It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Now you can experience an epic supernatural horror adventure first-hand. A free demo of ASYLUM featuring 2 hours of gameplay is now up for grabs on GOG.COM until 26th June, 1 PM UTC. Take part in a chilling journey into the darkest depths of your mind as you visit Hanwell Mental Institute, a silent witness to unimaginable atrocities that transpired between its endless corridors.
high rated
About Scratches: I get this request a lot, and seriously, if it were up to me the game would be free at this point. Unfortunately, due to a legal turmoil, it can't be sold anymore. I may look into this after we're doing with Asylum, but I really don't know. Right now I don't have the time or energy to get into a legal battle. So I'm really, really sorry about this.

Scratches is essentially abandonware and I don't care if you download it from somewhere around the web (I hear there's an upload in archive.org).
Agustin: ...
tfishell: How long have you guys been working on this game? I recall seeing a trailer several years back (circa 2017?) that may have been for this, but then not hearing anything about it for a while.
A lot of time. Over 10 years now. So I'm glad (and relieved!) that people at least are liking its demo :D
Post edited June 19, 2020 by Agustin
Really nice to see you here, Agustin. Thanks so much for this demo. Much appreciated.
Kudos for the grind house trailer... that voice..... shivers!
Thank you so much for this, Agustín, you rock!

As a huge fan of your previous work, I'm absolutely looking forward to this (it has been on my GOG wishlist ever since it was announced as 'Coming Soon' [and, yes, I know "soon" is kind of subjective, but that's just how GOG labels their upcoming games news articles]) and I instantly nabbed your demo -- oh, and made my girlfriend get it, too :P --, have been playing it for a while and I can safely say that if you keep this up, Asylum will be the best horror game I've played in a while.

Also, kudos to your programmer for optimizing the game so well. I'm running it on an extremely outdated machine, and it still plays smoothly while looking gorgeous. Oh, and that intro video? Just perfect.

Keep up the great work, super stoked to play Asylum when it's ready!
Post edited June 20, 2020 by groze
This is a nice surprise. Downloaded it and could see it in "owned games" but as soon as it was finished installing it disappeared. I can still see it in the "download/install" section but that will disappear i think when i shut down GOG so how do we find the demo next time? Thanks.
Agustin: A lot of time. Over 10 years now. So I'm glad (and relieved!) that people at least are liking its demo :D
I like :-)
Nice intro. Nice graphics. There wasn't really enough story or puzzles in the demo for me to say whether it's my kind of game or not. The outdoors looked so nice and inviting to explore, I hope the full game isn't all dark basements and cells and operating rooms :P.

I wonder if there's going to be more music/atmospheric sound effects in the final game? It felt a little.. empty, and missing something.

If it were up to me, I'd tweak the UI a bit to make it flow smoother. Many of the animations could play a little faster (rotating combo wheel, looking at your hand, etc.). There should always be a single key bound to "zoom out" or "back up" form whatever you're looking at close-up (I would love to use my mouse's "back button" -- the rearmost thumb button -- for this). I'd like if some button could also be used to skip something you've seen before (Casette? What happens if I click the casette player again, would I hear something new or perhaps eject the casette? Oh, it plays again, sigh.) Combination lock wheels should rotate both ways. It took me a while to realize mouse wheel can be used to cycle through items, maybe the game should explain this (maybe it did and I missed it). I'd reduce the vignette effect just a bit (I found that it gave me too much of a tunnel vision effect and ended up bumping brightness up to compensate).

Also seems like there's a bug with rotating items.. sometimes the range of rotation is restricted, almost as if an invisible cursor were hitting the sides of the screen, preventing further rotation. Sometimes putting the item down and picking it up again allows full 360 degree rotation.
Post edited June 20, 2020 by clarry
About fucking time! I loved Scratches as a kid and when I first heard you had a new game coming, I just knew I had to play it. I have followed Asylum from the very first time you announced it and each year since then I was checking for new information. I am so happy that after all those years it seems to be happening and I have to admit that it looks very promising. Also "Lovecraft", "Peter Cushing", "Lucio Fulci" combined with "No jump scares", well, that's the exact words I need to hear to just throw my money without hesitation.

Now, if only I had a strong enough PC to run the game....
Martian12: Now, if only I had a strong enough PC to run the game....
What's missing? The requirements seem pretty low to me. Except for that heart medication, but apparently you only need that on Windows.
Martian12: Now, if only I had a strong enough PC to run the game....
clarry: What's missing? The requirements seem pretty low to me. Except for that heart medication, but apparently you only need that on Windows.
The requirements are fine, my PC is old :/
Just finished the demo. I really, really like the intro. Graphics and controls are nice as well - though there should not be too many items you'll have to scroll through. Of course voice overs and some music are missing but the game is looking good. However the demo itself is not really scary - only the last bit showed where this is probably going. The demo is also quite short, was expecting to experience a bit more. Most time in the demo I simply explored hoping to "remember" - so no idea where the story will go. It really is interesting but with this really short demo I cannot say much more. It stays on the wishlist for now.
eiii: Asylum looks interesting. And thanks for adding Linux support. But I do not like these time-limited demos getting the new standard.
Wait ... it is just time limited? That means that I could see much more if I hurry up. Thank you. Reinstalling the demo.
MarkoH01: Wait ... it is just time limited?
Time limited as in "is now up for grabs on GOG.COM until 26th June, 1 PM UTC."

"Time limited offer: the demo is available to claim until 26th June, 1 pm UTC."

Hurrying up in game won't get you more content, I'm afraid.
Post edited June 20, 2020 by clarry
MarkoH01: Wait ... it is just time limited?
clarry: Time limited as in "is now up for grabs on GOG.COM until 26th June, 1 PM UTC."

"Time limited offer: the demo is available to claim until 26th June, 1 pm UTC."

Hurrying up in game won't get you more content, I'm afraid.
Thank you ... that is sad, but thank you for the explanation. *Uninstalling and waiting*
I love 3D games, I love horror and suspence games.
Ten years of work, a demo playable with Linux, a beautiful gift, that touches me a lot.
I appreciated the efforts, may feel a passionate team, which gives all it can in this project.
I wanted to let you know that I am with you, and hope for great success.

I agree with Clarry, the outdoors is nice to explore, a cemetery, a forest outing at night.
Maybe it’s already done!
May Tux be with you.
Post edited July 08, 2020 by LinuxFire