It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

With our Spring Sale in full bloom, we have a surprise for you! Now you can get a chance to win one of 120 selected games thanks to our colorful Spring Sale Contest!

To participate, just let us know in the comments what have you learned from a video game that has helped you in real life?

Be sure to enter your comment before the contest ends on April 1st 2021, 6 PM UTC.
The Stick of Truth taught me never fart on someone's balls.

West of Loathing taught me how to walk stupidly and spittoons are worthwhile to investigate.

The Secret of Monkey Island taught me never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game.
There are two things I learned from strategy games: prioritizing is essential when you plan your tasks ahead and expect the unexpected.
Elder Scrolls Skyrim:
the civil war questline in which you have to choose between the Imperial Legion and the Stormcloack factions. The former wants to keep an empire which is more than hundreds of years old intact ad the latter wants to gain independence because the once mighty empire let them down by making a costly ceasefire with their mortal enemies. I played both factions in different playthroughs ang got know the key members of each faction. surprisingly, both of them had convincing arguments, shared the same enemy, cared about citizens, were reluctant to shed blood and were not without faults. Their only difference was in the methods they were using to achieve their goals. Overall, this taught me that sometimes people fight each other not because one side is wrong and the other is right, they fight because both sides are right (or perhaps wrong). sometimes people fight for the sake of their ideas and beliefs rather than what we might consider absolute goodness or evil. In my future playthroughs, I always chose the imperial legion because my ideas and beliefs were more in line with the Imperial Legion compared to the Stormcloaks, but I also knew that the Stormcloacks were neither wrong nor bad -they were just people who had different ideas and could be right. Well that was it! Which faction did you choose?
Fallout 4: There is always another settlement that needs my assistance.
Never give up. Just like how i play Dark Soul.
if you keep trying to defeat the challenge, you will get the taste of victory at the end of the day.
I've got a good one - shortly after I got my first cat I picked up No More Heroes 2 on the Wii. There are a handful of cat-related mini-games in it, one of which involves a particular cat belly-rubbing technique. Clearly Suda51 or someone on his team was a serious cat-fanatic.

In the first/only time I ever decided to imitate a video game in real life verbatim, I tried it performing the same moves on my actual cat that I performed in the game and sure enough she REALLY enjoyed it. She turned up her V8 engine to at least 10,000 RPMs (she probably could have literally held the world record for loudest purr...) and stretched happily as I rubbed her belly for quite a while.

Not long after she started greeting me at the door whenever I came home with a meow followed by falling over on her side and pretending like I was rubbing her belly to indicate to me that I should do it. She also made a habit of rolling on her side when laying against me on the couch so I could rub her belly there too... I get the impression that a lot of cats wouldn't like that, but I ended up with a cat addicted to belly rubs instead. :O
Every decision matters, so make each one count.
Bioshock

The worst things imaginable can be done with the best of intentions. Also morality can be fussy and tricky.
littlebrotherototo: Elder Scrolls Skyrim:
the civil war questline in which you have to choose between the Imperial Legion and the Stormcloack factions. The former wants to keep an empire which is more than hundreds of years old intact ad the latter wants to gain independence because the once mighty empire let them down by making a costly ceasefire with their mortal enemies. I played both factions in different playthroughs ang got know the key members of each faction. surprisingly, both of them had convincing arguments, shared the same enemy, cared about citizens, were reluctant to shed blood and were not without faults. Their only difference was in the methods they were using to achieve their goals. Overall, this taught me that sometimes people fight each other not because one side is wrong and the other is right, they fight because both sides are right (or perhaps wrong). sometimes people fight for the sake of their ideas and beliefs rather than what we might consider absolute goodness or evil. In my future playthroughs, I always chose the imperial legion because my ideas and beliefs were more in line with the Imperial Legion compared to the Stormcloaks, but I also knew that the Stormcloacks were neither wrong nor bad -they were just people who had different ideas and could be right. Well that was it! Which faction did you choose?
City boy? Although not absolutely, there's been a strange correlation been noticed between your sides in the civil war and the type of area you live in. I certainly sided with the Stormcloaks. I felt, in particular, the obviously false propaganda against Ulfric mirrored alot of what we see in real life. Easily, the best examble is the book The Bear of Markarth, which should adequately be juxtaposed by the non-chalant conversation that you walk into upon walking into Ulfric's stronghold, and just waiting for everyone to get done talking.

I think another similar classic example for those more familiar with the lore is The Talos Mistake. The the Dawngard expansion you find a copy of this book at the castle The obvious Knights of the Nine DLC connection for the most casual of players, but understanding that Talos is confirmed to be a Shezzarine should really deepen the wound and significance of the story.
The following list was created by the ex-developer Michael Kirkbride and was made to list Lorkhan's avatars. The list's exclusion of Pelinal Whitestrake has led many to believe that it is only listing the Shezarrines associated with the god Talos. Note how it lists names normally believed to be synonymous (such as Hjalti, Talos, Septim) as separate entities.

Lorkhan and his avatars:

1. Wulfharth L
2. Hjalti O
3. Ysmir R
4. Talos K
5. Arctus H
6. Septim A
N
The "N" was later said to be in reference to the New Man.[UL 12]
LORKHAN was the god in the series who ultimately created the land where man, mer, and beast thrive. The infernal conflicts in the world are usually somehow derived from the fight over LOKRHAN, which, as you can see, includes Talos. The story basically is that Lorkhan brought the world together with the sacrifice of the divines. Mankind believes this was willing sacrifice (to take of themselves to create the domain, much like the Daedra take of themselves to create their own domain), meanwhile the mer believe that Lorkhan did this as a trick and forced them to sacrifice of themselves.
GOG.com: With our Spring Sale in full bloom, we have a surprise for you! Now you can get a chance to win one of 120 selected games thanks to our colorful Spring Sale Contest!

To participate, just let us know in the comments what have you learned from a video game that has helped you in real life?

Be sure to enter your comment before the contest ends on April 1st 2021, 6 PM UTC.
I learned English, I'm from Mexico and in the early nineties english education was very basic (dog, cat, house, pencil, etc). Almost everything was in Spanish or translated to spanish so as I got into videogames and I wanted to really understand the plot, I had to look up for words in a dictionary or ask my sister for the meaning of some words, later text based games like Hugo's House of Horrors and Maniac mansion forced me to improve further my english understanding. That kind of challenges always kept me ahead of my classmates for many years. That also helped me in my current job since we have clients from the US and I have to talk to them directly.
1. I learned English to play games. Lol.
2. Sneak my back and I will sneak yours. If you wanna ask a favour form somebody, you need to help them. Even if there is apocalypse going on.
From roguelikes, to pick my fights--sometimes it's better to avoid confrontation, especially if you're not ready for it yet. Think slowly and carefully about situations. Maybe irl you don't risk to be killed by an orc, but the general principle still stands.
But also, from games in general, English haha. The struggle when the story-heavy games you know you would enjoy aren't available in your language and you're 12 and barely know the language...
Post edited March 25, 2021 by auguri1
GOG.com: To participate, just let us know in the comments what have you learned from a video game that has helped you in real life?
English. Specifically, I have trained my English skills a lot with Ultima 7. I only had it in English and there is quite an amount of text to read. Admittedly, it made my English a bit quaint. Since Ultima uses a kind of Shakespereanesque English. But my teacher didn't mind. On the contrary, she was charmed that someone so young speaks in such a classic way. :-)

Oh and I learned my way around DOS quite well. Fiddling around with system configuration to free up enough base memory to run those Origin games. Or to switch between EMS and XMS, depending on what the game I wanted to play required. That was knowledge that was useful for a while, but stopped being useful in the specific sense once DOS disappeared. But the knowledge of how memory works in computers, in a broader sense, was still useful later when I switched to Linux.
Schleichfahrt / Archimedean Dynasty:

Was totally into the game when we had "plate tectonics / ocean geography" in geography class - so I already knew the basics by heart - and showing the map* (that is sadly not included in the gog version) on an overhead projector made my presentation slightly more bearable for my classmates.

*this one
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/archimedean-dynasty/cover-art/gameCoverId,369722/
The Banner Saga Trilogy - the most difficult burdens in life are made easier to bear when you have others to share it with you.
Post edited March 25, 2021 by ian_asuncion