It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I just had an idea... I wonder if Steam has a limit to how many game keys one can attempt to register one after the other, or within a certain time frame which cause the account to get banned/disabled if they are all invalid or duplicate or whatever. If for example testing 10 keys in less than 30 seconds would cause an account ban, we could occasionally post in here some fake giveaways that have 20 keys in them that are all made up, but clearly indicate that they are fake to honeypot bots/scripts so nobody else tries to click on them. Of course whatever words might be used in such a case would have to vary so as not to be scriptable also. :) Anyone know what Steam's limits are?

This would help discourage people from trying to use scripts.
Post edited November 16, 2013 by skeletonbow
skeletonbow: I just had an idea... I wonder if Steam has a limit to how many game keys one can attempt to register one after the other, or within a certain time frame which cause the account to get banned/disabled if they are all invalid or duplicate or whatever. If for example testing 10 keys in less than 30 seconds would cause an account ban, we could occasionally post in here some fake giveaways that have 20 keys in them that are all made up, but clearly indicate that they are fake to honeypot bots/scripts so nobody else tries to click on them. Of course whatever words might be used in such a case would have to vary so as not to be scriptable also. :) Anyone know what Steam's limits are?
Never tried entering that much keys so I don't know. I'm not even sure steam has those limits.
Jeets2: Not sure if that reply was meant to me? I ensure you if I ninja a game (at low odds mind you), it would be a good home for it. I get the sense that you suggest otherwise from your last sentence.
where did my response go?? Drat...

But nope, not directed at you - well the ";-p" was directed at your comment but the rest was just a general comment directed at everyone dropping free-range codes ;-)
Jeets2: Not sure if that reply was meant to me? I ensure you if I ninja a game (at low odds mind you), it would be a good home for it. I get the sense that you suggest otherwise from your last sentence.
Basically... There are people in here who lurk and never say anything and have scripts set up to grab all Steam/GOG/whatever keys that are posted and register them sight-unseen, and probably never play the actual games they swipe, and never thank people for the game codes. So the idea is that posting game codes blindly sometimes causes them to go to waste, or to go to unthankful people who are antisocial and just here to leech and not be a part of the community.

So some people have taken instead to posting "Free copy of game XYZ to the first person to reply" or other mechanics that force an actual human being to come forth and say something to receive a game code via private message and guarantee it isn't just a bot getting the game. Many consider this a better and more social way of giving away game codes with higher chance of them going to a human and more likelihood of receiving some gratitude in return etc.
skeletonbow: I just had an idea... I wonder if Steam has a limit to how many game keys one can attempt to register one after the other, or within a certain time frame which cause the account to get banned/disabled if they are all invalid or duplicate or whatever. If for example testing 10 keys in less than 30 seconds would cause an account ban, we could occasionally post in here some fake giveaways that have 20 keys in them that are all made up, but clearly indicate that they are fake to honeypot bots/scripts so nobody else tries to click on them. Of course whatever words might be used in such a case would have to vary so as not to be scriptable also. :) Anyone know what Steam's limits are?

This would help discourage people from trying to use scripts.
wouldn't they just build their bots to not try keys all that fast (like try 3 wait 1 sec try 3 more) or across different multiply accounts to avoid detection. Probably they would figure a way around, if they haven't already.
Momo1991: where did my response go?? Drat...

But nope, not directed at you - well the ";-p" was directed at your comment but the rest was just a general comment directed at everyone dropping free-range codes ;-)
Oki, Thanks for clarifying and sorry if I misunderstood the original intent.
Chimerical: wouldn't they just build their bots to not try keys all that fast (like try 3 wait 1 sec try 3 more) or across different multiply accounts to avoid detection. Probably they would figure a way around, if they haven't already.
Good point, if we know the limits they could also and could simply code around them, I should have thought about it more.
Momo1991: where did my response go?? Drat...

Jeets2: Oki, Thanks for clarifying and sorry if I misunderstood the original intent.
No worries ;-)

Just posting a bit of info for those that like to gift - not sure if bots are real or not but this place is a bit better when everyone says thanks - and free-range codes don't always get a reply. Anyway, just my 2 cents of bubble gum ;-p
where I'd like to know for sure there are no bots is on the current sale giveaways.
high rated
Have you heard that some mad vampire is giving away a GOG game of your choice?

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/thank_you_for_being_awesome_giveaway/page1

^,..,^
VampiroAlhazred: Have you heard that some mad vampire is giving away a GOG game of your choice?

^,..,^
Another +1 for the giveaway, and for the ASCII art. :)
VampiroAlhazred: Have you heard that some mad vampire is giving away a GOG game of your choice?

^,..,^
IAmSinistar: Another +1 for the giveaway, and for the ASCII art. :)
*,..,*

Hehe thanks!
Thoroughly shameless self-promotion for anyone who wants to try and win a copy of Crusader Kings II! :-D

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/crusader_kings_ii_giveaway

^,..,^
I second that! ;-D Oh and boobies ;-B
Momo1991: I second that! ;-D Oh and boobies ;-B
I third that! :-) Oh and ... boobie luv! ;-B <3