to fix it. No one asked for single-player DRM. No one asked for multiplayer-DRM either, many just accept it because they (erroneously) think it necessary. No one asked GOG to stop communicating with us or to start lying. ... Those are all changes that GOG implemented contrary to community wishes, just because they wanted to.
It's a shame that, that is what GOG has now become. I miss the days when they were community friendly, and about the games.

Now days its all about being ignored, backroom politics and trying to alienate their current users, whilst enticing/listening to people that will most likely never use GOG.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just removed the wishlist down the line tbh, as they don't really listen to it at all.
low rated
Lodium: But i did mention a bit about that earlier in the thread
Well some might not care, but also some might not value every issue the same, due to many people being different in various ways.
Lodium: But i did mention a bit about that earlier in the thread
GamezRanker: Well some might not care, but also some might not value every issue the same, due to many people being different in various ways.
This i can agree with 100 %
low rated
mrkgnao: I disagree. Even if they cannot fix it, it is still very much "on GOG".
I meant it is on those game makers to fix the issue re: the content being made fully drm/"drm" free...sorry for not clarifying earlier.

mrkgnao: GOG knows that these games contain locked single-player content and they do nothing to warn future buyers about it (e.g. mark it as such, remove it from store, etc.).
Well I would rather the games be sold than not, so i'm against the latter to some degree....and they can't mark the games(at least on the game store pages/game cards) with such info.
(as I found out, from a talk with staffers awhile back to correct game card info, that the partners who sell each game are in near full control of the game page text/pics/etc & gog cannot change it without their permission)

=-=-=

RoboPond: I wouldn't be surprised if they just removed the wishlist down the line tbh, as they don't really listen to it at all.
Imo they likely won't do so, and for the same or similar reasons as why they allow these sorts of threads to remain open...to appear fair and good in the eyes of the user base as much as possible.
Post edited March 17, 2021 by GamezRanker
Opps
Nevermind
Post edited March 17, 2021 by Lodium
GamezRanker: to appear fair and good in the eyes of the user base as much as possible.
That ship has already sailed and sunk. Very few people think they are fair and good, more so after recent events.
GamezRanker: to appear fair and good in the eyes of the user base as much as possible.
RoboPond: That ship has already sailed and sunk. Very few people think they are fair and good, more so after recent events.
Well
Companys tasks arent really about beeing fair
even if they can take a reputation hit by not playing nice and fair
The first snd formost task is to make money

One can say that gog makes less money by losing it most loyal fans
but if they have more custtomers than people are boycotting or leaving or whatever
they will not care too much
pippin15: I've been here for a lot longer and let me tell you: every change that gog has applied has been demanded by the community via the wishlist. The client, the achievements, the multiplayer stuff, etc etc etc.... everything. And they weren't like minor wishes, those were easily among the top 5 most wished features too. Of course, gamers are gamers, so when gog started rolling out those changes some people thought it was the end of the world.
mrkgnao: Unbundling the offline installers was requested by 17 people.
Allowing purchase from other stores (e.g. Epic) via galaxy was requested by 3 people.
AFAIK, removing gogmixes was requested by 0 people.

Not exactly what I would call top 5 most wished.
Most complaints here are not directly about the existence of Galaxy, GOG-MP etc but rather how GOG poisoned them or other parts of GOG due to them, like:

Galaxy: Adding Galaxy-only stuff, neglecting offline installers, etc

Multiplayer: Doing it in such a manner that its DRM only. While adding MP is good they could have done it so that people could set up their own MP servers for example.
Lodium: Well
Companys tasks arent really about beeing fair
even if they can take a reputation hit by not playing nice and fair
The first snd formost task is to make money

One can say that gog makes less money by losing it most loyal fans
but if they have more custtomers than people are boycotting or leaving or whatever
they will not care too much
Of course its about making money. But you can have a successful business and make loads of money without alienating most of your active userbase, and getting in more people.

Take Galaxy for example. A lot of people dislike it and get annoyed that it gets pushed on the site more than the offline installers. A simple fix to this would be to add a option into account settings to disable or enable Galaxy.

Disabling it removes any mention from Galaxy from the site, and pushes offline installers to the front. Enabling it pretty much is as it is now.

Things like that gives GOG the best of both worlds having Galaxy there for people that use it and allowing it to be easily removed for those that don't.
While I understand the arguments for boycotting GOG -- and agree to some extent with the motivation -- I think it's important to acknowledge that...

... there are very few legitimate DRM-free marketplaces...

... and the loss of GOG could potentially be a death blow to legitimate DRM-free stores of any size.

So, with that said, is indeterminate boycotting of GOG the best strategy?

It's a hard question for me to answer
Why are you all so worried GOG may get out of business due to a boycott that (talking as a participant here, mind me) involves a percentage so small of users it has actually been completely ignored so far?

Also, isn't more reasonable thinking that the moment GOG is actually hurt by this it will start correcting its awful recent politics, hence making this initiative worthwhile, rather than not changing the course and sink?
Post edited March 17, 2021 by Enebias
If a forum boycott could kill GOG...

...then maybe it deserves to die.
Post edited March 17, 2021 by Grargar