It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Wurzelkraft: Any word about fixing all of the GOG downloader problems? I know it is not supported anymore but still...
if you want to fill up a ticket , do it , i won't (4 tickets in a row without any human answer) , maybe you will have more "luck" than i.

https://www.gog.com/support/contact/my_orders_and_payments

there're 3 options in the dropdown menu "problem type" for the downloader.

Beside discontinued , isn't the same thing as no more supported : it's just the downloader didn't received any update since years... we all know why.... Also in the library there's still links for the downloader.

So either it's still working , either it doesn't work anymore. SInce it wasn't mentioned it doesn't work anymore, i expect to be able to use it....
Post edited July 09, 2016 by DyNaer
high rated
Wurzelkraft: Any word about fixing all of the GOG downloader problems? I know it is not supported anymore but still...
Let's poke Thiev!

Thiev: Downloader issue for SOTS has been fixed, I'll take care of previous titles (like Crookz / Dreamfall) starting tomorrow.
Hi Thiev, any progress on this? The number of (updated) installers not working with the GOG Downloader is increasing with every passing day.
HypersomniacLive: Let's poke Thiev!

Thiev: Downloader issue for SOTS has been fixed, I'll take care of previous titles (like Crookz / Dreamfall) starting tomorrow.
HypersomniacLive: Hi Thiev, any progress on this? The number of (updated) installers not working with the GOG Downloader is increasing with every passing day.
Well, considering they said GOG Downloader is officially unsupported quite a long time ago... you know where I'm going with it, right?

On that note, Subterrain STILL can't be downloaded with it.
deleted
From MaGog's logs for 9 July:

---------------------------

A game has probably been added: Fossil Echo

Democracy 3 has probably changed

[FILE UPDATES]

* File added: DLC: Electioneering: Mac OS X installer, English --- File size: 7.0 MB --- Version: 1.283 (gog-47)

* File added: DLC: Electioneering: Windows installer, English --- File size: 14.0 MB --- Version: 1.283 (gog-19)

[NO CHANGELOG]

Duskers has probably changed

[FILE UPDATES]

* File changed: Linux installer, English --- File size *FROM* 102.0 MB *TO* 107.0 MB --- Version *FROM* 1.04 (gog-6) *TO* 1.03 (gog-5)

[NO CHANGELOG]

Hmmm... I wonder whether the Duskers update is indeed a version regression or just a typo...
micktiegs_8: Well, considering they said GOG Downloader is officially unsupported quite a long time ago... you know where I'm going with it, right?

GOG Downloader may indeed be no longer officially supported, however if I'm not mistaken the back end servers that serve GOG Downloader are the same resources that provide files for direct-download through a web browser from the GOG website - which is still supported and which GOG has stated will always be supported in the future.

As such, if a file is not available on the backend servers for GOG Downloader to be able to grab, this is not an evil conspiracy to force people to use Galaxy, it is an honest mistake by the GOG employees working hard to package our games up and release them. Human err happens, and they're usually pretty good about correcting the biggest problems that occur quickly when we report them.

If one is going to point out missing games in GOG Downloader as a conspiracy to get people to switch to Galaxy, then it is only equally fair to point out games that _are_ available through GOG Downloader and the website but are _not_ available in Galaxy too - as a conspiracy to make people use GOG Downloader instead of Galaxy. It makes the same logical or illogical sense to use either argument really.

While I still have GOG Downloader and it fires up when my OS starts, I usually exit it when I notice it but I like knowing it is around for backup if I need it. As anyone who follows this thread regularly should already know though - games very much DO go missing from GOG Galaxy quite often, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for days/weeks/months until someone notices and reports them. I know because I have had it happen a number of times, reported it here and in Mantis and our friendly neighbourhood Judas has sprung up from time to time usually with lightning speed to correct the problem.

I see games missing from the website/downloader as no different from that. There is no conspiracy to force people to use Galaxy like some people are fond of promulgating, this is just normal problems that occur with the distribution of files through all of the mechanisms with which they make the games available. And for those who aren't already aware of it, the website and downloader have different back end servers supplying the games than Galaxy does, so this is why games may appear on one and not the other at a given moment. There can be lag time between them, or as mentioned above good old fashioned honest human error.

So... :) I know where you were going with that, but it turns out to be destination nowhere when one looks at the facts. :)
high rated
micktiegs_8: Well, considering they said GOG Downloader is officially unsupported quite a long time ago... you know where I'm going with it, right?

When Thiev says he fixed the GOG Downloader issue for the latest SOTS installer, and will fix it for other titles, such as Crookz and Dreamfall Chapters, I think it's only natural to expect that he/GOG will fix them for all other games too.

I'm curious as to what went wrong, why it requires manual intervention for each game, and why it's spreading to every new update.
skeletonbow:
great deduction... in the form of an unnecessary wall, as expected. :D
Post edited July 09, 2016 by micktiegs_8
micktiegs_8: great deduction... in the form of an unnecessary wall, as expected. :D
I see anti-GOG conspiracy theories as unnecessary, and worthy of squashing with facts. :D
muntdefems: From MaGog's logs for 9 July:

A game has probably been added: Fossil Echo

Democracy 3 has probably changed

[FILE UPDATES]

* File added: DLC: Electioneering: Mac OS X installer, English --- File size: 7.0 MB --- Version: 1.283 (gog-47)

* File added: DLC: Electioneering: Windows installer, English --- File size: 14.0 MB --- Version: 1.283 (gog-19)

[NO CHANGELOG]

[FILE UPDATES]

* File changed: Linux installer, English --- File size *FROM* 102.0 MB *TO* 107.0 MB --- Version *FROM* 1.04 (gog-6) *TO* 1.03 (gog-5)

[NO CHANGELOG]

Hmmm... I wonder whether the Duskers update is indeed a version regression or just a typo...
We had to pull the Linux installer and put up a previous working version. The dreaded md5 error struck again and we'll sort it out on Monday.
Post edited July 09, 2016 by JudasIscariot
high rated
HypersomniacLive: I'm curious as to what went wrong, why it requires manual intervention for each game, and why it's spreading to every new update.
Probably just another example of GOG's apparent "Ok, it works. Don't mess with it." design preventing them from easily reworking the underlying design to render these sorts of problems impossible.

I'd start by using things like [url=http://stackoverflow.com/a/23787896/435253][2] to write a regression test every time they fix a rendering or chat bug. (CasperJS is a frontend that makes it as easy as possible to write tests once, then run them on both PhantomJS (headless WebKit) and SlimerJS (headless Gecko).)

Never underestimate the efficiency-increasing and stress-reducing properties of being able to re-run every test you though to perform with a single command.
Post edited July 10, 2016 by ssokolow
deleted
high rated
ssokolow: Probably just another example of GOG's apparent "Ok, it works. Don't mess with it." design preventing them from easily reworking the underlying design to render these sorts of problems impossible. [...]
You're probably right. I'd think it'd be more efficient to just do the work once (rework the underlying design), and be done, instead of handling each case as they come up. It always seems that when something breaks, it ends up taking a lot more time and effort to fix it.
high rated
ssokolow: Probably just another example of GOG's apparent "Ok, it works. Don't mess with it." design preventing them from easily reworking the underlying design to render these sorts of problems impossible. [...]
HypersomniacLive: You're probably right. I'd think it'd be more efficient to just do the work once (rework the underlying design), and be done, instead of handling each case as they come up. It always seems that when something breaks, it ends up taking a lot more time and effort to fix it.
Yes, but what are the odds of that? It's much easier to convince someone to start writing the tests they already do in an automation framework. Before they know it, they've built up quite a test suite.
high rated
Fom MaGog's logs for 11 July:

[FILE UPDATES]

* File changed: Linux installer, English --- Size has not changed (107.0 MB) --- Version *FROM* 1.03 (gog-5) *TO* 1.04 (gog-6)

[NO CHANGELOG]

JudasIscariot: We had to pull the Linux installer and put up a previous working version. The dreaded md5 error struck again and we'll sort it out on Monday.
Sorted out already, thanks!