It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

nightcraw1er.488: Nice idea, but even if you'd eaten all the pies you wouldn't get more than the basic exe on the surface area of your body, let alone the graphics.
Sachys: Google Macro-tattoo (not sure how many result you will get - to see it is mind-boggling though!).
Yes, there is micro dot tech too, even so, that's still a heck of a lot of information to put on one body. Noing the world as it is now, there has probably been a study on it somewhere, but I couldn't find it from a search. Although I did come across this, which if accurate is surprising:
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/million-lines-of-code/
Have it added to your DNA, then your kids will Get your games.

of course your grand kids could end up with the genetic code for Grand Raider or Tomb Theft Auto.
mechmouse: Have it added to your DNA, then your kids will Get your games.

of course your grand kids could end up with the genetic code for Grand Raider or Tomb Theft Auto.
too organic. organic materials die and rotter. why not use DVDs made of STONE? they're even backwards-compatible!
www.extremetech.com/computing/92286-m-disc-is-a-dvd-made-out-of-stone-that-lasts-1000-years

Millenniata even goes on to say that the stone layer of its DVDs should retain data for over 10,000 years — but the polycarbonate coating is only good for 1,000 years. Still, both figures are just slightly larger than the 5-10 year average lifespan of hard drives, recordable DVDs, and flash drives.

good luck finding a DVD drive 1000 years later.
Post edited November 10, 2015 by dick1982
Gilozard: I'm one of the lucky saps who had DRM software physically impact their computer, back when SecuROM and StarForce were still around to menace people. I don't buy games with DRM. Life is too short to spend more hours reinstalling my OS and trying to resurrect dead hardware. ...
(Un)fortunately I never had the experience that DRM software physically impacted my computer. Even Steam games always ran smoothly (enough for me not to complain). Not sure if I should be happy or sad about it. :)

I still don't like DRM. But the life is too short argument would for me rather point towards the DRM direction. Why should I wait until DRM free games come to GOG - life is just too short for it. I'm still waiting for them to come but not because life is too short. I rather think that life is long enough so that patience will pay off.

Oh, actually I do both, GOG and Steam because actually life is really too short.
Trilarion: Oh, actually I do both, GOG and Steam because actually life is really too short.
Life is too short to play all the games I own. That's the inconvenient truth that I try to ignore when I succumb to the temptation to buy more.
I don't use the 'life is too short' argument. I go with the 'I'm going to enjoy my hobby to the fullest potential'. Hasn't been wrong for me yet.
Gilozard: I'm one of the lucky saps who had DRM software physically impact their computer, back when SecuROM and StarForce were still around to menace people. I don't buy games with DRM. Life is too short to spend more hours reinstalling my OS and trying to resurrect dead hardware. ...
Trilarion: (Un)fortunately I never had the experience that DRM software physically impacted my computer. Even Steam games always ran smoothly (enough for me not to complain). Not sure if I should be happy or sad about it. :)

I still don't like DRM. But the life is too short argument would for me rather point towards the DRM direction. Why should I wait until DRM free games come to GOG - life is just too short for it. I'm still waiting for them to come but not because life is too short. I rather think that life is long enough so that patience will pay off.

Oh, actually I do both, GOG and Steam because actually life is really too short.
Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing.

I suppose the difference is in our priorities. I'm not waiting for a game to release DRM-free, I'm simply uninterested until that happens because of DRM's essentially anti-customer nature and previous bad experience. I can definitely understand that someone who prioritized recent releases and hadn't had bad experiences would rather have the game now.

I think we'll see a shift away from DRM at some point. The day Steam's servers shut down - and it's going to happen at some point - will be chaos. Or when people start wanting to let their kids inherit their game collections. But until then there's a lot of people who have a pretty benign experience with DRM and I can understand not minding it when you haven't seen a downside.
mobutu: This is all what it is about: companies should get in line or bend-over for getting our money not the customers getting in line or bend-over to get some products.
Well, yeah. But it applies only if enough people actually act like that. And it is nowhere true nowadays, the vast majority does not care or does not understand as seen by many the answers. So it will go always worse.
Post edited November 11, 2015 by etb
Gilozard: I think we'll see a shift away from DRM at some point. The day Steam's servers shut down - and it's going to happen at some point - will be chaos.
Steam's servers will only shut down when PC gaming is dead.

dick1982: too organic. organic materials die and rotter. why not use DVDs made of STONE? they're even backwards-compatible!
www.extremetech.com/computing/92286-m-disc-is-a-dvd-made-out-of-stone-that-lasts-1000-years

Millenniata even goes on to say that the stone layer of its DVDs should retain data for over 10,000 years — but the polycarbonate coating is only good for 1,000 years. Still, both figures are just slightly larger than the 5-10 year average lifespan of hard drives, recordable DVDs, and flash drives.

Read this
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/20/million_year_storing_data_dna_swiss/

Gilozard: I think we'll see a shift away from DRM at some point. The day Steam's servers shut down - and it's going to happen at some point - will be chaos.
ET3D: Steam's servers will only shut down when PC gaming is dead.
I'm sure PAN-AM executive used to think similar things about their airline.

The laws around the digital world are changing and growing up. VALVe and the whole digital distribution market is going to have to grow and adapt with it.
Post edited November 11, 2015 by mechmouse
mechmouse: I'm sure PAN-AM executive used to think similar things about their airline.
PAN-AM assets were bought by Delta.

I bought games on the old Direct2Drive. That was later purchased by Gamefly, then re-spun as Direct2Drive. And you know what, I still have access to these games. My Impulse games? Still available from the Gamestop app, even though Gamestop is now selling only Steam keys, and GalCiv 2 which I bought on Impulse is also available on my Stardock account. You know what, even my Desura games are still available for download.

Which is why, in my opinion, if my Steam games stop being available it would mean that something really bad has happened to the PC industry in general. I can't think of anything that would cause that beyond something bad happening to the world in general or the PC industry dying.

mechmouse: The laws around the digital world are changing and growing up. VALVe and the whole digital distribution market is going to have to grow and adapt with it.
So far Valve has adapted well enough.
Post edited November 11, 2015 by ET3D

dick1982: too organic. organic materials die and rotter. why not use DVDs made of STONE? they're even backwards-compatible!

No need to worry. In 1000 years humans will either be beams of light soaring through the universe as powerful demi-gods... or we'll all be bleached bones collecting dust on the shores of some new inland sea that no one but animals will ever witness.
Emob78: ...snip
No need to worry. In 1000 years humans will either be beams of light soaring through the universe as powerful demi-gods...
Oh, that is funny, you must have been watching too much Star Trek. The last human evolution was the opposable thumb, after that it all went downhill rapidly.
No need to worry. In 1000 years humans will either be beams of light soaring through the universe as powerful demi-gods...
nightcraw1er.488: Oh, that is funny, you must have been watching too much Star Trek. The last human evolution was the opposable thumb, after that it all went downhill rapidly.
My apologies. Picard's word poison goes deep. Crops up from time to time.

Therapy for removal is usually a heavy dose of American Gladiators and a bottle of ether.
nightcraw1er.488: Oh, that is funny, you must have been watching too much Star Trek. The last human evolution was the opposable thumb, after that it all went downhill rapidly.
There was a voyager episode where Jayneway and Tom (something or other) rapidly evolved, into a large guppy like creature and had babies.