It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

niniendowarrior: Stupid question but I have to ask anyway... to those who have Steam on Linux... if I download a Steam game on Steam Linux client that is compatible to other platforms and backup the content of that game. Can I take it to Windows and install it there or do I have to redownload the Windows version?
soulitter: Sorry cant help with that.
I have a feeling the answer is to redownload it. I'm just wondering aloud. That's all. :D
niniendowarrior: Stupid question but I have to ask anyway... to those who have Steam on Linux... if I download a Steam game on Steam Linux client that is compatible to other platforms and backup the content of that game. Can I take it to Windows and install it there or do I have to redownload the Windows version?
Good question. This is just a guess from myself, but probably you will have to re-download the Windows versions. I used GNU/Linux many years ago for a couple of years (now I'm almost forgotten of all that stuff :P), but Linux software use different "executables", access to memory, and users management; and as for games, different multimedia APIs. Unless they are Windows versions emulated under Linux, probably the Linux versions are already optimized for the GNU/Linux O.S., and must have different files than the Windows versions...

Although, you could try to use the Steam Backup/Restore feature anyway, to see what happens... (:P)
Post edited September 16, 2013 by Azrael360
Azrael360: Good question. This is just a guess from myself, but probably you will have to re-download the Windows versions. I used GNU/Linux many years ago for a couple of years (now I'm almost forgotten of all that stuff :P), but Linux software use different "executables", and as for games, different multimedia APIs, access to memory, and users management. Unless they are Windows versions emulated under Linux, probably the Linux versions are already optimized for the GNU/Linux O.S., and must have different files than the Windows versions...

Although, you could try to use the Restore Steam feature anyway, to see what happens... (:P)
I'm pretty sure ELF binaries don't run on Windows. LOL

I was personally wondering whether Steam packages both executables into their releases since most of these cross platform games share the same assets. It felt like a streamlined approach to me, but probably isn't going to work.
Azrael360: Good question. This is just a guess from myself, but probably you will have to re-download the Windows versions. I used GNU/Linux many years ago for a couple of years (now I'm almost forgotten of all that stuff :P), but Linux software use different "executables", and as for games, different multimedia APIs, access to memory, and users management. Unless they are Windows versions emulated under Linux, probably the Linux versions are already optimized for the GNU/Linux O.S., and must have different files than the Windows versions...

Although, you could try to use the Restore Steam feature anyway, to see what happens... (:P)
niniendowarrior: I'm pretty sure ELF binaries don't run on Windows. LOL

I was personally wondering whether Steam packages both executables into their releases since most of these cross platform games share the same assets. It felt like a streamlined approach to me, but probably isn't going to work.
Tried to find something in the Support and forum posts.Nothing.
niniendowarrior: I'm pretty sure ELF binaries don't run on Windows. LOL

LOL ^_^
I use the Backup/Restore myself, and I have found many instances were just changing the language of a game, Steam starts downloading the audio files that are missing, or need to be changed. So I think that Steam only downloads the minimun necessary, instead of everything, probably to save bandwidth.

Maybe as you say, different versions share exactly the same files (same CRC), so there's that possibility that you can save some bandwidth restoring a previous backup from a different version, and Steam will only download what's missing...
Post edited September 16, 2013 by Azrael360
I decided to poke into my installation of Mark of the Ninja (proudly Linux installed!), and I see no exe files in there. I'm assuming that backing up local content has no download activity happening so it looks like this is definitely a case of re-download.
ok boy; Steam gave me another coupon for Shadow Warrior , they really want i buy it -_-
DyNaer: ok boy; Steam gave me another coupon for Shadow Warrior , they really want i buy it -_-
tell them: "non!"
DyNaer: ok boy; Steam gave me another coupon for Shadow Warrior , they really want i buy it -_-
Sachys: tell them: "non!"
pretty much , the coupon will go in the trashbot and fast ............. LOL

nobody want those coupons , the bot is full of them ^^
Post edited September 16, 2013 by DyNaer
DyNaer: pretty much , the coupon will go in the trashbot and fast ............. LOL

nobody want those coupon , the bot is full of them ^^
give em some edith!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88
DyNaer: pretty much , the coupon will go in the trashbot and fast ............. LOL

nobody want those coupon , the bot is full of them ^^
Sachys: give em some edith!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88
that's the soft version , my version is way less polite :P
Post edited September 16, 2013 by DyNaer
DyNaer: that's the soft version , my version is way less polite :P
heheh! ya got my meaning though! :)
I tried to play around with the laptop battery and the charger and nothing. This is not working at all. Could be charger... could be battery... could be something inside... maybe. Sad. This has been the worst birthday month for me ever. :(
niniendowarrior: I tried to play around with the laptop battery and the charger and nothing. This is not working at all. Could be charger... could be battery... could be something inside... maybe. Sad. This has been the worst birthday month for me ever. :(
how old are you again?
niniendowarrior: I tried to play around with the laptop battery and the charger and nothing. This is not working at all. Could be charger... could be battery... could be something inside... maybe. Sad. This has been the worst birthday month for me ever. :(
Sachys: how old are you again?
Old enough to die. :-p