It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

rjbuffchix: Do you apply this logic to other contexts where service is unacceptable? If I order soup and there's a hair in it, I don't go, "oh, at least it wasn't more than one hair, and at least it wasn't like something more gross". Also, as I write this I realize it isn't a perfect analogy considering that in that case, the mistake could at least have presumably been accidental, whereas GOG is actively choosing to foster a DRMed environment.
Gersen: No I just realize that having some dumb "bonus" being exclusive to some retailer / shop / preorder is nothing new, so having a bunch of optional cosmetic content requiring a connection / subscription is not the end of the world as long as the games themselves are DRM-free and said content is insignificant enough (i.e. cosmetic) then I am not going to lose my sleep over it no matter how dumb I find this kind of "exclusive" stuff to be and I would prefer if they were included in the installers.
I agree. Which is why boycotting this is an appropriate reaction, because it too is not the end of the world and does not cause me --- and hopefully you --- any loss of sleep.
low rated
Serpens6: I have been boycotting them since the Devotion debacle came to light. The people of Taiwan are marginalized all the time, and I have very close friends there. If you are okay with Beijing handing down decrees of what the rest of the world can see and consume, great, but it does sadden me that people are okay with this erosion. If I can apply pressure in some way to fight back against the oppression, I will.
Im not ok with this either
but the problem is like all other things in the world today
its hard to do anything with it
the problem is evry person has a diffrent value of what this boycott shoud be
and some doesnt care at all and have little principles

The Call of Duty fan community was fuming when Infinity Ward announced its abandonment of dedicated servers in Modern Warfare 2. It was as insulting as calling your granny a slut, they reckoned. Over 85,000 signed a petition, but the developers didn’t dismantle IWNet or add dedicated server support to the PC game. Then, a few months later, most of the leading protestors could be found on Infinity Ward’s own matchmaking service, playing the game.

Changes only works if enogh people mobilze and care enough to keep their principles even in the event of resistence
Sadly i have learned the hard way
that in most cases its just better to not care when its talk about boycots or other types of reactions
because otherwise i just use up energy for nothing.
Post edited March 16, 2021 by Lodium
Lodium: Steam did not start out as DRM store
If fact you were once able to copy or back up your games once upon a time but this is so far back in the day that most people doesnt remember it
They even had something called support for disc based games and were even selling valves own games on a disc once upon a time.
I had no trouble to back up these discs back in the day and thats withouth any hack
But its true that they did not speak publicy about beiing a drm fre store like gog did but they did speak publicity about your ownership of games
Are you sure you don't mean the regular Steam backup/restore feature which still would need the client to be able to run the games after you've restored them? I might be wrong but I am not aware that Steam ever offered the official possibility for "their" games to be played without Steam.
Post edited March 16, 2021 by MarkoH01
Lodium: Steam did not start out as DRM store
If fact you were once able to copy or back up your games once upon a time but this is so far back in the day that most people doesnt remember it
They even had something called support for disc based games and were even selling valves own games on a disc once upon a time.
I had no trouble to back up these discs back in the day and thats withouth any hack
But its true that they did not speak publicy about beiing a drm fre store like gog did but they did speak publicity about your ownership of games
MarkoH01: Are you sure you don't mean the regular Steam backup/restore feature which still would need the client to be able to run the games after you've restored them? I might be wrong but I am not aware that Steam ever offered the official possibility for "their" games to be played without Steam.
I migth remember this wrong
Its so damn long since
but i seam to remember that if you linked a disc based game that you had bougth outside of steam
you coud then back it up via download withouth the disc if the game was indeed drm fre and withouth copy protection
and withouth beeing further connected or use of the client after the download on steam.
But this is a vague memory

At least im pretty sure i was able to back up half life one
that i had on disc
and pretty sure i didnt have any hack to do it since i dont have any particullar hacking skills and my connection to internet in those days was abysmall
low rated
B1tF1ghter: Yeah what about it?
I think you may be misunderstanding how such hypothetical override would work and / or not know what is / haven't used Goldberg.
If the solution I hypothesized (which sounds rather likely given how Steam API is and how Goldberg leverages this very fact) it would be a replacement for literally one file.
I don't understand why would you even expect FOLDER STRUCTURE to change.
I meant if people wanted to run their games if steam ever shut down, if they could just run them from the steam folders like that, or if they would want to(and not say move them, if possible, to folders of their own naming/choosing).

B1tF1ghter: So then you want GOG to become monopoly for old games?
I surely don't.
It's kind of a problem that they do have some old games as the only seller.
Especially when one wants to not buy on GOG (it means then that one cannot obtain said games anywhere) due to for example boycott.
Diversity of choice is a preferable thing.
I believe that user meant they'd only buy a gog game if they couldn't buy it anywhere else, bot that they want games to be sold only on gog.

B1tF1ghter: From my point of view sarcasm is dripping from your response (cough Goldberg cough). But to confirm: you ARE being sarcastic right? :P
I was totally (not) saying that cracking steam games one bought and paid for is a thing people can do if they ever had to. *wink wink, nudge nudge*
MarkoH01: Are you sure you don't mean the regular Steam backup/restore feature which still would need the client to be able to run the games after you've restored them? I might be wrong but I am not aware that Steam ever offered the official possibility for "their" games to be played without Steam.
Lodium: I migth remember this wrong
Its so damn long since
but i seam to remember that if you linked a disc based game that you had bougth outside of steam
you coud then back it up via download withouth the disc if the game was indeed drm fre and withouth copy protection
and withouth beeing further connected after the download on steam.

that i had on disc
and pretty sure i didnt have any hack to do it since i dont have any particullar hacking skills and my connection to internet in those days was abysmall
Well, the backup/restore mechanism on Steam wasn't much more but a simple packing feature used. IN fact there still is one tool available (Phoenix Tools) that still is able to pach/unpack those files. The installation of the disc basically just started the restore routine (umnpacking) and afterwards started Steam but you were also able top simply use the feature from the client itself. However those games still needed the client to run. It might be that some did not need the client after installation but that's still the case. The earliest game I actually bought on Steam was HL2 and I still have the disc - I still do remember the uproar (at least here in Germany) that it should be forbidden to have the client mandatory ... in the end they had to print a warning on the cover that the game does need Steam. Back then nobody would have expected that years after many, many, people won't care about the client and login anymore ... and of course not that many would WANT that cleint in the first place. Times changed a lot.
Lodium: Changes only works if enogh people mobilze and care enough to keep their principles even in the event of resistence
No. Changes also work even if a single person mobilises. For example, I have reduced the number of games I buy on GOG from more than a hundred a year to zero. It was a very noticeable and dramatic change. I am sure there are billions of people in the world, including in Warsaw, who have not noticed this change, but I have very much noticed it and it has affected me greatly, in a positive manner.
Post edited March 16, 2021 by mrkgnao
Lodium: I migth remember this wrong
Its so damn long since
and withouth beeing further connected after the download on steam.

that i had on disc
MarkoH01: Well, the backup/restore mechanism on Steam wasn't much more but a simple packing feature used. IN fact there still is one tool available (Phoenix Tools) that still is able to pach/unpack those files. The installation of the disc basically just started the restore routine (umnpacking) and afterwards started Steam but you were also able top simply use the feature from the client itself. However those games still needed the client to run. It might be that some did not need the client after installation but that's still the case. The earliest game I actually bought on Steam was HL2 and I still have the disc - I still do remember the uproar (at least here in Germany) that it should be forbidden to have the client mandatory ... in the end they had to print a warning on the cover that the game does need Steam. Back then nobody would have expected that years after many, many, people won't care about the client and login anymore ... and of course not that many would WANT that cleint in the first place. Times changed a lot.
I didnt buy half life 2 on disc so i cant really say in that case
only bougth half life one and that was relased way before Steam
low rated
Gersen: No I just realize that having some dumb "bonus" being exclusive to some retailer / shop / preorder is nothing new, so having a bunch of optional cosmetic content requiring a connection / subscription is not the end of the world as long as the games themselves are DRM-free and said content is insignificant enough (i.e. cosmetic) then I am not going to lose my sleep over it no matter how dumb I find this kind of "exclusive" stuff to be and I would prefer if they were included in the installers.
Well said.

I get being cautious on some things, but it seems some(in general I mean) are making mountains out of molehills on that and a few other issues.
Post edited March 16, 2021 by GamezRanker
Lodium: Changes only works if enogh people mobilze and care enough to keep their principles even in the event of resistence
mrkgnao: No. Changes also work even if a single person mobilises. For example, I have reduced the number of games I buy on GOG from more than a hundred a year to zero. It was a very noticeable and dramatic change. I am sure there are billions of people in the world, including in Warsaw, who have not noticed this change, but I have very much noticed it and it has affected me greatly.
Ok maybe i expessed me a little too bombastic there :)
More power to you and saved money as well.
what i meant was in a broader sense
GamezRanker: Well said.

I get being cautious on some things, but it seems some(in general I mean) are making mountains out of molehills on that and a few other issues.
If you guys don't consider locked cosmetics DRM, where do you draw the line then? How much game content would have to be locked, for you to consider it DRM? Why should we tolerate any amount of content being locked at all, on a store that supposedly prides itself on being DRM-free?

As I have said before, if this 'cosmetic content' is substantial enough to affect people's purchasing decisions about a game, then it is substantial enough to be considered DRM. If the content were truly insignificant, there would be no reason at all for developers to go to the trouble of coding dedicated authentication servers to lock it.
Lodium: The Call of Duty fan community was fuming when Infinity Ward announced its abandonment of dedicated servers in Modern Warfare 2. It was as insulting as calling your granny a slut, they reckoned. Over 85,000 signed a petition, but the developers didn’t dismantle IWNet or add dedicated server support to the PC game. Then, a few months later, most of the leading protestors could be found on Infinity Ward’s own matchmaking service, playing the game.
Yeah. So?

Just because the average Cowadoodytard doesn't have principles doesn't mean I don't need to have any.
MarkoH01: Well, the backup/restore mechanism on Steam wasn't much more but a simple packing feature used. IN fact there still is one tool available (Phoenix Tools) that still is able to pach/unpack those files. The installation of the disc basically just started the restore routine (umnpacking) and afterwards started Steam but you were also able top simply use the feature from the client itself. However those games still needed the client to run. It might be that some did not need the client after installation but that's still the case. The earliest game I actually bought on Steam was HL2 and I still have the disc - I still do remember the uproar (at least here in Germany) that it should be forbidden to have the client mandatory ... in the end they had to print a warning on the cover that the game does need Steam. Back then nobody would have expected that years after many, many, people won't care about the client and login anymore ... and of course not that many would WANT that cleint in the first place. Times changed a lot.
Lodium: I didnt buy half life 2 on disc so i cant really say in that case
That's true. I bought HL1 as well and because it was released outside of Steam (iirc it was published by sierra) it did not need any client.
Lodium: The Call of Duty fan community was fuming when Infinity Ward announced its abandonment of dedicated servers in Modern Warfare 2. It was as insulting as calling your granny a slut, they reckoned. Over 85,000 signed a petition, but the developers didn’t dismantle IWNet or add dedicated server support to the PC game. Then, a few months later, most of the leading protestors could be found on Infinity Ward’s own matchmaking service, playing the game.
fronzelneekburm: Yeah. So?

Just because the average Cowadoodytard doesn't have principles doesn't mean I don't need to have any.
Its not just that incident or just that case or just that game or franchice
and whatever you do personally isnt what im talking about either

I did say in a broader sense

Offcourse if the snowball gets big enough
and there arent people that are jumping ship underway
im all aboard as well

Lodium: I didnt buy half life 2 on disc so i cant really say in that case
MarkoH01: That's true. I bought HL1 as well and because it was released outside of Steam (iirc it was published by sierra) it did not need any client.
Honestly the only reason i linked my disc for halfline one on steam
was to save my disc drive
so it didnt have to work as much
Little did i know that my actions woud lead to bigger problems in the future
had i known at the time i just had bougth a new disc drive rather than in a way advancing client dependency on discs and the like

I coud have just kept a file as well of the game on something else than a disc
but storage space was kinda limited in that time
and expensive compared today
at least here
low rated
Time4Tea: If you guys don't consider locked cosmetics DRM, where do you draw the line then? How much game content would have to be locked, for you to consider it DRM?
Clarification: I was trying to say that I don't see it as that big a deal(it is akin to the preorder stuff most stores have done with games for years now, and is "only" cosmetic skins), and wasn't saying if it was or wasn't DRM.....sorry for not being more clear.

As for what level I am not willing to tolerate: things like if SP campaign content(such as the story expansion or character stuff for ME games) was preorder only or tied to a specific system(console/etc).

Time4Tea: Why should we tolerate any amount of content being locked at all, on a store that supposedly prides itself on being DRM-free?
People are of course free to respond to such as they will.

I'm just saying that, imo, some are "over responding" to that one issue(showing the same level of "concern" as if it were, say, story content hidden behind a preorder/galaxy wall)....of course others are free to disagree.

Time4Tea: If the content were truly insignificant, there would be no reason at all for developers to go to the trouble of coding dedicated authentication servers to lock it.
I think they did it more so because it is cheap/easy to make such preorder content, and making it exclusive in such a manner likely makes the "normies" preorder more.
Post edited March 16, 2021 by GamezRanker