It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Elrinda: Shank Steam Key:
BQPI/-H*R*M-P/6W/

*=7
/=8
So slow but thanks anyway +1
mabrookes: *snip*
stg83: The reason why Steam is referred to as DRM is because you need to have it running at all times to play most of the games while there is no need to keep GOG downloader running to play the DRM free games. :)
The games that have drm then require steam to run and/or an internet connection. Those that don't can be run from the folder without steam just by clicking on the exe (at least all the ones I have tried so far can). I know steam has drm components that can be used, but it is at least a grey area by itself as software for any game that does not use those components (I would say not quite drm) :)
high rated
Leucius: No game on Steam that's designed for Steam is DRM free. Steam IS DRM.
skeletonbow: Here's a huge list of DRM-free games on Steam that do not require the Steam client to be running or use Steamworks.
http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games
"No game on steam that's designed for steam" clearly describes games designed to work only with steam running.

Thanks, though.

Always Remember Me (Desura) esreveR applies:
D2Q3N-KRQ71-ZSSWH-PKX7Q-ACNPK

stg83: The reason why Steam is referred to as DRM is because you need to have it running at all times to play most of the games while there is no need to keep GOG downloader running to play the DRM free games. :)
mabrookes: The games that have drm then require steam to run and/or an internet connection. Those that don't can be run from the folder without steam just by clicking on the exe (at least all the ones I have tried so far can). I know steam has drm components that can be used, but it is at least a grey area by itself as software for any game that does not use those components (I would say not quite drm) :)
There is no grey. Games designed with Steam integration are DRM protected. I'm not saying I don't use Steam, but let's face the facts here.

Yes, there are tons of games you can buy from Steam, install, and play without having Steam running, but the ones designed specifically FOR Steam are DRM'd unless the Steam features get stripped and it gets resold on places like GOG, which has been known to happen.
Post edited February 20, 2014 by Leucius
Leucius: "No game on steam that's designed for steam" clearly describes games designed to work only with steam running.

Thanks, though.
Indeed a game that uses Steamworks and has it enabled to require Steam to be running and connected etc. isn't DRM-free. I was just clarifying that there are actually games on Steam that are DRM-free, which while one uses Steam client to download and install them, they do not actually use Steamworks and are otherwise as DRM-free as games on GOG. Someone else casually reading that doesn't know this might have misread your comment to mean that Steam does not have any true DRM-free games available on it. You might not have intended that specifically, but someone might misinterpret it that way so I thought the link would be useful to people.
Post edited February 20, 2014 by skeletonbow
Leucius: "No game on steam that's designed for steam" clearly describes games designed to work only with steam running.

Thanks, though.
skeletonbow: Indeed a game that uses Steamworks and has it enabled to require Steam to be running and connected etc. isn't DRM-free. I was just clarifying that there are actually games on Steam that are DRM-free, which while one uses Steam client to download and install them, they do not actually use Steamworks and are otherwise as DRM-free as games on GOG. Someone else casually reading that doesn't know this might have misread your comment to mean that Steam does not have any true DRM-free games available on it. You might not have intended that specifically, but someone might misinterpret it that way so I thought the link would be useful to people.
Understood :)
If you guys own games on steam and some gifts too,
some are getting retroactively region locked.
so you might wanna hold off on trading if you do that often.
Rust is locked and so is the new thief game. Idk why valve would think of this tho.
leonairxxx: If you guys own games on steam and some gifts too,
some are getting retroactively region locked.
so you might wanna hold off on trading if you do that often.
Rust is locked and so is the new thief game. Idk why valve would think of this tho.
I dunno either way, but I would think the developer or publisher of the game decides whether or not their game uses region locking and how/when/why. I'd be surprised if Valve gets to make that kind of decision themselves except for the games they wrote like Halflife etc.
Leucius: Understood :)
some examples include

A.I war fleet command
Cities in motion 1 + DLC
shattered haven (on gog as well.)

all can be moved out with the steam directory and launched without steam even on the pc :P
Post edited February 20, 2014 by platercake
Leucius: There is no grey. Games designed with Steam integration are DRM protected. I'm not saying I don't use Steam, but let's face the facts here.

Yes, there are tons of games you can buy from Steam, install, and play without having Steam running, but the ones designed specifically FOR Steam are DRM'd unless the Steam features get stripped and it gets resold on places like GOG, which has been known to happen.
The first person I replied to said steam as software is only drm, I was pointing out it is a platform that has drm capabilities but can also not be used that way for any game that does not have drm (so not including any example of games with drm such as ones requiring steam for integration) I was already taking the games you mention into account by stating games without drm.

In other words steam is not drm by default like they said, it is a platform capable of being no different than any online store (with small differences) but has plenty of drm capabilities that are often used (probably a large majority now). It seems people don't quite get what I was saying though either from my explanation or not seeing the original post for context - and probably a little of both.

(I clearly said it is a grey area for games without drm as well, you cant then reply with there is no grey area and use games with drm as the example :P)
Post edited February 20, 2014 by mabrookes
high rated
Anyone want Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut - first to reply.
mabrookes: Anyone want Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut - first to reply.
rep for you !
I want :)
oh late.
Post edited February 20, 2014 by lemuria
May I?
Missed again! +1 :)
Post edited February 20, 2014 by ciccia22
high rated
sulc84: rep for you !
PM sent

lemuria: I want :)
oh late.
ciccia22: May I?
I have two more left, check your pms (in a minute)
Post edited February 20, 2014 by mabrookes
sulc84: rep for you !
mabrookes: PM sent

lemuria: I want :)
oh late.
mabrookes:
ciccia22: May I?
mabrookes: I have two more left, check your pms (in a minute)
Such generous!
WOW!