It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Herzlich Willkommen!

GOG.com goes German. Not completely, mind you, but starting today we'll be spreading our DRM-free love in one more language. Whether you're here because of the news, or you've been with us for a while, here is what we're doing to make our German speaking friends feel a little more welcome on GOG.com:

-A German version of our website. You can change your language using the drop-down menu towards the bottom of every page.
-A German corner of our forums. Your home away from home.
-German customer support. If you're more comfortable talking to us in your native language.
-More games in German. We're rolling out 25+ German localisations for our games today, bringing the total up to 350+.

No big announcement would be complete without a huge sale! This weekend we're holding the German-riffic <span class="bold">Herzlich Willkommen!</span> promo. The highlight is a ridiculous 97% off Deponia, but there are over 25 other German gaming hits available as well. There is adventuring with the remaining Deponia games, the cult strategy of The Settlers, the tough and turn-based tactics in Blackguards 1 and 2, and many, many more feats of German game design.

Check out <span class="bold">the weekend promo page</span> to see the full lineup. The promo will last until Tuesday, March 3, at 4:59 AM GMT.

Update:
Two games from our catalog had to be made unavailable in Germany: Commandos Ammo Pack and Commandos 2+3. Offering or promoting these games is considered a serious criminal offence according to German law, and we have to abide by this law to avoid the risk of serious legal action taken against GOG.com and GOG.com employees. Rest assured that if you've already bought a game - nothing will retroactively disappear from your shelves.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by Chamb
MarkoH01: The last Prince Of Persia game (the cell shaded one) already had German language.
Thanks!

HypersomniacLive: About two years ago...
Was that meant as a comment to my list and the Prince of Persia game?
The linked thread just doesn't tell me a lot. :)
Post edited February 28, 2015 by eiii
I've always been curious about Daedalic's adventures, but never got around to try one of their games. With Deponia at less than a buck, I guess it's now or never! I'm downloading it right now.
eiii: Thanks!

Was that meant as a comment to my list and the Prince of Persia game?
The linked thread just doesn't tell me a lot. :)
No, just a general comment and a reminder of how things were viewed as recently as two years ago. Why would you think it was?
Piranjade: While I will continue to use the site in English I can now finally refer friends and family whose English isn't that good to GOG! YAY!
Yep. The colorful birdy cheeps out what I think. This will bring gog.com another huge step forward! :)

Habta fein jemacht Gogonauten! Auf euch! Prost! :D
("Well done gogonauts! Here's to you! Cheers!")
Danke.Nein Danke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdG09fQ8Ek
HypersomniacLive: Why would you think it was?
The chain of these two posting seemed to make a bit of sense:

MarkoH01: The last Prince Of Persia game (the cell shaded one) already had German language.
HypersomniacLive: About two years ago...

But then following your link didn't make a sense anymore to me. :D
Herzlich Willkommen von wegen! Allein der Titel dieser News ein zynischer Schlag ins gesicht. Eher Herzlich Willkommen Zensur! Zuerst reginale Preise und jetzt auch noch reginale Locks. Pft.. Immer wieder mal verabschiedet sich sich GOG von einem ihrer Prinzipien. Solange das auch nur häppchenweise geschieht, hällt sich der Aufschrei der Kunden wenigstens in grenzen und der ganze kommerzielle Rotz wie DRM, DLCs, Season Passes und Konsorten kann schleichend aber sicher etabliert werden. GOG geht echt den Bach runter. Mein Vertrauen tendiert mittlerweile gegen null.
I've learned more about German law than I ever thought possible by reading this thread.

I found the "noteworthy findings" on this page quite amusing. It appears the individuals responsible for adding URLs to the "secret" block list the German government maintains are clueless about how the internet even works. That sounds about right for a government agency.
Post edited February 28, 2015 by CrowTRobo
pbay: As long as you don't sell games that glorify Nazi rule there should be no reason to stop selling them in Germany. The German criminal code has important exemptions (which have their grounds in the German constitution - the highest ranking German law) when it comes to art and similar publications. Games like Commandos can be considered art and do not condone extremist behavior - quite the opposite.
uhm no
that case was actually already decided in court. There is an official court order to ban that game in Germany.
Amtsgericht Kassel 24.06.1999/ Aktenzeichen: 132Js32822.9/98-201Gs

This is not just a speculation from GOG, this is as official as it gets.

If you think the ruling was wrong, by all means go to court and appeal the ruling.
But accusing GOG that they interpreted something wrong, is just nonsense
Post edited February 28, 2015 by immi101
After all those new publishers some good news would come...
GOG, you´re drunk.
Thank you for the german site and the wonderful censorship you will give us now. (Commandos-Games).

Greetings from Germany.
immi101: uhm no
that case was actually already decided in court. There is an official court order to ban that game in Germany.
Amtsgericht Kassel 24.06.1999/ Aktenzeichen: 132Js32822.9/98-201Gs

This is not just a speculation from GOG, this is as official as it gets.

If you think the ruling was wrong, by all means go to court and appeal the ruling.
But accusing GOG that they interpreted something wrong, is just nonsense
Uhm yes. You probably haven't understood how German criminal procedure works. An Amtsgericht won't set binding 'precedents'. EVERY court in Germany can decide differently. Btw. I didn't just guess my advice or google it but actually successfully studied law.
Pete Seeger- Die Gedanken Sind Frei:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbwQXVcbkU0

And in German:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVCdKVqKblA
Shambhala: I remember that there was a way to skim a thread by showing only staff posts, could someone be so kind to remind me how it was done?
Smannesman: By clicking the exclamation sign bloopy thing next to the threads name?
JudasIscariot: Click the little gear icon to the right of the thread title :)
Right, thanks to both of you!
Post edited February 28, 2015 by Shambhala
GOG.com: snip
Utuzuu: I don't know how internet shops that sell immaterial goods across national borders work in this regard, though.
dc6jgk: Then you should maybe avoid making any comments about that. I do (internationally) sell software for a living myself and I consider myself an activist for free speech (Art 5 GG anyone ?), running several TOR relays etc. as well.

There is absolutely no reason why GOG should be legally obliged to comply to any German law as long as they operate and bill from Poland or any other country except Germany. I doubt that they plan to open an actual German company, with staff and a real office ("Ladungsfähige Anschrift") in Germany.

My decision is made. They censor, I stop buying. Period.
I have also recommended gog to quite a few people in the past for political reasons (DRM). That will obviously end as well.
The blues should really read this.
If this is the case and they don't have an obligation to follow German censoring at all, I'll stop buying too.
Post edited February 28, 2015 by Klumpen0815