It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

§pec†re: GPUs are dead.
GPUs are alive and kicking. :P
Problem is, the term "GPU" is misleading. They should be named something like "Multi-Purpose Processing Unit".
And should be regulated by money-printing laws (why everyone is allowed to print money? WTF?!).

Graphics part is a useful atavism.
Today videocard buyers do not use this function. They are producing crypto money for Wall-Street or whoever has those insane (billions and trillions) amounts of cash. $_$

Then they sell half-dead videocards to gamers. O_O
Post edited January 20, 2022 by vsr
Would be fine if it was half the price i guess. Looks like I can keep my RX480 for a while longer...
ignisferroque: Would be fine if it was half the price i guess. Looks like I can keep my RX480 for a while longer...
u can totally stick with a 480....its games get slow...just use FSR...

its already available globally with wine-ge and it will soon be available as RSR
6500 is useless, but there are reasons for its uselessness. It's a kludge to have something available in the low (well, 'low') price bracket, and wasn't really intended as a desktop card but as a laptop one. As such it's very badly balanced for desktop.

Unfortunately you can't just add on extra PCIe lanes and the like at the last minute when you decide you want to make it for desktop as well. While that is pretty simple in theory it requires taping the whole thing out again which is costly and takes a lot of time. Would it be worth waiting 9 months to get it with an 8 or 16x PCIe bus? Probably not. And from AMD's pov they'll probably sell the whole run even with it being a bad product since there's such a large shortage.

They'd be likely still be making more 570/580s if they could, though they'd probably sell mostly to miners anyway. I've been told there's literally no GDDR5 available any more though.
6500 isn't exactly useless but for its price it's not worth it. None of them are really.

I also have my 480, before that I only went for APUs, and I'm definitely going back to those if this continues and something happens to the 480 card.

Some might think 5600G/5700G f.ex. is useless too, however, it does pretty well in games. Won't be in the same league as the 480, of course, but at least then I can play some without feeling like I throw money down the drain. Later on I can then choose a proper GPU once the price gets lower (or just continue with APUs).
Post edited January 22, 2022 by sanscript
I want to personally strangle whoever invented crypto.
During a wait, I had some time to read the in-depth review of the card. Twice as good as a 1050Ti 4 Gb is something though. I mean, I used a 1050Ti for some time, and it was actually pretty amazing what it could deliver (in that time) I played all of my games, granted with some restrictions in the newer titles but with absolute ease in the older titles. Even Warhammer 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda could be enjoyed.

This, upgraded laptop, card seems to me can fit into a whole range of products, satisfying gamers with a smaller need for GPU power to the 'Hey i'm a casual user that enjoys being ripped off in an already saturated market'

I believe Gamermeld reported that nvidia would soon release its own 'redundant' card, probably making due with some leftovers from other hardware, so maybe AMD won't be left entirely alone with this midget desktop anti mine pro consumer with a little heart card build.
Post edited January 22, 2022 by Zimerius
Crosmando: I want to personally strangle whoever invented crypto.
that might be considered illegal in most countries >-<
Funny because i do see value in this new card

first not anyone have freaking interests in stupid shooters or racing games
people exist that just play turn based games for example XCOM 2, or civilization series etc.
also their are people that play 5 a 6 years old games for example mass effect, dragon age, etc

this new videocard absolute delivers top quality for it's cost.
The lack of some video decoders and such is strange.
Top quality for its cost is a massive overstatement. In a sane market it would be an awful buy, and probably would not have been made (at least the way it was) in the first place.

For a desktop offering it's objectively bad. For a desktop offering at that price point it's objectively bad. Then again calling it useless which I did is a massive overstatement too, since it does have a use case, so...

AMD could probably have avoided some of the negativity by calling it a 6400XT instead. 6500XT implies performance that this card does not deliver. They still would have had pricing complaints but so has every card including those selling regularly at ~2x their purely theoretical MSRP.
Like at this point im rooting for the Intel GPU's how bad can they be!

And that hurts my soul to say that I hope Intel can pull it off!
Themken: The lack of some video decoders and such is strange.
There's some articles saying that the chip of the 6500 was designed for laptops and meant to run together with a Ryzen 6000 APU. Together with an APU there was no need for video de- and encoding.

The 6500 does exactly one thing: It shows what is wrong with the market! AMD's MSRP is 209 Euro. The top custom designs (with over the top triple-fan cooling solutions) go up to 300 Euro MSRP. When I search for the 6500 XT on my favorite store, I only find one model (the over the top triple-fan design) for 359 Euro. 359 Euro! For a butchered entry level GPU that is as fast (slow?) as AMD's four years old low/mid-range GPUs RX570 and 580! And the 570 and 580 basically were revised versions of the 470 and 480 GPUs from 2016!

Honestly, this is... Heck, I don't even know what this is! 350 Euro for a graphics card that doesn't even manage 30fps on 1080p monitors in some games? I'd just spend 200 Euro more and get a console instead!
Themken: The lack of some video decoders and such is strange.
real.geizterfahr: There's some articles saying that the chip of the 6500 was designed for laptops and meant to run together with a Ryzen 6000 APU. Together with an APU there was no need for video de- and encoding.

The 6500 does exactly one thing: It shows what is wrong with the market! AMD's MSRP is 209 Euro. The top custom designs (with over the top triple-fan cooling solutions) go up to 300 Euro MSRP. When I search for the 6500 XT on my favorite store, I only find one model (the over the top triple-fan design) for 359 Euro. 359 Euro! For a butchered entry level GPU that is as fast (slow?) as AMD's four years old low/mid-range GPUs RX570 and 580! And the 570 and 580 basically were revised versions of the 470 and 480 GPUs from 2016!

Honestly, this is... Heck, I don't even know what this is! 350 Euro for a graphics card that doesn't even manage 30fps on 1080p monitors in some games? I'd just spend 200 Euro more and get a console instead!
i found 2 in stores i usually take a look. Gigabyte and Asus, both going for 400 euro's. with an rx6600 as closest for 560 euro's
real.geizterfahr: Honestly, this is... Heck, I don't even know what this is! 350 Euro for a graphics card that doesn't even manage 30fps on 1080p monitors in some games? I'd just spend 200 Euro more and get a console instead!
I saw it on sale in UK for about £240. It's ridiculous these are costing almost the same price as a GTX 1060 and that was over 5 years ago.
Post edited January 23, 2022 by §pec†re