It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Now you can experience an epic supernatural horror adventure first-hand. A free demo of ASYLUM featuring 2 hours of gameplay is now up for grabs on GOG.COM until 26th June, 1 PM UTC. Take part in a chilling journey into the darkest depths of your mind as you visit Hanwell Mental Institute, a silent witness to unimaginable atrocities that transpired between its endless corridors.
MarkoH01: Wait ... it is just time limited? That means that I could see much more if I hurry up. Thank you. Reinstalling the demo.
Sorry for the confusion! As clarry already has explained I was referring to the limited availability of the demo, which unfortunately seems to get the new standard for demos on GOG.
MarkoH01: Wait ... it is just time limited? That means that I could see much more if I hurry up. Thank you. Reinstalling the demo.
eiii: Sorry for the confusion! As clarry already has explained I was referring to the limited availability of the demo, which unfortunately seems to get the new standard for demos on GOG.
No problem - it was my fault. I simply should have read the announcement again. But it did not hurt to reinstall the demo so all is fine :)
Does anyone know what the point in time limited demos is? Are they just trying to save bandwidth?
Tried the demo briefly.

Maybe I am not quite familiar with the genre (modern point'n'click adventure? hidden object game? a clicking simulator?), but what I found somewhat curious was that I wasn't quite sure whether I was looking at a 3D world made out of polygons, or some kind of animated 2D picture. Since you can't freely move in the game but you "click" yourself to the next screen where you interact with objects, it could have just as well been a Myst or 7th Guest-like animated 2D view as far as I could tell.

Sure you could view to different directions, but since you couldn't move to any of those directions (but were rather "teleported" to the next view, Myst-like), it didn't fully reveal if it was all made out of polygons.
Post edited June 21, 2020 by timppu
IronArcturus: texture options?
If I'm correct, the game is pre-rendered for the most part. What kind of texture options would you expect?
Agustin: About Scratches: I get this request a lot, and seriously, if it were up to me the game would be free at this point. Unfortunately, due to a legal turmoil, it can't be sold anymore. I may look into this after we're doing with Asylum, but I really don't know. Right now I don't have the time or energy to get into a legal battle. So I'm really, really sorry about this.

Scratches is essentially abandonware and I don't care if you download it from somewhere around the web (I hear there's an upload in archive.org).
tfishell: How long have you guys been working on this game? I recall seeing a trailer several years back (circa 2017?) that may have been for this, but then not hearing anything about it for a while.
Agustin: A lot of time. Over 10 years now. So I'm glad (and relieved!) that people at least are liking its demo :D
Hello Agustin, it's great hearing from you (in contrast to other developers) and knowing that the game is almost ready!

Actually, we had exchanged a few emails back in 2007 about Scratches, with me being a fanboy and you being as polite as ever :)

I just have a tiny question about Asylum. Are there any time-limited sequences in the game? This is kind of the only thing that gets me anxious and disoriented in 1st person adventure games.

In any case, I can't wait for the release!
timppu: Tried the demo briefly.

Maybe I am not quite familiar with the genre (modern point'n'click adventure? hidden object game? a clicking simulator?), but what I found somewhat curious was that I wasn't quite sure whether I was looking at a 3D world made out of polygons, or some kind of animated 2D picture. Since you can't freely move in the game but you "click" yourself to the next screen where you interact with objects, it could have just as well been a Myst or 7th Guest-like animated 2D view as far as I could tell.

Sure you could view to different directions, but since you couldn't move to any of those directions (but were rather "teleported" to the next view, Myst-like), it didn't fully reveal if it was all made out of polygons.
Here's an explanation from the developer about how they do the "magic" in this game and why you must click to go to the next scene. It's all cubes built from flat images.

https://youtu.be/mF0uAUgyHNg
airnmusic: Here's an explanation from the developer about how they do the "magic" in this game and why you must click to go to the next scene. It's all cubes built from flat images.

https://youtu.be/mF0uAUgyHNg
Thanks, that was a complete answer to my question. Now I know.
Thanks all for the feedback, I’ve been reading everything! We were asked that a lot over the years: “why not do a full 3D game?”. And the answer remains the same: it simply wouldn’t have been the same game. The reaction to the demo has been overwhelmingly positive, so we know we’re on the right path. ASYLUM isn’t an action game or survival horror — it’s a traditional point-and-click adventure. Full 3D would’ve taken away the impression we want to give. It’s all mostly pre-rendered, with very few polygons and environments as detailed as we can :)

Panaias: I just have a tiny question about Asylum. Are there any time-limited sequences in the game? This is kind of the only thing that gets me anxious and disoriented in 1st person adventure games.

In any case, I can't wait for the release!
None whatsoever!
Agustin: Thanks all for the feedback, I’ve been reading everything! We were asked that a lot over the years: “why not do a full 3D game?”. And the answer remains the same: it simply wouldn’t have been the same game. The reaction to the demo has been overwhelmingly positive, so we know we’re on the right path. ASYLUM isn’t an action game or survival horror — it’s a traditional point-and-click adventure. Full 3D would’ve taken away the impression we want to give. It’s all mostly pre-rendered, with very few polygons and environments as detailed as we can :)
The demo was a lot of fun! Is there an ETA on the full version?
IronArcturus: The demo was a lot of fun! Is there an ETA on the full version?
Thanks! Yeah, that's the golden question. To be honest, we can't pinpoint an exact date yet. We're already back to work and assessing pending tasks. For now I have to say "within a year", and maybe sooner than expected. It's looking good :)

We'll confirm that date as soon as we can!
Agustin: Thanks! Yeah, that's the golden question. To be honest, we can't pinpoint an exact date yet. We're already back to work and assessing pending tasks. For now I have to say "within a year", and maybe sooner than expected. It's looking good :)

We'll confirm that date as soon as we can!
Thanks! :)
The Halloween sale is the perfect release date for a game like this.
Cool! Let's try it out!
Glad to see you're still around Agustin! I keep forgetting about this game, and then you pop up from time to time in Adventure forums and remind us all that you're still working on it.

Once this game comes out, you can bet a bunch of us will be all over it, we've been waiting so long. Take your time though. You obviously want to get it right, and we're patient!