It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Herzlich Willkommen!

GOG.com goes German. Not completely, mind you, but starting today we'll be spreading our DRM-free love in one more language. Whether you're here because of the news, or you've been with us for a while, here is what we're doing to make our German speaking friends feel a little more welcome on GOG.com:

-A German version of our website. You can change your language using the drop-down menu towards the bottom of every page.
-A German corner of our forums. Your home away from home.
-German customer support. If you're more comfortable talking to us in your native language.
-More games in German. We're rolling out 25+ German localisations for our games today, bringing the total up to 350+.

No big announcement would be complete without a huge sale! This weekend we're holding the German-riffic <span class="bold">Herzlich Willkommen!</span> promo. The highlight is a ridiculous 97% off Deponia, but there are over 25 other German gaming hits available as well. There is adventuring with the remaining Deponia games, the cult strategy of The Settlers, the tough and turn-based tactics in Blackguards 1 and 2, and many, many more feats of German game design.

Check out <span class="bold">the weekend promo page</span> to see the full lineup. The promo will last until Tuesday, March 3, at 4:59 AM GMT.

Update:
Two games from our catalog had to be made unavailable in Germany: Commandos Ammo Pack and Commandos 2+3. Offering or promoting these games is considered a serious criminal offence according to German law, and we have to abide by this law to avoid the risk of serious legal action taken against GOG.com and GOG.com employees. Rest assured that if you've already bought a game - nothing will retroactively disappear from your shelves.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by Chamb
JudasIscariot: I know that today's German launch is being met with a mixed reaction but could you at very least change your avatar? I don't think greeting German posters with a swastika during the German language launch of our site sets the best example of our community.
realkman666: Yes, being offended for other people now. Great. Should take a few minutes to update.
Did you really think that was a good idea? XD
Swonker: I didn't say that was good. Swastikas are offensive and vulgar.
Lesigh, no they're not.

This is precisely what we were discussing in another thread. Swastiskas themselves are most certainly NOT offensive neither are they vulgar, they are a symbol of good fortune used for thousands of years in mysticism, and an important part of hinduism.

But they are forever marred by their association with offensive vulgar persons.

The sad part though, is that going by what german posters said, Germany itself seems to be the country most intent on not letting go of that association and allowing the swastika to recover its original meaning.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by j0ekerr
j0ekerr: Lesigh, no they're not.

This is precisely what we were discussing in another thread. Swastiskas themselves are most certainly NOT offensive neither are they vulgar, they are a symbol of good fortune used for thousands of years in mysticism, and an important part of hinduism.

But they are forever marred by their association with offensive vulgar persons.
I'm sorry, but that's not the connotation they have anymore. Swastikas are created/displayed to send a certain message, and it's not good fortune.

What matters is the context, and swastikas are never used in a good one.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by Swonker
realkman666: Yes, being offended for other people now. Great. Should take a few minutes to update.
phaolo: Did you really think that was a good idea? XD
I indeed often forget that a lot of people would rather let evil and terrorists win by letting them define our world. I'm dumb like that.

Swonker: What matters is the context, and swastikas are never used in a good one.
I will frame this.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by realkman666
Swonker: I go to 4chan all the time.
I've seen so many damn swastikas.
JudasIscariot: That's great but this isn't 4chan. Please try to understand our perspective on this matter :)
No Swastikas

Remember when you banned a game in Australia because the Australian government didn't like it but let everyone else in the world have it? And got rid of swastikas on the world wide forums because the German government didn't like it?

Me neither. It's great being consistent hey. ^ ^

And incidentally that's the problem with your perspective; it's hard to keep track of and tends to change when offered a big enough incentive.
Swonker: I'm sorry, but that's not the connotation they have anymore. Swastikas are created/displayed to send a certain message, and it's not good fortune.

What matters is the context, and swastikas are never used in a good one.
That... is just... I don't even...

You know what? No! I won't even try. Why waste breath or typing strikes in this case?
Swonker: What matters is the context, and swastikas are never used in a good one.
Quick search result

"For the Hindus and Buddhists in India and other Asian countries, the swastika was an important symbol for many thousands of years and, to this day, the symbol can still be seen in abundance - on temples, buses, taxis, and on the cover of books. It was also used in Ancient Greece and can be found in the remains of the ancient city of Troy, which existed 4,000 years ago. The ancient Druids and the Celts also used the symbol, reflected in many artefacts that have been discovered. It was used by Nordic tribes and even early Christians used the Swastika as one of their symbols, including the Teutonic Knights, a German medieval military order, which became a purely religious Catholic Order.

[...]

A Sanskrit scholar P. R. Sarkar in 1979 said that the deeper meaning of the word is ‘Permanent Victory’. He also said that as any symbol it can have positive and negative meaning depending on how it is drawn. So in Hinduism, the right-hand swastika is a symbol of the God Vishnu and the Sun, while the left-hand swastika is a symbol of Kali and Magic. The double meaning of symbols is common in ancient traditions, like for example the symbol of the pentagram (five pointed star), which is viewed as negative when pointing downwards, and positive when pointing upwards.

The earliest swastika ever found was uncovered in Mezine, Ukraine, carved on an ivory figurine, which dates an incredible 12,000 years, and one of the earliest cultures that are known to have used the Swastika was a Neolithic culture in Southern Europe, in the area that is now Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, known as the Vinca Culture, which dates back around 8,000 years.

In Buddhism, the swastika is a symbol of good fortune, prosperity, abundance and eternity. It is directly related to Buddha and can be found carved on statues on the soles of his feet and on his heart. It is said that it contains Buddha’s mind.

On the walls of the Christian catacombs in Rome, the symbol of the Swastika appears next to the words “ZOTIKO ZOTIKO” which means “Life of Life”. It can also be found on the window openings of the mysterious Lalibela Rock churches of Ethiopia, and in various other churches around the world.

In Nordic Myths, Odin is represented passing through space as a whirling disk or swastika looking down through all worlds. In North America, the swastika was used by the Navajos. In Ancient Greece, Pythagoras used the Swastika under the name ‘Tetraktys’ and it was a symbol linking heaven and earth, with the right arm pointing to heaven and its left arm pointing to Earth. It has been used by the Phoenicians as a symbol of the Sun and it was a sacred symbol used by the priestesses."
FraggingBard: No Swastikas

in Germany, Russia and some other countries the display of anything Nazi-related in public is prohibited
Oh I didn't know it wasn't only Germany who's being all weird about it. I learned something!
Post edited February 27, 2015 by Crackpot.756
low rated
realkman666: I indeed often forget that a lot of people would rather let evil and terrorists win by letting them define our world. I'm dumb like that.
Ah right, you are defending your freedom to post nazi swastikas everywhere for no reason, even if they're a worldwide terrible symbol... well done... lol XD
high rated
JudasIscariot: That's great but this isn't 4chan. Please try to understand our perspective on this matter :)
FraggingBard: No Swastikas

Remember when you banned a game in Australia because the Australian government didn't like it but let everyone else in the world have it? And got rid of swastikas on the world wide forums because the German government didn't like it?

Me neither. It's great being consistent hey. ^ ^

And incidentally that's the problem with your perspective; it's hard to keep track of and tends to change when offered a big enough incentive.
Look, we know it's a crap situation but we aren't going to tussle with the government of a given country. Feel free to critique, criticize etc. the current situation but it's a different ball game when a) you're trying to run a business on a worldwide scale and b) lawsuits tend to be costly.
JudasIscariot: Look, we know it's a crap situation but we aren't going to tussle with the government of a given country. Feel free to critique, criticize etc. the current situation but it's a different ball game when a) you're trying to run a business on a worldwide scale and b) lawsuits tend to be costly.
So between GOG's launch and today (and yesterday in the HM2 case) it wasn't a different ball game?

(Nice to see how one gets the blues involved though. Ask questions on topic, make connections to other events, bring back quite recent speeches of the higher ups, nothing. Have a swastika as an avatar, somebody pops in. Good to know.)
high rated
JudasIscariot: Look, we know it's a crap situation but we aren't going to tussle with the government of a given country. Feel free to critique, criticize etc. the current situation but it's a different ball game when a) you're trying to run a business on a worldwide scale and b) lawsuits tend to be costly.
Cavalary: So between GOG's launch and today (and yesterday in the HM2 case) it wasn't a different ball game?

(Nice to see how one gets the blues involved though. Ask questions on topic, make connections to other events, bring back quite recent speeches of the higher ups, nothing. Have a swastika as an avatar, somebody pops in. Good to know.)
I am not privy to all the legal details regarding the particular situation of some games being regionally blocked and, thus, that's why I am not answering too many questions related to anything of a possibly legal nature.
You have just offended a bloody lot of buddhists and hindus in the world.

Go and see Asia, it's always nice to get to know new things.
high rated
Well the problem for me here, as a German, is certainly not someone choosing a Swastika as avatar, but more the region locking of games.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by MaGo72
JudasIscariot: I am not privy to all the legal details regarding the particular situation of some games being regionally blocked and, thus, that's why I am not answering too many questions related to anything of a possibly legal nature.
And those who are privy (ahem, may I giggle?) choose to stay quiet and let you deal with the fallout of their actions and decisions. Yet you still have their backs... Heh.