It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Try the DRM-free online gaming platform.

<span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span>: our truly gamer-friendly, DRM-free online gaming platform. As we shared our vision with the world, we promised auto-patching, social functionality like chat, friends lists, and achievements. We promised our own multiplayer support and cross-play with Steam. Most importantly, we promised truly optional.

Today we deliver.
The <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span> client enters beta, open to anyone, with the most important functionality ready to try, test, enjoy (and break) at your leisure. We're proud to have gotten this far, and we know that we couldn't have done it without you all - that's everyone who spent months in alpha testing, that's those of you who talked to us about your needs and expectations, and it's every single one of you that has supported us since ever. So thanks, GOG Galaxy is for you!

With the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span>, you can install your games in one click and keep them up to date automatically, the beta currently supports this feature in all but a couple of titles available here. You can also perform backups easily by downloading a standalone installer through GOG Galaxy. The beta features a friends list, game time tracking, achievements, and chat. You can now talk to each other, connect with your group of friends, and see what everyone is playing. You can also try out our online multiplayer & matchmaking solution that, in select titles, includes cross-play: platform-independent multiplayer between gamers on GOG.com and Steam. If you download a patch that breaks something or if you just change your mind, the app will soon feature a unique rollback option to restore a previous version of your game.

Best of all, GOG Galaxy is optional. If you don't want to use any additional software, your experience with us won't change at all. If you only want to take advantage of select conveniences, you can toggle them on and off. It's all totally up to you.

You can sign up for the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span> and find out more on <span class="bold">gog.com/galaxy</span>, where we tell you about the features and answer many of the questions you may have. We'll be watching the forums carefully, so feel free to leave a comment if there is anything else that you'd like to know!
CrowTRobo: I know this is a few days old and someone else might have mentioned this, but I can't use Galaxy to download installers - I don't have the necessary specs to run the program. I am using an old Macbook running OSX 10.6.8. Galaxy requires 10.8. I have no intention of upgrading as the laptop does what I need perfectly fine, including running old games. Being able to continue to use the downloader matters to me.
I expect that eventually they'll kill the old downloader, by accident if nothing else. At that point, though, you can just use your browser to download the files like in the good old days. :)

(Or maybe they'll have opened the Galaxy protocol specs as promised so someone can write a 10.6.8-compatible client.)
ATimson: I expect that eventually they'll kill the old downloader, by accident if nothing else. At that point, though, you can just use your browser to download the files like in the good old days. :)

(Or maybe they'll have opened the Galaxy protocol specs as promised so someone can write a 10.6.8-compatible client.)
Yeah, I'm very glad I can still use the downloader. I'm sure it will be a while before it ends up not working for whatever reason. I shudder at the thought of downloading a gig or more of data via a standard web download. :)
DCT: Why? not being snarky., I am honestly curious as to the reasoning since you can download the installers through Galaxy and just about every thing in it is optional and so if you choose so it's basically a fancy downloader so outside of the stigma of the term Client I fail to personally see what the reason for having the downloader and a other application that does the same thing.
CrowTRobo: I know this is a few days old and someone else might have mentioned this, but I can't use Galaxy to download installers - I don't have the necessary specs to run the program. I am using an old Macbook running OSX 10.6.8. Galaxy requires 10.8. I have no intention of upgrading as the laptop does what I need perfectly fine, including running old games. Being able to continue to use the downloader matters to me.
Unfortunately, due to economics, we can't expect companies to actively support too old systems unless a large enough part of their customer base is using those systems. I would bet, however, that someone will build a third-party downloader compatible with your system. I don't know, JGoGDownloader likely still works (I haven't tested it) and maybe it will get updated, maybe someone will build a new downloader.
phaolo: This dude checked the logs and told me that Galaxy already downloads installers and not uncompressed data as I though too.
Logs! Why didn't I think of looking for those. Stupid of me.

After checking out the logs for Galaxy, it appears that the client downloads the files for the game in an uncompressed state, verifies them, and copies them into the target directory. Then it downloads a small "galaxy" installer for that game, which executes and puts entries in the Windows registry, etc.

For example, when I installed AvP Classic 2000, it downloaded all the files uncompressed but it also downloaded a "galaxy" installer that's 1.2 MB in size. 1.2 MB is obviously not large enough to contain all the files the game needs, even compressed.

It does seem to be a completely different procedure from the normal GOG installer. They're prioritizing install speed (not having to decompress) over increased download size.
Post edited May 10, 2015 by redrain85
redrain85: Agreed! There should be an option. So you don't have to download the game twice, if you want an offline/backup installer.[..]
phaolo: This dude checked the logs and told me that Galaxy already downloads installers and not uncompressed data as I though too.

Also, it's true that at first GOG wanted to delay D:OS and wait for Galaxy, but luckly they changed idea at the last time.
They released a pre-alpha with AVP, then.
I've looked at what Galaxy was downloading in alpha, and it was not a standalone installer... it was uncompressed files. Unless that has recently changed for the beta. This is why the Galaxy downloads are much larger than the standalone installers. No compression.

I guess I'll check that out again.

EDIT: Just checked, defiantly is not a standalone installer running in the background. Look in downloads folder via ProgramData (assuming you have't changed location), and you will clearly see the files being downloaded is uncompressed files. I checked with Tyrian 2000, the Galaxy download was slightly larger than the standalone installer. We shouldn't see that if Galaxy was just downloading the installer.

phaolo: I still don't understand why GOG cannot simply use standalones also for Galaxy installations.
They're smaller than the uncompressed data and with silent switches they could do everything.
BlackChar: actually, looking at log files from galaxy, that's exactly what client does. downloads the installer and runs it in silent mode:
2015-05-05 21:23:56:715 [galaxy_client][Information]: Requesting service to run process: C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\support\1207659128\1207659128\galaxy_lucius_2.1.0.9.exe, with arguments: "C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\support\1207659128\1207659128\galaxy_lucius_2.1.0.9.exe" /VERYSILENT /DIR="D:\Games\Lucius" /Language="English" /LANG="English" ...
Unless this has changed for the beta, I've seen what Galaxy was downloading and it was not a standalone installer... it was uncompressed files. If that was true, the Galaxy download size would be the same as the standalone installer.

EDIT: See above, doesn't appear to be the case.
Post edited May 10, 2015 by BKGaming
redrain85: Logs! Why didn't I think of looking for those. Stupid of me.

After checking out the logs for Galaxy, it appears that the client downloads the files for the game in an uncompressed state, verifies them, and copies them into the target directory. Then it downloads a small "galaxy" installer for that game, which executes and puts entries in the Windows registry, etc.

For example, when I installed AvP Classic 2000, it downloaded all the files uncompressed but it also downloaded a "galaxy" installer that's 1.2 MB in size. 1.2 MB is obviously not large enough to contain all the files the game needs, even compressed.

It does seem to be a completely different procedure from the normal GOG installer. They're prioritizing install speed (not having to decompress) over increased download size.
They have said before that Galaxy will eventually have compression... I'd imagine they might even offer a download and install standalone installer option once every installer is updated for Galaxy. Some still haven't been.
green.anger: Later is better. But it's already implemented that way. "Download Extras" is split in two sections, "Game Installer" and "Game Extras". For me it's totally fine, except for the name of sub-menu. It should be "Downloads" as you suggested, not "Download Extras". "Extra" is confusing, you wouldn't consider an installer to be an extra. But "Downloads" is fine for everything.
Agreed, it's possible to word it in a way that is more clear.

green.anger: The bigger concern I have is about inability to download DLC installer. There are installers, patches, but no DLC. If you want your DLC installed you'll have to install core game and then in the "Configure" sub-menu click checkboxes for needed DLC. What's more, for some games DLC are installed with the core game without your permission and you'll have to uninstall them later, if you don't need them. And as we know Galaxy doesn't download installers during installation. So the only option to get DLC installer is to go to the website. What is it, flawed design?
I think if the game comes from the publisher as a game installer/archive and separate DLC installer/archives, and in particular if the regular web based downloads provides the individual installers for them all, then it makes sense to offer that content as individual downloads within Galaxy also. I think some games come direct from the publisher as a single installer that includes all DLC directly integrated though, so the publisher would have to split things up in order for GOG to easily be able to offer it as optional separate downloads That is potentially doable if the publisher and GOG both think it's worth the effort to do though I suppose.

I've got the Chronicles of Riddick game from GOG, and it actually comes with 2 different games bundled together, but they're not bundled together in a way like all of the games GOG recently unbundled, but they're rather 2 different games hard-wired together with a single launcher that get installed as one unit. I know there are some other games in the catalogue like this, and probably cases of game+DLC like that too that might require publisher assistance to separate properly in order to be viable to do.

It looks like there's a general step in the right direction happening though, but some things are likely to happen sooner than others or be higher priority than others too. Time will tell I guess. ;)
green.anger: The bigger concern I have is about inability to download DLC installer. There are installers, patches, but no DLC. If you want your DLC installed you'll have to install core game and then in the "Configure" sub-menu click checkboxes for needed DLC. What's more, for some games DLC are installed with the core game without your permission and you'll have to uninstall them later, if you don't need them. And as we know Galaxy doesn't download installers during installation. So the only option to get DLC installer is to go to the website. What is it, flawed design?
I think it's because there still working on it. For instance DLC was in the extra's section for Mount and Blade Warband, but now it's gone. It was difficult to know what was what though because everything had the title "GAME" If I remember right.

So I imagine they will be there eventually... as long as it wasn't always bundled with the actual game. As far as Galaxy downloading DLC, have your tried going to library and click MORE -> Configure and see if you can uncheck DLC before download?
Post edited May 10, 2015 by BKGaming
BKGaming: I've looked at what Galaxy was downloading in alpha, and it was not a standalone installer... it was uncompressed files. Unless that has recently changed for the beta. This is why the Galaxy downloads are much larger than the standalone installers. No compression.

EDIT: Just checked, defiantly is not a standalone installer running in the background. Look in downloads folder via ProgramData (assuming you have't changed location), and you will clearly see the files being downloaded is uncompressed files. I checked with Tyrian 2000, the Galaxy download was slightly larger than the standalone installer. We shouldn't see that if Galaxy was just downloading the installer.

Unless this has changed for the beta, I've seen what Galaxy was downloading and it was not a standalone installer... it was uncompressed files. If that was true, the Galaxy download size would be the same as the standalone installer.

Reading through the forums the last week or so it seems there is conflicting information about what Galaxy downloads as both GOG employees and customers have made statements that Galaxy downloads an uncompressed pre-installed version of the games, and others have stated that they've observed it downloading an installer and running it locally with commandline options to run silently and then delete the installer afterwards. I've seen some people debate that point and while I haven't directly investigated it myself I'm thinking that it is possible that it might do it more than one way depending on what the game is. I'm inclined to believe what GOG has stated on the topic because they're the most knowledgable about what their software does, but at the same time they may not have communicated it in full detail, or it is possible that the intent is for it to work one way but it isn't unified for all games yet and perhaps some of them install from the standalone installers for now until they get updated later on or something.

Either way, it would be nice to hear clarification about this from a blue as there is definitely confusion about it, and some of the communication I've seen a few days ago was a little polarized rather than either observer being able to consider that both situations could be true in co-existence.

Having said that, if anyone has directly observed the installation of a _specific_ game to be Galaxy downloading a preinstalled version, or directly observed it downloading an installer and running it with commandline options to run in the background hidden and expand itself, if they could provide the raw data of their observations here that'd be nice too and take some of the speculation out of things.
BKGaming: I've looked at what Galaxy was downloading in alpha, and it was not a standalone installer... it was uncompressed files. Unless that has recently changed for the beta. This is why the Galaxy downloads are much larger than the standalone installers. No compression.

skeletonbow: Reading through the forums the last week or so it seems there is conflicting information about what Galaxy downloads as both GOG employees and customers have made statements that Galaxy downloads an uncompressed pre-installed version of the games, and others have stated that they've observed it downloading an installer and running it locally with commandline options to run silently and then delete the installer afterwards. I've seen some people debate that point and while I haven't directly investigated it myself I'm thinking that it is possible that it might do it more than one way depending on what the game is. I'm inclined to believe what GOG has stated on the topic because they're the most knowledgable about what their software does, but at the same time they may not have communicated it in full detail, or it is possible that the intent is for it to work one way but it isn't unified for all games yet and perhaps some of them install from the standalone installers for now until they get updated later on or something.

Either way, it would be nice to hear clarification about this from a blue as there is definitely confusion about it, and some of the communication I've seen a few days ago was a little polarized rather than either observer being able to consider that both situations could be true in co-existence.

Having said that, if anyone has directly observed the installation of a _specific_ game to be Galaxy downloading a preinstalled version, or directly observed it downloading an installer and running it with commandline options to run in the background hidden and expand itself, if they could provide the raw data of their observations here that'd be nice too and take some of the speculation out of things.
Maybe that could be true, I've never seen that be the case though. Would like to see a blue comment on this as well. Perhaps this is how there going to do compression. Just use the standalone installer and let Galaxy handle the installation. If true then they do need to allow us to save the installer as a backup so we don't have to download twice.
skeletonbow: Reading through the forums the last week or so it seems there is conflicting information about what Galaxy downloads as both GOG employees and customers have made statements that Galaxy downloads an uncompressed pre-installed version of the games, and others have stated that they've observed it downloading an installer and running it locally with commandline options to run silently and then delete the installer afterwards.
The confusion is understandable, because the Galaxy Beta (right now, anyway) does both at the same time. It downloads the game assets uncompressed, but also downloads an installer. This installer does not contain the game assets, it's just there to do the necessary tasks to register the game as installed in Windows. The installer is very small, and obviously does not include the game's assets, even in a compressed form.

The installer is also not deleted. For example, for AvP Classic 2000, the installer is still there (in my case) at "C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\support\XXXXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXXX\galaxy_avp_classic_2.1.0.25.exe". (I've replaced the numbers with X's, because I don't know if they're different for other people.)
skeletonbow: Reading through the forums the last week or so it seems there is conflicting information about what Galaxy downloads as both GOG employees and customers have made statements that Galaxy downloads an uncompressed pre-installed version of the games, and others have stated that they've observed it downloading an installer and running it locally with commandline options to run silently and then delete the installer afterwards.
redrain85: The confusion is understandable, because the Galaxy Beta (right now, anyway) does both at the same time. It downloads the game assets uncompressed, but also downloads an installer. This installer does not contain the game assets, it's just there to do the necessary tasks to register the game as installed in Windows. The installer is very small, and obviously does not include the game's assets, even in a compressed form.

The installer is also not deleted. For example, for AvP Classic 2000, the installer is still there (in my case) at "C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\support\XXXXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXXX\galaxy_avp_classic_2.1.0.25.exe". (I've replaced the numbers with X's, because I don't know if they're different for other people.)
Can confirm. I've seen that too.. the download has an installer, but it's very tiny in size.
redrain85: The confusion is understandable, because the Galaxy Beta (right now, anyway) does both at the same time. It downloads the game assets uncompressed, but also downloads an installer. This installer does not contain the game assets, it's just there to do the necessary tasks to register the game as installed in Windows. The installer is very small, and obviously does not include the game's assets, even in a compressed form.

Ahh, that makes more sense to me now, thanks for the info. I haven't dug under the hood of things yet myself. :)
Here's hoping the logo in the top left corner will finally get Galaxy's beautiful colors!
redrain85: The installer is also not deleted. For example, for AvP Classic 2000, the installer is still there (in my case) at "C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\support\XXXXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXXX\galaxy_avp_classic_2.1.0.25.exe". (I've replaced the numbers with X's, because I don't know if they're different for other people.)
Hey, you're right! I've noticed during installation Galaxy created a temporary folder with uncompressed data and a tiny installer. But I'd never checked "support" folder on C: drive. All of the installers for games I've ever install via Galaxy are there. All are tiny. However, for some reason for "The Witcher" (the first one) along with the installer there's folder named "add" and it contains some *.adv files which are more than 640 MB in total.