It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Momo1991: Clever marketing tactic but a bit underhanded if you ask me.
niniendowarrior: It feels a bit like those freemium MMOs... dangling the carrot in front of you and then asking you to pay up.
God I hate pay-to-win games.
niniendowarrior: Okay. I just poked through Steam a bit. It's just a clever time-demo.

"Open Beta Now Available

Join the Open Beta Now! Plus, if you purchase you can continue your progression and maintain your unlocks from the Open Beta to the full game!"
dizcology: It is somewhat intrusive to my already crowded library :-(

They should at least have a smart algorithm or something that calculates the users' genre preferences before forcing a demo on us.
Actually for a while I was getting these but lately not so much - guess they figured if I didn't bite the first few times then it wasn't worth bothering.
negative on that there colonel...I show it now
MeImNot: Personally it makes me less likely to play the game in the first place. Seeing that it has a time limit makes me think "What do I do when that time limit is up?" and the answer is....buy the game. And I am a cheap person so I probably won't buy it.
Momo1991: Yeah, it is bound to backfire for many users but I bet it makes them a lot of dough.
Which seems to be the bottom line. It's how Roberta Williams justified King's Quest 8 vs a game like... Grim Fandango. "We made money even though the reviews were horrible. They had great reviews but sales tanked!"
buckstone: negative on that there colonel...I show it now
Well... if that's not the case... then maybe it's all the Steam users who like to enter betas. I have tons of stuff on beta with Steam.
Post edited June 05, 2013 by niniendowarrior
Momo1991: Yeah, it is bound to backfire for many users but I bet it makes them a lot of dough.
niniendowarrior: Which seems to be the bottom line. It's how Roberta Williams justified King's Quest 8 vs a game like... Grim Fandango. "We made money even though the reviews were horrible. They had great reviews but sales tanked!"
buckstone: negative on that there colonel...I show it now
niniendowarrior: Well... if that's not the case... then maybe it's all the Steam users who like to enter betas. I have tons of stuff on beta with Steam.
But I guess it is one way to get the product noticed, it just includes shoving it in peoples faces...
dizcology: It is somewhat intrusive to my already crowded library :-(

They should at least have a smart algorithm or something that calculates the users' genre preferences before forcing a demo on us.
Momo1991: Actually for a while I was getting these but lately not so much - guess they figured if I didn't bite the first few times then it wasn't worth bothering.
This!

This here is the ultimate algorithm: those who are more inclined to buy after trying out the limited time demo would get more of those demos. Now if only there is a way to mess with this formula and bring down Steam... and hence take over the whole world! Muhahahaha.
Momo1991: Actually for a while I was getting these but lately not so much - guess they figured if I didn't bite the first few times then it wasn't worth bothering.
dizcology: This!

This here is the ultimate algorithm: those who are more inclined to buy after trying out the limited time demo would get more of those demos. Now if only there is a way to mess with this formula and bring down Steam... and hence take over the whole world! Muhahahaha.
I believe that if we could harness this technology we could essencially brainwash people, thus starting the beginning of the end!
niniendowarrior: It feels a bit like those freemium MMOs... dangling the carrot in front of you and then asking you to pay up.
MeImNot: God I hate pay-to-win games.
Pay-to-Win sucks. It's horrible. But SWTOR doubled revenues... :(

Well apparently not - it just showed up in my library :-(

Momo1991: Well apparently not - it just showed up in my library :-(
My god they're reading this forum RIGHT NOW... THEY KNOW!! ABORT ABORT!

That won't happen... because sooner or later, Gabe Newell will become the overlord of video games.

They love you, Momo! They heard your whimpers and decided to give you a warm hug of automatic rifles and pistols.

niniendowarrior: That won't happen... because sooner or later, Gabe Newell will become the overlord of video games.
"Will" become the overlord of video games? I thought he already was! :3
MeImNot: My god they're reading this forum RIGHT NOW... THEY KNOW!! ABORT ABORT!
ZOMG! quick log off!!!

niniendowarrior: That won't happen... because sooner or later, Gabe Newell will become the overlord of video games.
niniendowarrior: They love you, Momo! They heard your whimpers and decided to give you a warm hug of automatic rifles and pistols.
Yeah cause a warm gun...well I'll stop right there ;-p
Post edited June 05, 2013 by Momo1991
JohnWalrus: "Will" become the overlord of video games? I thought he already was! :3
He's still trying to get Steam box going. :)
niniendowarrior: They love you, Momo! They heard your whimpers and decided to give you a warm hug of automatic rifles and pistols.
Momo1991: Yeah cause a warm gun...well I'll stop right there ;-p
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTU2Y0VFH0E
JohnWalrus: "Will" become the overlord of video games? I thought he already was! :3
niniendowarrior: He's still trying to get Steam box going. :)
Hey, I'd buy it if it means I don't have to learn how to maintain a computer!