It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
vulchor: The Facebook information is exceedingly troubling, but I'll put it over my shoulder for the time-being.
Venhiem: In what way? If you mean that just because I posted an email in public doesn't mean anyone can go and exploit my private profile then yes. If you mean that you too think that my facebook profile shows what he said than I'm sorry but it doesn't.

Other than that thanks for the trust. I won't break it.
I only meant that if your facebook profile showed the things that Tarnicus claimed it showed, that would be very troubling. I did not attempt to locate your private profile, and Tarnicus let me know that he showed you how to make it private so that people can't glean personal information about you. That is all.

Now, I do want to counter your opinion that he 'exploited' your private profile. NO facebook profile is private. To assume so is very naive. Any information stored on someone else's server may not be considered private. Just ask the FBI, CIA, and NSA ;)

In all seriousness, I can't fault anyone for finding information out about a person from their facebook profile unless they hacked into the profile to obtain said information. Human Resource departments, journalists, private detectives, the police, politicians, school teachers, etc... they do it all the time. It is up the user to set their privacy settings, not up to humanity to not be curious.
high rated
Christoph89: First to reply with "I want it" gets a "King Arthur's Gold" Steamy gift link.
A.Ryan: i want it
pm sent.
A.Ryan: i want it
Christoph89: pm sent.
Thanks u again! +rep!
Venhiem: In what way? If you mean that just because I posted an email in public doesn't mean anyone can go and exploit my private profile then yes. If you mean that you too think that my facebook profile shows what he said than I'm sorry but it doesn't.

Other than that thanks for the trust. I won't break it.
vulchor: I only meant that if your facebook profile showed the things that Tarnicus claimed it showed, that would be very troubling. I did not attempt to locate your private profile, and Tarnicus let me know that he showed you how to make it private so that people can't glean personal information about you. That is all.

Now, I do want to counter your opinion that he 'exploited' your private profile. NO facebook profile is private. To assume so is very naive. Any information stored on someone else's server may not be considered private. Just ask the FBI, CIA, and NSA ;)

In all seriousness, I can't fault anyone for finding information out about a person from their facebook profile unless they hacked into the profile to obtain said information. Human Resource departments, journalists, private detectives, the police, politicians, school teachers, etc... they do it all the time. It is up the user to set their privacy settings, not up to humanity to not be curious.
yes but imagine a newcomer that finds the community and discovers that someone is going to investigate his life through social networs so that -- if he discovers something he judges to be "bad" -- he will be publicly "dishonored" on the forums...
Post edited May 19, 2014 by Ungunbu
high rated
First to reply with "I want it" gets a "BIT.TRIP RUNNER" Steamy gift link.
Christoph89: First to reply with "I want it" gets a "BIT.TRIP RUNNER" Steamy gift link.
I want it.
Post edited May 19, 2014 by epictime
vulchor: I only meant that if your facebook profile showed the things that Tarnicus claimed it showed, that would be very troubling. I did not attempt to locate your private profile, and Tarnicus let me know that he showed you how to make it private so that people can't glean personal information about you. That is all.

Ungunbu: yes but imagine a newcomer that finds the community and discovers that someone is going to investigate his life through social networs so that -- if he discovers something he judges to be "bad" -- he will be publicly "dishonored" on the forums...
That wasn't my point Ung. My point was that it is human nature to be curious, or worse (as you imply here, which is valid), so that's why it's important to have good privacy settings, however still don't ever assume that your profile that is stored on the servers of a for-profit corporation is private or that it even, in any legal sense, belongs to you.

Now, these forums are public, and anything said in public can be judged, correctly or incorrectly, fairly or unfairly. It's just part of the risk that goes along with living in a free society.

Personally, I don't find any of this too troubling from a new comer's perspective. But I am not everyone. There's plenty of things on these forums that, if an individual is especially predisposed towards that way of thinking, could be very turned off by. Hell, I made a joke about drowning cats in the insomnia sale thread because I was very sleep deprived. Now, granted, I'm taking my own joke out of context, but people will always take things out of context and choose to be offended.

That's another good point to accidentally stumble upon. Being offended is a choice. I'm also really sleepy so I'm gonna let this thread go back to the ninjas. Please control the aim of all shurikens until I vacate. G'night everyone that is still reading, if that's anyone at all.
Christoph89: First to reply with "I want it" gets a "BIT.TRIP RUNNER" Steamy gift link.
epictime: I want it.
pm sent.
low rated
Chippas: Is it rude if i call you Paki?
Ungunbu: are you serious? racism on these forums?
Oh, we were being serious? I wasn't aware of that. You both gave me a completely different impression.
Ungunbu: yes but imagine a newcomer that finds the community and discovers that someone is going to investigate his life through social networs so that -- if he discovers something he judges to be "bad" -- he will be publicly "dishonored" on the forums...
vulchor: That wasn't my point Ung. My point was that it is human nature to be curious, or worse (as you imply here, which is valid), so that's why it's important to have good privacy settings, however still don't ever assume that your profile that is stored on the servers of a for-profit corporation is private or that it even, in any legal sense, belongs to you.

Now, these forums are public, and anything said in public can be judged, correctly or incorrectly, fairly or unfairly. It's just part of the risk that goes along with living in a free society.

Personally, I don't find any of this too troubling from a new comer's perspective. But I am not everyone. There's plenty of things on these forums that, if an individual is especially predisposed towards that way of thinking, could be very turned off by. Hell, I made a joke about drowning cats in the insomnia sale thread because I was very sleep deprived. Now, granted, I'm taking my own joke out of context, but people will always take things out of context and choose to be offended.

That's another good point to accidentally stumble upon. Being offended is a choice. I'm also really sleepy so I'm gonna let this thread go back to the ninjas. Please control the aim of all shurikens until I vacate. G'night everyone that is still reading, if that's anyone at all.
my (absolutely personal) point of view depends on the fact that i was a victim of this extremist investigating behaviour that i'm observing on these forums -- actually i'm a newcomer too -- i believe i'm a "good person" and that it's foolish to think someone can judge me (or anbody else, of course) just by reading a few posts of a videogaming forum

--

that being said, good night :)
Ungunbu: are you serious? racism on these forums?
Chippas: Oh, we were being serious? I wasn't aware of that. You both gave me a completely different impression.
i do not think racism is something one should use to make jokes
Post edited May 19, 2014 by Ungunbu
low rated
Ungunbu: i do not think racism is something one should use to make jokes
Don't get your panties all in a bunch.
Ungunbu: i do not think racism is something one should use to make jokes
Chippas: Don't get your panties all in a bunch.
You should probably apologize.
Post edited May 19, 2014 by Demzon
low rated
Chippas: Don't get your panties all in a bunch.
Demzon: You should probably apologize.
I would, but I'm fresh out of apologies.
Demzon: You should probably apologize.
Chippas: I would, but I'm fresh out of apologies.
Then you must be pretty violent to run out of apologies so quickly.
low rated
Chippas: I would, but I'm fresh out of apologies.
Demzon: Then you must be pretty violent to run out of apologies so quickly.
Welcome to the forums.