It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

After thinking about this hacker/terrorist's letter for a while now, I wonder if CDPR is or was baited.

The letter mentions, like *wink wink nod nod" , You have your back ups so you can use them.

I wonder if some sort of malware was not injected into those to cause more issues once the backups were restored.

The game is 10% off on the main page right now. This does not bode well for the future of our once beloved game designer.
good point.

the situation is not as simple as they say. first of all, this is not a "hack", this is classic ransomware, modified helloKitty ransomware. the word "*ware" means there was initial clickbait for a noob - executable file someone from CDP office opened and got their PC infected. As appeared that PC had free access to all servers and it seems all of their PCs operate on Windows OS (you won't catch that on Linux or Mac).
Ransomware keeps itself in active processes so system admin had to see it. Not to mention if there were any of antivirus solutions it has to alarm user about the content of the file.
Too much of bad luck? Something else? I don't believe in 5 coincidences in a row. Even if we consider CDP employees as worst computer illiterate individuals who clicks on any executable file they get in email (or download from any site) still too much questions and no reasonable answers.

on the other hand, I'm exciting to see gog sale to celebrate this breach. ransomware used to integrate itself into installers before. i wonder if gog installers are safe now. how someone can say if they download genuine version or maybe tampered one? do gog has backups with original installers? Is it safe to enter my card data on checkout? What about gog galaxy that relays on noname github users to maintain all integrations?

Something is not right with this situation as a whole.
Post edited February 11, 2021 by djoxyk
I don't think there is much to worry about. CDPR and GOG shuld be sepparate entities. And if there was a risk for customers, i am sure they would have reacted by now.
From what i read the same group recently hacked a brasilian power company. So these are propably not just some random hacker guys.
Post edited February 11, 2021 by xemmy
xemmy: I don't think there is much to worry about. CDPR and GOG shuld be sepparate entities. And if there was a risk for customers, i am sure they would have reacted by now.
From what i read the same group recently hacked a brasilian power company. So these are propably not just some random hacker guys.
should be separate but who knows. considering latest news about buffer overflow vulnerability in Cyberpunk 2077 I doubt they have any security experts, leave alone gog (smaller entity). and let me remind you one fact - gog deals in hacked content themselves. most of the old games you see now as DRM free on gog store became DRM free because gog disabled DRM or reused executable files from scene and some of these files still give antivirus alarm (not because there's any threat but because of the way it disabled DRM adn the way it packaged). There's no way to tell if the alarm now can be attributed to old DRM removal or is it the new, altered and dangerous content.

Not the same group. someone took HelloKitty ransomware and changed it. style of the ransom letter, encoding for files also changed. this is someone who had access to old version of ransomware but it can be completely different group of people. CDPR QA team for example :)
exactly, they are not some random hacker guys because it is not a hack, it is public humiliation. they could just hack, damage data, steal and sell source code silently to anyone interested (rivals, chinese folks who loves to create knock-offs) but they chose to publicly humiliate CDP. We can only imagine what is left behind the scene and if there's even more damage than CDP reports.
Post edited February 12, 2021 by djoxyk
xemmy: I don't think there is much to worry about. CDPR and GOG shuld be sepparate entities.
now we have facts to prove the opposite
according to CDP ex employee (https://youtu.be/K51FpZVPpTA?t=209 screenshot in video) attackers already shared personal data of former employees of site https://cdp.pl/

it is also external site like gog. what if gog stores all of their games, data and player personal data on cdp servers as well? would be cost effective to share it don't you think?
mad_crease: After thinking about this hacker/terrorist's letter for a while now, I wonder if CDPR is or was baited.

The letter mentions, like *wink wink nod nod" , You have your back ups so you can use them.

I wonder if some sort of malware was not injected into those to cause more issues once the backups were restored.

The game is 10% off on the main page right now. This does not bode well for the future of our once beloved game designer.
Certainly, Hello Kitty's cybercrime against CDP is clearly an act of terrorism.
They are the ISIS of the net now for harming such an upstanding company that always looks out for us THE GAMERS.

Look, if someone planted a bomb on Iwinski's yacht- that would be terrorism.
Get your definitions right and you'll be functional long before Cyberpunk 2077 could ever be.

I do not condone either terrorism or cybercrimes, of course but with CDP, I suppose one thief attracts another quite easily.
mad_crease: After thinking about this hacker/terrorist's letter for a while now, I wonder if CDPR is or was baited.

TencentInvestor: Certainly, Hello Kitty's cybercrime against CDP is clearly an act of terrorism.
They are the ISIS of the net now for harming such an upstanding company that always looks out for us THE GAMERS.

Look, if someone planted a bomb on Iwinski's yacht- that would be terrorism.
Get your definitions right and you'll be functional long before Cyberpunk 2077 could ever be.

I do not condone either terrorism or cybercrimes, of course but with CDP, I suppose one thief attracts another quite easily.
Perhaps you should read your reply before submitting. Or, perhaps read and comprehend what was wrote.