It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Zurvan7: Never understood why people (especially on the net) get mad when someone calls him/her a nerd. I would not give a horse arse if someone called me a nerd. If you see how successful, rich and influential worlds biggest "nerds" are then I would even take nerd as a compliment.

Unless you are a gaming nerd has a negative meaning nowadays.
grunthos64: It was the in thing to be for throughout the late 80s till about the early 2000's during the personal computer boom.

Now that most people got trendy smartphones and tablets for the internet, guess its negative again.
Austrobogulator: You know, sometimes this seems like the worst thread on the site...
grunthos64: Only with some people, something about the GOG forums in general brings out both the best and worst in people.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, gives as much generously or trolls as harshly as they do on here.

its odd isn't it?
Zurvan7: Never understood why people (especially on the net) get mad when someone calls him/her a nerd. I would not give a horse arse if someone called me a nerd. If you see how successful, rich and influential worlds biggest "nerds" are then I would even take nerd as a compliment.

Unless you are a gaming nerd has a negative meaning nowadays.
stg83: That is indeed quite true, nerds are ruling the world right now, so its hardly an insult anymore. :)
True, the term has nowadays a more negative tone to it because society thinks EVERYONE who plays video games either has no life, is obese, has ZERO social skills, does nothing but play video games all the time, is a 10-15 year old kid who lets mommy buy his/her games etc etc etc.

To be honest when I go to the local gaming store I feel embarrassed sometimes because most of the people who hang around the store act like they are the coolest people on earth, have their head hiiiigh in their assess or are spoiled little brats. Still you can't use the term nerd for them because a nerd is someone who is more into studying and learning than video gaming I guess.
grunthos64: It was the in thing to be for throughout the late 80s till about the early 2000's during the personal computer boom.

Now that most people got trendy smartphones and tablets for the internet, guess its negative again.

Only with some people, something about the GOG forums in general brings out both the best and worst in people.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, gives as much generously or trolls as harshly as they do on here.

its odd isn't it?
Zurvan7:
stg83: That is indeed quite true, nerds are ruling the world right now, so its hardly an insult anymore. :)
Zurvan7: True, the term has nowadays a more negative tone to it because society thinks EVERYONE who plays video games either has no life, is obese, has ZERO social skills, does nothing but play video games all the time, is a 10-15 year old kid who lets mommy buy his/her games etc etc etc.

To be honest when I go to the local gaming store I feel embarrassed sometimes because most of the people who hang around the store act like they are the coolest people on earth, have their head hiiiigh in their assess or are spoiled little brats. Still you can't use the term nerd for them because a nerd is someone who is more into studying and learning than video gaming I guess.
Thats another thing. Nerd has been a diluted term for a damn long time now. The 'smart nerd' thing has fallen out of vogue, partly because most really smart people either don't talk much online or there are a lot more stupid people out there. Nerd has become to mean 'pop culture geek' that knows every alien race on Star Trek

PS I was calling Gungaa the pot that called the kettle black, not lugum or anyone else
Post edited May 17, 2014 by grunthos64
low rated
real good there, gungaa blocked my pms :D
anyways mr. gungaa i'm not vonthiem, ofc whoever that person is will say that he & me are same

and grunthos64 i didnt get what you meant? was it something about me?
I have Swordsman Beta Key (mmo), pm me if anyone want to try this game.
(its arcgame client key)
Key redeemed by Epictime
Post edited May 17, 2014 by lemuria
Venhiem: real good there, gungaa blocked my pms :D
anyways mr. gungaa i'm not vonthiem, ofc whoever that person is will say that he & me are same

and grunthos64 i didnt get what you meant? was it something about me?
No, I was going after Gungaa and that one guy whose name I haven't bothered to learn who got a drop *probably the only one* from a guy notorious for just taking games. He insulted him and it seemed mean spirited. Lost hopes in the forum that day
grunthos64: PS I was calling Gungaa the pot that called the kettle black, not lugum or anyone else
I was just saying, as i am little teapot short and stout.
grunthos64: No, I was going after Gungaa and that one guy whose name I haven't bothered to learn who got a drop *probably the only one* from a guy notorious for just taking games. He insulted him and it seemed mean spirited. Lost hopes in the forum that day
Dont lose hope. This thread is great there are just too many trolls.
Zurvan7: *snip*
Well it all stems from the fact that nerds are smarter than the average person and therefore more inventive and since people usually make fun of what they don't understand, nerds became outcasts. So a natural hobby when you can't be socially active tends to be video games, as atleast in the old days you didn't have to interact constantly with other players to enjoy a game. Since, then with advent of generic FPS shooter we now have the dude bro crowd which some of them are like the jocks from the old days that are now playing online multiplayer games. So they are again able to cyber bully other smarter people online which has led to the term nerd being used in a negative connotation again.
Far out, a glass house! XD
tinyE: Far out, a glass house! XD
*points at the vegetables
stg83: Well it all stems from the fact that nerds are smarter than the average person and therefore more inventive and since people usually make fun of what they don't understand, nerds became outcasts. So a natural hobby when you can't be socially active tends to be video games, as atleast in the old days you didn't have to interact constantly with other players to enjoy a game. Since, then with advent of generic FPS shooter we now have the dude bro crowd which some of them are like the jocks from the old days that are now playing online multiplayer games. So they are again able to cyber bully other smarter people online which has led to the term nerd being used in a negative connotation again.
I call my college professors nerds but the thing is they all are researchers, have Phd's or are consultants in national banks or big firms besides teaching. Also university professors in my country are amongst the people with the highest income so you can clearly see that studying A LOT does pay off (even if you are researcher (nerd or whatever) with low social skills that likes to publish papers and studies without interacting a lot). So even for people with less social skills aka awkward "nerds" there is still a way to make it and contribute to society. Off course most of those profs are highly skilled in socializing and work in banks, national banks, court rooms etc.

But I don't think most of them has the time or even like video games. And tbh I have developed a hatred towards games (not really hatred but I don't enjoy ANY game anymore). I just log into gog and steam once a while, play a game for 5 minutes and shut it off cause it seems pointless to me now :(( Also the past 2-3 months I haven't played any game because for some reason every game has become "meh" to me. Can't concentrate on games anymore because the good weather maybe which makes me wanna go for a jog int the park or something. I just buy old games on 70-80% sales for good past memories but that's about it :s And FPS used to be my favorite genre when I was a kid (NOLF was my first multiplayer FPS but now I HATEEEEEEE every fps game, can't stand em anymore).

Ohh well I'll stop bitching now xD
First person to answer the following questions gets Cave Story +.Restrictions go to those who take games frequently and who joined this or the past month...The person who answers first and most of them right gets the game:

1.Math...The mass of the following oranges are: 60,60.5,60.5,61,67 ....A)Calculate the mean mass,the median,and the mode.

2.Chemistry...What is the process used to separate ethanol from water(hint hint:it depends on difference in bp point)

3.Biology...State the function of the Phloem in plants

4.Physics...Find the voltage of a circuit that has 0.2 current and 4 resistence

5.What does IGCSE Stand for? (let the google(ing) begin xD )

This is an awareness of my IGCSE exams and for you to pray for me :D
Please don't answer unless you want the game

Good luck :)YOU CANT EDIT YOUR POST SO MAKE SURE IT'S CORRECT :D
Post edited May 17, 2014 by BoneCleaver
That is unfortunate to hear Zuvran7 and I sincerely hope you reclaim your zest and passion for video games. It is understandable though for fatigue to set in if you have been at it for as long as you have. When I was a kid I used to try to finish every game I owned no matter how crappy it was. But later on when I was at the university level I didn't find myself caring that much to play let alone finish every one. But, then along came a game which reignited my love for video games and that was Batman: Arkham Asylum which I played non-stop despite the initial glitches in the PC version because it was really one of the best adaptations of a comic book superhero property thus far, as you finally were Batman in all his glory. :D

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and once again I hope you find some game out there that makes you feel like how it was in the good old days. :)
Post edited May 17, 2014 by stg83
BoneCleaver: First person to answer the following questions gets Cave Story +.Restrictions go to those who take games frequently and who joined this or the past month...The person who answers first and most of them right gets the game:

1.Math...The mass of the following oranges are: 60,60.5,60.5,61,67 ....A)Calculate the mean mass,the median,and the mode.

2.Chemistry...What is the process used to separate ethanol from water(hint hint:it depends on difference in bp point)

3.Biology...State the function of the Phloem in plants

4.Physics...Find the voltage of a circuit that has 0.2 current and 4 resistence

5.What does IGCSE Stand for? (let the google(ing) begin xD )

This is an awareness of my IGCSE exams and for you to pray for me :D
Please don't answer unless you want the game

Good luck :) winner will be chosen in 15 min...YOU CANT EDIT YOUR POST SO MAKE SURE IT'S CORRECT :D
I do take games frequently otherwise ... ah so easy and so recent :D
stg83: That is unfortunate to hear Zuvran7 and I sincerely hope you reclaim your zest and passion for video games. It is understandable though for fatigue to set in if you have been at it for as long as you have. When I was a kid I used to try to finish every game I owned no matter how crappy it was. But later on when I was at the university level I didn't find myself caring that much to play let alone finish every one. But, then along came a game which reignited my love for video games and that was Batman: Arkham Asylum which I played non-stop despite the initial glitches in the PC version because it was really one of the best adaptations of a comic book superhero property thus far, as you finally were Batman in all his glory. :D

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and once again I hope you find some game out their that makes you feel like how it was in the good old days. :)
haha thanks but I doubt it because even prior to that I wasn't really a hard core gamer either but did enjoy more titles. And indeed AA is a nice game with great voice acting and a reference to old school platformers. Felt like NES/Genesis batman games...

And tbh I don't think I'll enjoy video games again mainly because of today's publishers/devs mentality and the changing of game industry. Too much focus on the financial aspect instead of fun factor and innovation...