It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

SOLUTION FOUND: SEE LEONICK'S POST BELOW.
Post edited June 07, 2015 by Crosmando
I don't know. I think the exe from GOG is different to the retail and steam exes.

Cope, the uploader of the patched exe on moddb wrote in the description that the string 83C4F489542404 can be found at offset 0x62E8A4. I tried to find the offset in the GOG exe but turned up empty. Also the string is found 11 times.
high rated
Crosmando: This actually enabled all the resolutions in the game main menu correctly, except that the game crashes every time you try and start a new game. I used HxD to hex edit btw.

If anyone else has better luck post in here.
Bit of an annoying solution but I found something that works. First you modify the .exe with a hex editor (well, first you make a backup, then modify), start up the game and set the resolution and other graphics settings you want. Now, quit the game and restore your backed up exe file, while you won't be able to select widescreen resolutions anymore, it will run at the resolution you set with the modified exe and won't have issues loading.

I suspect that maybe it'd also work if someone went through and figured out exactly which occurances of the hex string to replace and which to leave it might work as well but I can't be arsed :p

For anyone who doesn't feel like messing around with a hex-editor, here's a link to a already modded version of the gog exe. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732993/ActOfWarGoGFixedExe.7z

EDIT: Download has been updated. Thanks to the pointer X-ray only the necessary bytes have been change and you can now set resolution and play with the modded exe.
Post edited April 03, 2015 by Leonick
That worked. Thanks, Leonick!

Seems I was too stupid to use a hex editor correctly. Nevermind.
Assuming GOG's package is based on the retail v1.06 exe (I would be surprised if it wasn't), the starting offset you're looking for is 0x5AE3FC. Only three bytes need changing: 83 C4 F4 to B0 01 C3.

Forcing the game to render a 16:9 screen seems to work ok for the most part but can cause text alignment problems due to improper scaling. For example, text sometimes overruns the description box for objects on the intelligence menu. I've not seen anything too bad yet, but I only did a quick run through the first two campaign missions. So, caveat haxor.
Post edited April 03, 2015 by X-ray
Yeah worked for me too, thanks Leonick.
Leonick would mind if I mirrored your GOG AoW widescreen fix on my mediafire AOW archive?
Lord_Kane: Leonick would mind if I mirrored your GOG AoW widescreen fix on my mediafire AOW archive?
Sure, go right ahead. As long as you go grab a fresh download of it. I just updated it with the details from X-ray (offset wasn't spot on but very close) so with the new one you can actually play with the modded exe as well as change resolution. The last upload used the old instructions which would crash when loading...
Post edited April 03, 2015 by Leonick
Lord_Kane: Leonick would mind if I mirrored your GOG AoW widescreen fix on my mediafire AOW archive?
Leonick: Sure, go right ahead. As long as you go grab a fresh download of it. I just updated it with the details from X-ray (offset wasn't spot on but very close) so with the new one you can actually play with the modded exe as well as change resolution. The last upload used the old instructions which would crash when loading...
yeah I was waiting for you to respond before I even downloaded it, if you want keep me posted if you make any updates by shooting me a pm so I can keep the mirrored version up to date as well.
Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the FOV of the game ?
I'm hesitating to buy it at this price (I have a tight budget :P), and the screenshots and videos shows a FOV similar to the one of Command & Conquer Generals, and it's too close to the action for me ^^" But in C&C Generals, some people found that you were able to change it with editing one file extracted from one file of the game (see the best explanation here)(the part "Modding the camera position yourself").
So maybe is there a similar manipulation ?
I'm posting this here because you seem to know what to modify into the files to change the resolution, so maybe for the FOV too... If there is need, I'll create another topic ;)

And even if I still don't have the game, thanks for the work and for the widescreen fix ! :D
Post edited April 04, 2015 by Splatsch
Splatsch: Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the FOV of the game ?
I'm hesitating to buy it at this price (I have a tight budget :P), and the screenshots and videos shows a FOV similar to the one of Command & Conquer Generals, and it's too close to the action for me ^^" But in C&C Generals, some people found that you were able to change it with editing one file extracted from one file of the game (see the best explanation here)(the part "Modding the camera position yourself").
So maybe is there a similar manipulation ?
I'm posting this here because you seem to know what to modify into the files to change the resolution, so maybe for the FOV too... If there is need, I'll create another topic ;)

And even if I still don't have the game, thanks for the work and for the widescreen fix ! :D
A couple of mods change the default zoom level to a bit further back. I am still trying to find the standard zoom out mod
Thanks Guys,

this File works.

Great to have this game working with over 2GB RAM thanks to Gog.com and with Widescreen Resolution thanks to you guys.

:-)
Crosmando: So I've tried both of these methods to get 16:9 widescreen resolutions working in Direct Action (widescreen works by default in High Treason) but without any luck.
Hey, could you please edit Leonick's download link into your original post and state clearly that it works? Would make things far more clear and convenient. I found this thread yesterday and my first impression was that nobody has made a working patch available and I'll have to do HEX editing of my own.
Crosmando: This actually enabled all the resolutions in the game main menu correctly, except that the game crashes every time you try and start a new game. I used HxD to hex edit btw.

If anyone else has better luck post in here.
Leonick: Bit of an annoying solution but I found something that works. First you modify the .exe with a hex editor (well, first you make a backup, then modify), start up the game and set the resolution and other graphics settings you want. Now, quit the game and restore your backed up exe file, while you won't be able to select widescreen resolutions anymore, it will run at the resolution you set with the modified exe and won't have issues loading.

I suspect that maybe it'd also work if someone went through and figured out exactly which occurances of the hex string to replace and which to leave it might work as well but I can't be arsed :p

For anyone who doesn't feel like messing around with a hex-editor, here's a link to a already modded version of the gog exe. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732993/ActOfWarGoGFixedExe.7z

EDIT: Download has been updated. Thanks to the pointer X-ray only the necessary bytes have been change and you can now set resolution and play with the modded exe.
Thank you!
Can the exe file be edited with a hex editor to allow Windowed Mode?