It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What the actual F@CK! Why does this game need 126GiG free space to install a 58GiG patch, seriously my SSD was already at 90% and I had to move games in order for me to patch the BG3, why should we have to do that garbage at bloody all is beyond me, streamline your patches or make them in small file form but to need 126GiG free space to patch a game that already fits on the SSD is a f@cking joke! I had over 100GiG left but I need 126GiG free for a 58GiG patch, that's not convenient at all that's just SHIT!
Post edited November 02, 2023 by scorpios_corz
1. Space allocated for the downloaded file
2. file needs to be inflated if compressed
3. additional space for patching files (space allocated depending on the amount of files being individually patched).
scorpios_corz: What the actual F@CK! Why does this game need 126GiG free space to install a 58GiG patch, seriously my SSD was already at 90% and I had to move games in order for me to patch the BG3, why should we have to do that garbage at bloody all is beyond me, streamline your patches or make them in small file form but to need 126GiG free space to patch a game that already fits on the SSD is a f@cking joke! I had over 100GiG left but I need 126GiG free for a 58GiG patch, that's not convenient at all that's just SHIT!
It's absurd. I understand there are reasons for needing that much space but it is absolutely ridiculous for Larian to expect people to keep 126 GB free just in case they need to patch the game. It would take less disk space to uninstall the game then reinstall it.
Actually I went through the same BS with CP2077 here AND all Total Wars Warhammers on steam.... BTW, consider this: the fresh install of the newest version needs 106 GB.... seriously, if you have fast internet it's faster and MUCH less stressful to deinstall->reinstall then update.... (which is in itself beyond ridiculous...)
BTW, am doing just that right now ;P
chronoplasty: It's absurd. I understand there are reasons for needing that much space but it is absolutely ridiculous for Larian to expect people to keep 126 GB free just in case they need to patch the game. It would take less disk space to uninstall the game then reinstall it.
You don't have to have the space on a single partition. My BG3 folder is ~65GBs in size, but when I installed the game through GOG Galaxy, the BG3 install software asked me to create a separate folder on another partition for updating the game, which I did--Baldur's Gate 3 Update the BG3 software named it. My BG3 game folder is on an NVMe drive while the BG3 Update folder is on a HDD. Works great. The game has always stated that you have to have at least one drive with 125GBs of free space to install. I have several TBs of drive space so it was no problem for me.

BTW, I'm only downloading 58 GBs of code--same size as an install from scratch. The 125GBs in the Update folder is used by the patch for decompression and installation routines after the patch is downloaded. Then it's discarded, IIRC. I doubt we will see more full game patches, but who knows.
Post edited November 02, 2023 by waltc
chronoplasty: It's absurd. I understand there are reasons for needing that much space but it is absolutely ridiculous for Larian to expect people to keep 126 GB free just in case they need to patch the game. It would take less disk space to uninstall the game then reinstall it.
waltc: The game has always stated that you have to have at least one drive with 125GBs of free space to install. I have several TBs of drive space so it was no problem for me.
I guess some people don't have that much free space.
Eriond: Actually I went through the same BS with CP2077 here AND all Total Wars Warhammers on steam.... BTW, consider this: the fresh install of the newest version needs 106 GB.... seriously, if you have fast internet it's faster and MUCH less stressful to deinstall->reinstall then update.... (which is in itself beyond ridiculous...)
Hi, just to confirm: The fresh install of the latest version does not have all the patch*.pak files taking up endless storage?
Eriond: Actually I went through the same BS with CP2077 here AND all Total Wars Warhammers on steam.... BTW, consider this: the fresh install of the newest version needs 106 GB.... seriously, if you have fast internet it's faster and MUCH less stressful to deinstall->reinstall then update.... (which is in itself beyond ridiculous...)
RSColonel_131st: Hi, just to confirm: The fresh install of the latest version does not have all the patch*.pak files taking up endless storage?
I can confirm, the patch pak's are not there anymore and the installed size is back to 124GB (133,426,188,228 bytes). It took it forever to do the install though (~2.5 hours) where with the patch paks, typically would take minutes.
slackmg: I can confirm, the patch pak's are not there anymore and the installed size is back to 124GB (133,426,188,228 bytes). It took it forever to do the install though (~2.5 hours) where with the patch paks, typically would take minutes.
Thank you, that was a fresh install, or did you update a game?
Post edited November 03, 2023 by RSColonel_131st
scorpios_corz: What the actual F@CK! Why does this game need 126GiG free space to install a 58GiG patch, seriously my SSD was already at 90% and I had to move games in order for me to patch the BG3, why should we have to do that garbage at bloody all is beyond me, streamline your patches or make them in small file form but to need 126GiG free space to patch a game that already fits on the SSD is a f@cking joke! I had over 100GiG left but I need 126GiG free for a 58GiG patch, that's not convenient at all that's just SHIT!
The real bad part is My friend has the game on Steam and the same update is 18 GB what is the deal
After installing the new patch I now have 30 gb more space on my hard drive. A lot of files must have changed.

Are you sure you didnt just clicked "delete my save games" or something ?

Because while I havent installed the game in a while, the current full install is still basically exactly the same size as before. Why would the installation get smaller when the install stays the same size ?
I agree. It is ridiculous.
122 GB this is retarded with my internet speed it's like 18 hours of downloading.
This full game download (for patch 6), it obviously a poorly set update most likely with issue on GOG side. From what I have found over net, there should be for patch 6 download size 19-20 GB, which then needs additional big disk space (150 GB) for updating already installed game. Could be good to report this issue to GOG, with more reports usually chance to get it corrected quickly increases. I myself did it few minutes ago. I experienced something similar with one of Cyberpunk 2077 updates which was then in relative short time corrected.
Post edited February 17, 2024 by Martind_Forlon_