It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

niniendowarrior: I've left mine on download till whenever. We'll see what happens by the end of it. So far, nobody has a clear definition of what it is.

1. Install button on the store product page is enough which is what I took from the instructions on the blog.
2. Merely start the download/install from the Steam client is enough after adding the game into the library.
3. Full download, install and run the game.

It doesn't help that Valve's not reclarifying their instructions.
You have to start install? It already appeared in my steam library so probably it can be installed any time now right? I'm traveling and have a crappy 3G stick now and I don't want to use it to download games :/
niniendowarrior: I've left mine on download till whenever. We'll see what happens by the end of it. So far, nobody has a clear definition of what it is.

1. Install button on the store product page is enough which is what I took from the instructions on the blog.
2. Merely start the download/install from the Steam client is enough after adding the game into the library.

blotunga: You have to start install? It already appeared in my steam library so probably it can be installed any time now right? I'm traveling and have a crappy 3G stick now and I don't want to use it to download games :/
According to this, http://www.l4d.com/blog/

DragoonHP: Hopefully the second (or the first) case is true. I've to go out of town tomorrow, so there is no way in hell I will be able to finish downloading it.

And I think people at Valve are enjoying the confusion. I don't know if it's still there, but sometimes yesterday the price of L4D2 was $99.99 dollars (but it was striked out and changed to zero. http://i.imgur.com/moEcQ8Q.png

BlueMooner: It makes no sense from a merchant POV.

I've heard that steam lately is allowing companies to block gifting for region locked games. Thus, there can't be any concern about the game going where it shouldn't. If people only keep it if they install, that will make all the people who THOUGHT they had it very pissed off when steam takes it back from their accounts. That's bad PR, which no company wants. Further, people like yourselves in the Phillipines or India simply have no chance at all of getting the game if it has to be completely installed in time (3 days??). That's just rude and inconsiderate to people not in the US, or without a massively expensive connection. I live in the US with a poor connection, and it will take me 6 hours.
DragoonHP: 512kbps connection ftw. (I'm planning to switch to a 2mbps connection after exams end)
I saw the price at $99.99 but it was struck out to be free which is... hilarious in its own way. I'll keep my download running and hope for some minor miracle.
BlueMooner: It makes no sense from a merchant POV.

I've heard that steam lately is allowing companies to block gifting for region locked games. Thus, there can't be any concern about the game going where it shouldn't. If people only keep it if they install, that will make all the people who THOUGHT they had it very pissed off when steam takes it back from their accounts. That's bad PR, which no company wants. Further, people like yourselves in the Phillipines or India simply have no chance at all of getting the game if it has to be completely installed in time (3 days??). That's just rude and inconsiderate to people not in the US, or without a massively expensive connection. I live in the US with a poor connection, and it will take me 6 hours.

Lastly, if people HAVE to install it, that means that steam's servers are going to be overloaded sending data to all the gamers who want it, INSTEAD of keeping those servers open for people buying games or even just browsing their store. That's money lost. Losing money so people can get free stuff instead? Loony.

I simply have to assume that that warning about installing it simply refers to making sure it's attached to your account. I had to click on the button several times, each time SAYING that I had it, but not showing it in my acct.
A-freaking-men. The download requirement makes no sense at all and I don't think Valve should ever force anybody to install it. Download speeds are pathetic here and it won't get any better any time soon. If they are forcing people to install to make sure you own the game, then it's an incredibly rude promo. Might as well put a tag on the promo for specific requirements like US only.

blotunga: You have to start install? It already appeared in my steam library so probably it can be installed any time now right? I'm traveling and have a crappy 3G stick now and I don't want to use it to download games :/
Apparently... depending on who you ask.
Post edited December 26, 2013 by niniendowarrior
http://store.steampowered.com/news/12151/

Turns out, you have to install it. Let's see if partial-install will works.
DragoonHP: http://store.steampowered.com/news/12151/

That is no different from the blog. Is it?

You know what? It makes me feel like there's malware or something in the dl. Whenever anyone tries to put a time constraint on you to do something, it's because they don't want to give you time to investigate or think about it.

niniendowarrior: That is no different from the blog. Is it?
Well yes, but it's more official and it also strikes out the first option completely.
I will give away one Hearthstone key (EU or NA),
If you want it, PM me (to avoid ninjas),tell me what region you want and then tell me WHY you want it. I will choose one user and give him the key.
Merry Christmas!
I'm kind of surprised there's so much discussion about this. When Valve says "install", they mean clicking on the "install" button on the store page which adds it to your account and licenses/subscriptions. You don't need to download it to keep it. Once a game is in your licenses/subs, it's on your account for good. Exceptions to this would be stuff like betas or free weekends, but they'll specify as such in the title of the sub.
Post edited December 26, 2013 by spoderman
robb5: I will give away one Hearthstone key (EU or NA),
If you want it, PM me (to avoid ninjas),tell me what region you want and then tell me WHY you want it. I will choose one user and give him the key.
Merry Christmas!
Not in cause I would only be asking for a friend so we could play since I have it but nice giveaway it's a good game.
To celebrate the holidays in a special way this year, Left 4 Dead 2 will be free until 10AM PST 12/26.
It will be free as in, grab it now, pay no money, and it is yours to keep forever – FOR FREE!
To claim your L4D2 gift, all you need to do is install it.
If you don’t install, it goes back to its regular price and you miss out!
Source : http://steamcommunity.com/games/L4D2/announcements/detail/1964991833269216480

Merry Christmas!
Thanks for the giveaway! I wonder whether Russia qualifies as EU or not, though, so probably it's not a good idea to use a rare key just to find out I'm blocked. =/
Post edited December 26, 2013 by ZPavelZ
ZPavelZ: To celebrate the holidays in a special way this year, Left 4 Dead 2 will be free until 10AM PST 12/26.
It will be free as in, grab it now, pay no money, and it is yours to keep forever – FOR FREE!
To claim your L4D2 gift, all you need to do is install it.
If you don’t install, it goes back to its regular price and you miss out!
Source : http://steamcommunity.com/games/L4D2/announcements/detail/1964991833269216480

Merry Christmas!
ZPavelZ: Thanks for the giveaway! I wonder whether Russia qualifies as EU or not, though, so probably it's not a good idea to use a rare key just to find out I'm blocked. =/
You have a PM! Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Ki11s0n3: Not in cause I would only be asking for a friend so we could play since I have it but nice giveaway it's a good game.
You have a PM!
Merry Christmas!

Thats all folks, key sended, dreams made true, will be back. Soon!
In the mean time: Happy Holidays.
Post edited December 26, 2013 by robb5
spoderman: I'm kind of surprised there's so much discussion about this. When Valve says "install", they mean clicking on the "install" button on the store page which adds it to your account and licenses/subscriptions. You don't need to download it to keep it. Once a game is in your licenses/subs, it's on your account for good. Exceptions to this would be stuff like betas or free weekends, but they'll specify as such in the title of the sub.
That's pretty much what I thought but then some people are thinking about the "all you have to do is install it" which is strangely worded.
Me wonder if running S.A.M. and "fooling" Steam into thinking you have "played" an hour or two will make the "install" validation work :P
Hey all :)