It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Aveweto: well since theres no real buy option the button that usually adds the game to your cart starts the installation right away
Sachys: yeah, but due to the server crash earlier, time limit on the offer and a bunch of peoples internet speeds, its wise to let people know, as not everyone will actually install immediately (i didnt) and it appears to remain in your account if you dont - for now.
the same info was up on the steam fb page then removed swiftly.
says a lot.
either way, im done with being helpful today.
I think what needs to happen is to click on the Install Game button which will just add the free license to your account. I checked my account and the license is there, so I think it's there for good.
Sachys: yeah, but due to the server crash earlier, time limit on the offer and a bunch of peoples internet speeds, its wise to let people know, as not everyone will actually install immediately (i didnt) and it appears to remain in your account if you dont - for now.
the same info was up on the steam fb page then removed swiftly.
says a lot.
either way, im done with being helpful today.
niniendowarrior: I think what needs to happen is to click on the Install Game button which will just add the free license to your account. I checked my account and the license is there, so I think it's there for good.
mine was there before I installed. either way im not too bothered - realising its a multiplayer / co-op focused game makes it meaningless to me. im just trying to ensure those that are interested in it genuinely have the facts at hand and can make the best of it on the back of the dead zone earlier.
niniendowarrior: I think what needs to happen is to click on the Install Game button which will just add the free license to your account. I checked my account and the license is there, so I think it's there for good.
Sachys: mine was there before I installed. either way im not too bothered - realising its a multiplayer / co-op focused game makes it meaningless to me. im just trying to ensure those that are interested in it genuinely have the facts at hand and can make the best of it on the back of the dead zone earlier.
I'm not sure why the actual install is important here since the license is in the account. Install Game button or Play from the Steam Product Store Page should auto-redirect to add the free license which I think is what is meant by the blog.
I'm done with this now.
Sachys: I'm done with this now.
CLEARLY. LOL.
niniendowarrior: I'm not sure why the actual install is important here since the license is in the account. Install Game button or Play from the Steam Product Store Page should auto-redirect to add the free license which I think is what is meant by the blog.
The reason the install is important, is because that is how the promo is intended to be officially. If you don't install the game, it will be removed from your account when the promo ends, but allegedly if you do install it, you keep it forever.

http://www.l4d.com/blog/
niniendowarrior: I'm not sure why the actual install is important here since the license is in the account. Install Game button or Play from the Steam Product Store Page should auto-redirect to add the free license which I think is what is meant by the blog.
skeletonbow: The reason the install is important, is because that is how the promo is intended to be officially. If you don't install the game, it will be removed from your account when the promo ends, but allegedly if you do install it, you keep it forever.

http://www.l4d.com/blog/
If that's the promo then that is pretty stupid because it's virtually impossible for me to download 13 GB in a matter of hours.
Sachys: mine was there before I installed. either way im not too bothered - realising its a multiplayer / co-op focused game makes it meaningless to me. im just trying to ensure those that are interested in it genuinely have the facts at hand and can make the best of it on the back of the dead zone earlier.
Start installing and then pause it.
DragoonHP: Start installing and then pause it.
Does that constitute "installing" it? It will typically take me 3 days to download L4D2 so if that's the promo, that's bust.
Post edited December 26, 2013 by niniendowarrior
It really does seem stupid if that's what steam is doing. I have a free trial game still lingering on my account months after the one day deal expired.

The game doesn't mean much to me either since I never play online, but... *sigh* I guess there's no reason NOT to install it.
BlueMooner: It really does seem stupid if that's what steam is doing. I have a free trial game still lingering on my account months after the one day deal expired.

The game doesn't mean much to me either since I never play online, but... *sigh* I guess there's no reason NOT to install it.
Yup. That really does sound insane.
DragoonHP: Start installing and then pause it.
niniendowarrior: Does that constitute "installing" it? It will typically take me 3 days to download L4D2 so if that's the promo, that's bust.
Yes, as far as I know. (I'm basing it on the assumption that the "Install" button turns into "Play" and when you click on play, it says updating, not installing).

And it will take me to around 3.5 days of continuous download to install it too. So let's hope it is.

BlueMooner: It really does seem stupid if that's what steam is doing. I have a free trial game still lingering on my account months after the one day deal expired.

It's most probably to ensure that the players who grab the game will play it, instead of hoarding it. But yes, it is pretty stupid.
niniendowarrior: Does that constitute "installing" it? It will typically take me 3 days to download L4D2 so if that's the promo, that's bust.
DragoonHP: Yes, as far as I know. (I'm basing it on the assumption that the "Install" button turns into "Play" and when you click on play, it says updating, not installing).

And it will take me to around 3.5 days of continuous download to install it too. So let's hope it is.

DragoonHP: It's most probably to ensure that the players who grab the game will play it, instead of hoarding it. But yes, it is pretty stupid.
I've left mine on download till whenever. We'll see what happens by the end of it. So far, nobody has a clear definition of what it is.

1. Install button on the store product page is enough which is what I took from the instructions on the blog.
2. Merely start the download/install from the Steam client is enough after adding the game into the library.
3. Full download, install and run the game.

It doesn't help that Valve's not reclarifying their instructions.
It makes no sense from a merchant POV.

I've heard that steam lately is allowing companies to block gifting for region locked games. Thus, there can't be any concern about the game going where it shouldn't. If people only keep it if they install, that will make all the people who THOUGHT they had it very pissed off when steam takes it back from their accounts. That's bad PR, which no company wants. Further, people like yourselves in the Phillipines or India simply have no chance at all of getting the game if it has to be completely installed in time (3 days??). That's just rude and inconsiderate to people not in the US, or without a massively expensive connection. I live in the US with a poor connection, and it will take me 6 hours.

Lastly, if people HAVE to install it, that means that steam's servers are going to be overloaded sending data to all the gamers who want it, INSTEAD of keeping those servers open for people buying games or even just browsing their store. That's money lost. Losing money so people can get free stuff instead? Loony.

I simply have to assume that that warning about installing it simply refers to making sure it's attached to your account. I had to click on the button several times, each time SAYING that I had it, but not showing it in my acct.
niniendowarrior: I've left mine on download till whenever. We'll see what happens by the end of it. So far, nobody has a clear definition of what it is.

1. Install button on the store product page is enough which is what I took from the instructions on the blog.
2. Merely start the download/install from the Steam client is enough after adding the game into the library.
3. Full download, install and run the game.

It doesn't help that Valve's not reclarifying their instructions.
Hopefully the second (or the first) case is true. I've to go out of town tomorrow, so there is no way in hell I will be able to finish downloading it.

And I think people at Valve are enjoying the confusion. I don't know if it's still there, but sometimes yesterday the price of L4D2 was $99.99 dollars (but it was striked out and changed to zero. http://i.imgur.com/moEcQ8Q.png

BlueMooner: It makes no sense from a merchant POV.

I've heard that steam lately is allowing companies to block gifting for region locked games. Thus, there can't be any concern about the game going where it shouldn't. If people only keep it if they install, that will make all the people who THOUGHT they had it very pissed off when steam takes it back from their accounts. That's bad PR, which no company wants. Further, people like yourselves in the Phillipines or India simply have no chance at all of getting the game if it has to be completely installed in time (3 days??). That's just rude and inconsiderate to people not in the US, or without a massively expensive connection. I live in the US with a poor connection, and it will take me 6 hours.
512kbps connection ftw. (I'm planning to switch to a 2mbps connection after exams end)
Post edited December 26, 2013 by DragoonHP