It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Herzlich Willkommen!

GOG.com goes German. Not completely, mind you, but starting today we'll be spreading our DRM-free love in one more language. Whether you're here because of the news, or you've been with us for a while, here is what we're doing to make our German speaking friends feel a little more welcome on GOG.com:

-A German version of our website. You can change your language using the drop-down menu towards the bottom of every page.
-A German corner of our forums. Your home away from home.
-German customer support. If you're more comfortable talking to us in your native language.
-More games in German. We're rolling out 25+ German localisations for our games today, bringing the total up to 350+.

No big announcement would be complete without a huge sale! This weekend we're holding the German-riffic <span class="bold">Herzlich Willkommen!</span> promo. The highlight is a ridiculous 97% off Deponia, but there are over 25 other German gaming hits available as well. There is adventuring with the remaining Deponia games, the cult strategy of The Settlers, the tough and turn-based tactics in Blackguards 1 and 2, and many, many more feats of German game design.

Check out <span class="bold">the weekend promo page</span> to see the full lineup. The promo will last until Tuesday, March 3, at 4:59 AM GMT.

Update:
Two games from our catalog had to be made unavailable in Germany: Commandos Ammo Pack and Commandos 2+3. Offering or promoting these games is considered a serious criminal offence according to German law, and we have to abide by this law to avoid the risk of serious legal action taken against GOG.com and GOG.com employees. Rest assured that if you've already bought a game - nothing will retroactively disappear from your shelves.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by Chamb
InfraSuperman: Are you sure about that? I'm genuinely asking, since I was sure they were still doing that shit. The releases of the German translation of Watchmen are still censored, even ones from 2013. Although that might be because it's an older comic, of course.
I know that this never seemed to apply to the original English books, though. The uncensored English versions of comics like Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns were always available in bookstores and on Amazon, without any problems to be seen.
I'm pretty sure (I have a collection of several thousand comic books). Of course there are still exceptions, but the general trend is to keep swastikas and NS symbols untouched. Not sure about the recent Watchmen edition. If it is still censored, it's probably because it's a simple reprint from the same publisher.

Edit: Just checked my Watchmen edition from 2008 and the only swastika I could find (chapter 1, page 10) is uncensored.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by PaterAlf
JudasIscariot: Look, we know it's a crap situation but we aren't going to tussle with the government of a given country. Feel free to critique, criticize etc. the current situation but it's a different ball game when a) you're trying to run a business on a worldwide scale and b) lawsuits tend to be costly.
Dont forget c) you opened up Pandora's box when you chose to introduce local currencies and regional pricing.

rayden54: *pulls out the popcorn*

Money > principles every time. I'm just surprised it took the rest of you so long to realize it. GOG's not some great advocate for consumer rights-they're a business.
Apparently (please do correct me if I'm wrong), you weren't here prior to May 2014 so I don't think you quite understand the issue.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by Lemon_Curry
I hope you include spanish some day.
FraggingBard: No Swastikas

Remember when you banned a game in Australia because the Australian government didn't like it but let everyone else in the world have it? And got rid of swastikas on the world wide forums because the German government didn't like it?

Me neither. It's great being consistent hey. ^ ^

And incidentally that's the problem with your perspective; it's hard to keep track of and tends to change when offered a big enough incentive.
JudasIscariot: Look, we know it's a crap situation but we aren't going to tussle with the government of a given country. Feel free to critique, criticize etc. the current situation but it's a different ball game when a) you're trying to run a business on a worldwide scale and b) lawsuits tend to be costly.
So you won't tussle with the german government? Totally fine implement a age verification for german customers because every time someone buys a game rated 18 by the USK, buys a unrated game (which is automatically rated 18 btw. around 80% of all the games you offer count as unrated in Germany) or buys a indexed game it is a violation of the german youth protection law.

Of course you can't pick a random age verification system because there are only a few which are approved by the KJM also those age verification systems aren't cheap (Steam regret to implement one because of the costs but hey they don't care about german laws anyway).

You CAN'T just pick a law and say "we have to obey it " and think everything is alright. You have to obey ALL laws then because this is how it works or with your words "lawsuits tend to be costly"!
DanTheKraut: So you won't tussle with the german government? Totally fine implement a age verification for german customers because every time someone buys a game rated 18 by the USK, buys a unrated game (which is automatically rated 18 btw. around 80% of all the games you offer count as unrated in Germany) or buys a indexed game it is a violation of the german youth protection law.

Of course you can't pick a random age verification system because there are only a few which are approved by the KJM also those age verification systems aren't cheap (Steam regret to implement one because of the costs but hey they don't care about german laws anyway).

You CAN'T just pick a law and say "we have to obey it " and think everything is alright. You have to obey ALL laws then because this is how it works or with your words "lawsuits tend to be costly"!
Don't give them more funny ideas.
Why the hell are we having an argument about gog asking a guy to remove a swastika? Honestly why are we even arguing about that?

Secondly, a big wtf at all the coolguys talking about leaving when galaxy shows up. gog has repeatedly stated that nothing would change for how they do things with galaxy. and until it does, you can't call out galaxy for anything bad.

all that said, this track record you're cultivating of sweeping shit under the rug is not very good. TET be all "Good News! <very debatable news>". But at least that second bit was there.

It looks worse you not even mentioning the very significant potential downside this had for the german guys on the site. I say potential because honestly, the games lost aren't really the biggest of deals. Certainly not the mortal kombat bundle anyway with its problems. But the potential is there. And gog would have no one hear anything of it apparently. Doesn't look all that good.
If gog can't "promote" these games, does that mean they'll never have a sale again? (Or at least not be advertised on the front page, meaning we'll have to watch the wishlist/on sale filters of gog for a sale? We have had silent sales on here before.)
johnnygoging: Why the hell are we having an argument about gog asking a guy to remove a swastika? Honestly why are we even arguing about that?

Secondly, a big wtf at all the coolguys talking about leaving when galaxy shows up. gog has repeatedly stated that nothing would change for how they do things with galaxy. and until it does, you can't call out galaxy for anything bad.

all that said, this track record you're cultivating of sweeping shit under the rug is not very good. TET be all "Good News! <very debatable news>". But at least that second bit was there.

It looks worse you not even mentioning the very significant potential downside this had for the german guys on the site. I say potential because honestly, the games lost aren't really the biggest of deals. Certainly not the mortal kombat bundle anyway with its problems. But the potential is there. And gog would have no one hear anything of it apparently. Doesn't look all that good.
I hate regional blocks and I am sure GOG hates them as well, but when the want to sell to certain country, they need to abide by it's laws, even if they are petty laws.
I really like Germans in general and I even understand why they have this law because of historic reasons.
On the other hand, the end of WW II is almost 70 years ago and almost all the Germans I've met so far despise Nazism as much as I do. Facing the horrors that your grandparents might have committed, although not always voluntarily, takes a lot of time to heal. In that way the younger German People are all victims of this ghastly war as well.
My grandparents were lucky enough to survive going underground and I have been blessed by being able to meet them until half of them aged to more than 90 years old. I am still grateful to the people that put themselves in significant danger to harbour them. One of my grandfathers deserted the Anschluss and the other worked for the resistance.
Both of them would undoubtedly be shot upon discovery, probably after torture...Hua, grisly thought there.

Surely the Germans that were born after the end of WW II are mature enough to face those facts and not rally to the swastika as soon as they see it depicted in a video game. There will always be a few fanatics and easiily manipulatable people out there that will, regardless if they have just played a video game about Nazi Germany or not. It doesn't matter whether they are playing as one of the Axis or one of the Allies united against nazism.
But hey, this takes time. Someday, this ban will be lifted, but I'm not sure when that will be. We'll see.

To conclude this: I can read German, but wrting it correctly is a another matter altogether.
I just hope that the different language sites will not dilute the community forums too much. Oh well, we'll see how well this works.,,
Post edited February 27, 2015 by jorlin
rayden54: *pulls out the popcorn*

Money > principles every time. I'm just surprised it took the rest of you so long to realize it. GOG's not some great advocate for consumer rights-they're a business.
Heh, this is why I've never waved the "GoG is love GoG is life" flag. Anyone who honestly believes that they're some champion of "the little guy against the world" needs to reexamine gog's business model. And their profit margins.
PaladinWay: As a note, Swastikas have a negative connotation in the West due to people's actions. There's nothing wrong with someone wanting to work to break that association so that it's another historical symbol with a variety of meanings. It's not like we in the US shun the cross as a symbol of hate just because the KKK has a habit of using it as one.
Absolutely! I shun the cross as a symbol of hate because of all the crimes committed in the name of Christianity.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by Ragnarblackmane
Ragnarblackmane: Heh, this is why I've never waved the "GoG is love GoG is life" flag. Anyone who honestly believes that they're some champion of "the little guy against the world" needs to reexamine gog's business model. And their profit margins.
Agreed. They've been going downhill for quite some time now. This is just another example of it, and there will be more to come. There always is as companies grow...
MK 1-3 are back, Commandos games are not really my thing, and the list of banished games in germany is fairly short (I just would miss the Wolfenstein games in the future). After gog.com informed us with an update, I am good with the situation.

However, I have one important question to gog.com:

A release in germany is often not only dependend on the law issue, but also on the publisher who is not sure about a german release (and even uses region lock).

If a publisher asks gog, to exclude the german site, even though there are no legal issues in germany, what would gog.com do?

- excluding the game from germany and never mention it to us?
- not sell the game at all, worldwide?

(I hope it comes to neither option)

The problem here is not the banned games, it is the inability to acess the international site via a german IP. But I guess, it is a technical issue because of a shared domain, not intentional.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by Rhyney
johnnygoging: Secondly, a big wtf at all the coolguys talking about leaving when galaxy shows up. gog has repeatedly stated that nothing would change for how they do things with galaxy. and until it does, you can't call out galaxy for anything bad.
Right, as GOG always communicates openly and tells all the downsides before the community even can find out things by themselves, how can you dare to have any doubt!

PS: Isn't the current download interface removed when the Galaxy client is released so that the lgogdownloader will stop working? I'm looking forward to download the updates for a few hundred games and the, then maybe not anymore purchased, new games through the browser interface. Welcome to the new world of Galaxy!
eiii: PS: Isn't the current download interface removed when the Galaxy client is released so that the lgogdownloader will stop working? I'm looking forward to download the updates for a few hundred games and the, then maybe not anymore purchased, new games through the browser interface. Welcome to the new world of Galaxy!
I am sure, the GoG downloader would be integrated into the galaxy client. Even if gog.com would be evil, leaving the downloader out would make no sense or profit for them.

Don´t judge someone based on your assumption, even If you were disappointed in the past. Lets wait until Galaxy is released.
That's great, but I wonder: if I don't have the other languages selected as favorites, must they constantly show up? I don't know French or German, I really don't need to see them under "general forums" all the time. Just saying.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by DieRuhe
johnnygoging: Secondly, a big wtf at all the coolguys talking about leaving when galaxy shows up. gog has repeatedly stated that nothing would change for how they do things with galaxy. and until it does, you can't call out galaxy for anything bad.
eiii: Right, as GOG always communicates openly and tells all the downsides before the community even can find out things by themselves, how can you dare to have any doubt!

PS: Isn't the current download interface removed when the Galaxy client is released so that the lgogdownloader will stop working? I'm looking forward to download the updates for a few hundred games and the, then maybe not anymore purchased, new games through the browser interface. Welcome to the new world of Galaxy!
eiii: PS: Isn't the current download interface removed when the Galaxy client is released so that the lgogdownloader will stop working? I'm looking forward to download the updates for a few hundred games and the, then maybe not anymore purchased, new games through the browser interface. Welcome to the new world of Galaxy!
Rhyney: I am sure, the GoG downloader would be integrated into the galaxy client. Even if gog.com would be evil, leaving the downloader out would make no sense or profit for them.

Don´t judge someone based on your assumption, even If you were disappointed in the past. Lets wait until Galaxy is released.
Rhyney is correct, GOG has already stated that the Galaxy will offer the ability to download standalone installers and bonus content and that the GOG downloader will not be replaced until that feature is added. Also even without the GOG downloader one can still download games via the browser, get a good download manager and that's really all you need.

Galaxy will be available for Windows. Mac & Linux.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by BKGaming