It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
I know this is an age-old post, but as my searches yesterday resulted in me ending up on this thread, I wanted to post my preferred solution to using an Xbox 360 Controller with FreeSpace 2. I'm using the GOG version of FreeSpace 2 with the OpenFS Project upgrades added on top, but that shouldn't really matter - as I imagine this would work with the stock FreeSpace 2 anyway.

Using GlovePIE (Free) I use the following .PIE script to map my Xbox controller to the Keyboard and Mouse inputs on my computer. I use the following script to map the first Xbox Controller on the system to, what I believe to be, a pretty good control scheme (using the right analogue stick to look around and the left to bank / change throttle).

The script is well commented, so using the FreeSpace 2 Reference Card you should be able to re-configure it easily. The steps to using this are;

1. Download GlovePIE at http://glovepie.org/glovepie.php

2. Download my FreeSpace2.PIE script at http://www.johnwordsworth.com/downloads/gaming/freespace2/FreeSpace2.PIE

3. Open GlovePIE and open the attached script with it from your HDD.

4. Customize the script as required.

5. Run the script.

6. Run Freespace. Using OpenFS I disabled the joystick entirely from the launcher, but you can presumably also disable the joypad from within the game itself (as it will see all of the Joypad input as Keyboard and Mouse inputs thanks to GlovePIE).
I just want to give a big hearty "Thank You!" to John for the post above! I followed these instructions and they work perfectly. You're the man. Thanks for the script.

The commenting is fantastically helpful; I want to turn down the Right Stick turning speed, as it's a bit too jumpy for my taste, and the commenting made that really easy.

Everyone else: make sure you turn on the mouse in FS2 options, too. :)
I too would like to thank you. This is really what I was looking for. It works wonderfully.
It's 2013 now and new peeps like me are finding this useful. Thanks very much Mr. Wordsworth!!
so this is working pretty darn well, i only have one question (which hopefully someone will answer): the left and right triggers are somehow defaulting to accelerate and decelerate respectively. anyone know how to turn this off? i keep finding myself going too fast/too slow during dogfights from firing weapons.
"Learn about Scientology, Falun Gong, or Homeopathy."

8^0

Umm, thanks for the software dude... But I'll pass on learning about bullpucky.

Thanks for the write up guy... Freespace 2 here I come!
JohnWordsworth: I know this is an age-old post, but as my searches yesterday resulted in me ending up on this thread, I wanted to post my preferred solution to using an Xbox 360 Controller with FreeSpace 2. I'm using the GOG version of FreeSpace 2 with the OpenFS Project upgrades added on top, but that shouldn't really matter - as I imagine this would work with the stock FreeSpace 2 anyway.

Using GlovePIE (Free) I use the following .PIE script to map my Xbox controller to the Keyboard and Mouse inputs on my computer. I use the following script to map the first Xbox Controller on the system to, what I believe to be, a pretty good control scheme (using the right analogue stick to look around and the left to bank / change throttle).

The script is well commented, so using the FreeSpace 2 Reference Card you should be able to re-configure it easily. The steps to using this are;

2. Download my FreeSpace2.PIE script at http://www.johnwordsworth.com/downloads/gaming/freespace2/FreeSpace2.PIE

5. Run the script.

6. Run Freespace. Using OpenFS I disabled the joystick entirely from the launcher, but you can presumably also disable the joypad from within the game itself (as it will see all of the Joypad input as Keyboard and Mouse inputs thanks to GlovePIE).
This is incredibly useful for a first-time freespace 2 player like myself... thanks a lot for posting it!
JohnWordsworth: I know this is an age-old post, but as my searches yesterday resulted in me ending up on this thread, I wanted to post my preferred solution to using an Xbox 360 Controller with FreeSpace 2. I'm using the GOG version of FreeSpace 2 with the OpenFS Project upgrades added on top, but that shouldn't really matter - as I imagine this would work with the stock FreeSpace 2 anyway.

5. Run the script.

I have to thank you for providing that script man. It is great!
Thanks from 2015! Aka THE FUTURE!
Thanks for this info! I had the problem as others where I start the game and the controls are stuck leaving me spinning, but this glovepie-script fixed whatever input issue my mouse was giving and I can actually use the mouse with it now!