It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
+1

Give me assurances that this'll run on Linux and I'll pre-order in a heartbeat. While a native version would be nice, of course, I'd be perfectly fine with unofficial official support for a translation layer solution, e.g. Proton/Lutris.
Not official as in legal exposure if something doesn't work. But official enough that you'd work with the Wine project, Valve etc., maybe submit a small patch, if the problem is on their end, fix something trivial or other, if it's on yours. It doesn't take much to go from "barely playable after half a year" to "more or less perfect a few weeks after release". Isn't making games run on platforms they weren't originally intended for what GOG do?

As it stands, I simply won't have a Windows box left to run this on by 2020, as Windows 7's support is running out and Windows 10 isn't an option.
Post edited June 10, 2019 by pernegger
Thunderbringer: Let me answer your question.
90% probability that there won't be linux version.
99% probability that it will work fine with wine + dxvk.
longusnickus: reqs say WIN10. WIN10 could mean DX12. DX12 does not work on linux
lets hope they use VULKAN
Yeah, that windows 10 requirement doesn't bode well for an eventual Linux release -- or even DXVK compatibility. Let's not get our hopes too high.
If you port this game to Linux, you have my money...SURE. Please, don't follow the same way that TW3 and give some love to Linux Gamers
high rated
Please stop recommending wine, dxvk, proton, and other translation layers as a workaround! This would introduce bugs, slower performance, and not do Linux gaming a favor looking forward. Native only is the way to go!

At this stage, it must be appealing for CDPR to target Google Stadia, which cloud is composed of Linux AMD machines, last time I checked. So releasing a native Linux version to the users directly is a short step from there, at least on a limited set of configurations.
low rated
evilphish: Would have loved to preorder but seeing that there is just a Windows version available I will have to pass on this one. Any chance this will be available on Linux?
Linux isn't a gaming platform, so no.
high rated
evilphish: Would have loved to preorder but seeing that there is just a Windows version available I will have to pass on this one. Any chance this will be available on Linux?
TheDyingScotsman: Linux isn't a gaming platform, so no.
It runs games => It's a gaming platform.
I can't believe it's really going to be Windows-only, in 2019.
high rated
TheDyingScotsman: Linux isn't a gaming platform, so no.
With number of games released for Linux far greater than number of games released for PS4 it sure is.
+1
Without a Linux native client would I also don't think I would go for it, so hopefully they make one.
Oops, I guess I assumed too much of Wine since I recently destroyed my Win10 install and finally started gaming on Linux despite having done everything other than game in Linux for well over a decade. I didn't realize DX12 was not supported yet. /Sigh... maybe I'll have to stick Win10 in a VM and passthru a GPU to it if there is no other way to play this. Or maybe I'll just switch to console. Time will tell.

The final straw for me was the whole "clicking on check for updates opts you in for beta updates" that I stumbled upon when I was trying to troubleshoot a problem I was trying to fix in Win10. I don't know if that was really the source of my problems but it drove me crazy that in yet another way MS was taking control over my PC.
That would be really nice. But I think it si not going to happened, sadly.
kvark: Please stop recommending wine, dxvk, proton, and other translation layers as a workaround! This would introduce bugs, slower performance, and not do Linux gaming a favor looking forward. Native only is the way to go!
I'm not so sure about that. One of the reasons there's little enthusiasm for Linux support is that there's no one single, let alone stable (as in unchanging) platform for developers to target. To solve that problem, you need some sort of abstraction layer between the game and the myriad distros & software configurations anyway. That might as well be Proton.
If developers could treat Proton like just another version of Windows, they could officially support it with comparatively little effort, especially with a little help from Valve. I don't see why that should result in a slower or buggier gaming experience. Surely using Linux would make up for the performance hit incurred by using Proton? ;-) Since each game can have its own custom Proton environment, software compatibility would actually be less of an issue than on Windows.
longusnickus: reqs say WIN10. WIN10 could mean DX12. DX12 does not work on linux
lets hope they use VULKAN
WvStolzing: Yeah, that windows 10 requirement doesn't bode well for an eventual Linux release -- or even DXVK compatibility. Let's not get our hopes too high.
WIne developers have said that they plan to add DX12 support eventually, through the VKD3D library.

You can see their progress here:

https://github.com/d3d12/vkd3d
Check out Lutris for Linux support.
kvark: Please stop recommending wine, dxvk, proton, and other translation layers as a workaround! This would introduce bugs, slower performance, and not do Linux gaming a favor looking forward. Native only is the way to go!
pernegger: I'm not so sure about that. One of the reasons there's little enthusiasm for Linux support is that there's no one single, let alone stable (as in unchanging) platform for developers to target. To solve that problem, you need some sort of abstraction layer between the game and the myriad distros & software configurations anyway. That might as well be Proton.
If developers could treat Proton like just another version of Windows, they could officially support it with comparatively little effort, especially with a little help from Valve. I don't see why that should result in a slower or buggier gaming experience. Surely using Linux would make up for the performance hit incurred by using Proton? ;-) Since each game can have its own custom Proton environment, software compatibility would actually be less of an issue than on Windows.
What a bunch of crap. No modern OS is unchanging and no one wants a package for each distribution out there. If you look at the big stores they each officially support essentially one distribution and not with a package in it's package format but with a generic installer that works fine for the majority of users of other distributions as well.
Have a look at talks and documents by some well known Linux porters. It's really not that hard. Stop spreading that myth.