It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GameRager: Well episodic game passes usually do, for one.
nijuu: They arent really the same though. Yes seen episodic game passes - they have to tell you otherwise you wont buy it if you know further episodes are guaranteed. With season passes (the majority out right now) - gives your discount on DLC content but you have zero idea what and how many there will be :(
It's like a KS, imo....you take the risk that your investment will be rewarded....this doesn't mean that they're all done to scam people(as some think), though, or that if one "fails to deliver" that the devs. did such to scam people.
nijuu: They arent really the same though. Yes seen episodic game passes - they have to tell you otherwise you wont buy it if you know further episodes are guaranteed. With season passes (the majority out right now) - gives your discount on DLC content but you have zero idea what and how many there will be :(
GameRager: It's like a KS, imo....you take the risk that your investment will be rewarded....this doesn't mean that they're all done to scam people(as some think), though, or that if one "fails to deliver" that the devs. did such to scam people.
The point of the passes like you indicated is more for the discount than anything else. DLC season passes is a crapshoot - Borderlands 2's is very good. Other major ones could be shite (Alien Colonial Marines - considering the main game is crap i dont know what the season pass holders are thinking now), Bioshock Infinite could be either good or bad, In any case it benefits the devs more - they get the money and could pump out awful DLC :/. The episodic passes seem a good idea - Kentucky route zero, cognition etc
I honestly thought until it started come on up here that "Season Pass" was just the DLC way of saying "Collection Discount". Every Season Pass I've ever bought gave me everything in the Season Pass straight away. No mess, no fuss. All the hate is genuinely confusing me.

Of course I now realise the REASON for this is I have never been the type to need games the second they are released. I've never pre-ordered a game and never will. Not when it is almost guaranteed a Short time later that same game will be so much cheaper. Considering DLC in any form is completely useless until you have the game with which to play it. As such, by the time I buy a game, all the DLC is usually released, and instantly accessible.

Of course the amount of DLC I buy can be counted on the fingers of the left hand of a blind butcher. Fortunately we have not yet got to a point where any DLC is specifically necessary to actually fully complete a game.

.. have we?
HeDanny: I honestly thought until it started come on up here that "Season Pass" was just the DLC way of saying "Collection Discount". Every Season Pass I've ever bought gave me everything in the Season Pass straight away. No mess, no fuss. All the hate is genuinely confusing me.
A lot of people get super pissed about planned expansion content before the game is out. They think everything thought of before release should be in the game, and consider games incomplete without it. It's an OCD thing a lot of times but mostly just cynicism and lack of understanding of how game development works (people need things to do during the final polishing months).
dyscode: Anyone mentioned the Still Life Bundle at Indiegala Store?

$1 SL 1
$4 + SL2 and Post Mortem
-$1 if you have the Dwarf Bundle

next 5 days:
http://store.indiegala.com/index.php/the-still-life-bundle.html
They pulled it early like a few other mini bundles that were supposed to go for a few days (past bundles)."sold out"
StingingVelvet: A lot of people get super pissed about planned expansion content before the game is out. They think everything thought of before release should be in the game, and consider games incomplete without it. It's an OCD thing a lot of times but mostly just cynicism and lack of understanding of how game development works (people need things to do during the final polishing months).
On the other hand, season passes are definitely not aimed at people who want to save money. To the time all of the content planned for season pass is released, there will be numerous sales on regular dlcs - for the games I observed, season passes bought early are just a waste of money. Unless you are too retarded or lazy to buy the DLCs separately.

At least for me, DLCs are meant to be bought only on sales ;P

But I don't think we will have to wait long for "exclusive DLC for season pass owners only" to encourage burning some more dollars in the chimney ;-)
Post edited March 22, 2013 by keeveek
StingingVelvet: A lot of people get super pissed about planned expansion content before the game is out. They think everything thought of before release should be in the game, and consider games incomplete without it. It's an OCD thing a lot of times but mostly just cynicism and lack of understanding of how game development works (people need things to do during the final polishing months).
keeveek: On the other hand, season passes are definitely not aimed at people who want to save money. To the time all of the content planned for season pass is released, there will be numerous sales on regular dlcs - for the games I observed, season passes bought early are just a waste of money. Unless you are too retarded or lazy to buy the DLCs separately.

At least for me, DLCs are meant to be bought only on sales ;P

But I don't think we will have to wait long for "exclusive DLC for season pass owners only" to encourage burning some more dollars in the chimney ;-)
Except in certain cases it certainly *is* cheaper to buy season pass just for the new release content (not including the inevitable discounts bound to happen on steam etc) at launch prices. Lets see how the Bioshock Infinite season pass does ;)

Btw how is Fm 2013? ;)
Post edited March 22, 2013 by nijuu
keeveek: But I don't think we will have to wait long for "exclusive DLC for season pass owners only" to encourage burning some more dollars in the chimney ;-)
They already do the opposite, like releasing DLC which is not included in the pass. Maybe they should do both, to have the customers fucked no matter how they turn.
nijuu: Except in certain cases it certainly *is* cheaper to buy season pass just for the new release content (not including the inevitable discounts bound to happen on steam etc) at launch prices. Lets see how the Bioshock Infinite season pass does ;)
Yeah, also buying pre orders on 10% discount is cheaper than buying it on release date, but the reality is - 3 weeks after game's release it will be even cheaper.

If somebody wants to throw money at devs, I don't have a slightest problem with that. All I say is that reality looks like there is no simple reason to buy anything early anymore. Unless you have OCD and feel the unstoppable urge of playing everything as soon as possible.

OK. There is sense in buying season passes for multiplayer content - having new maps or weapons as soon as they are released has some value if you play multiplayer.

grviper: They already do the opposite, like releasing DLC which is not included in the pass. Maybe they should do both, to have the customers fucked no matter how they turn.
:D Every evil master plan I come up with, they already have the worse one up their sleeves :D
nijuu: The point of the passes like you indicated is more for the discount than anything else.
----------
DLC season passes is a crapshoot - Borderlands 2's is very good. Other major ones could be shite (Alien Colonial Marines - considering the main game is crap i dont know what the season pass holders are thinking now), Bioshock Infinite could be either good or bad, In any case it benefits the devs more - they get the money and could pump out awful DLC :/.
---------------
The episodic passes seem a good idea - Kentucky route zero, cognition etc
True...which is part of why I get a laugh out of those who claim ALL season passes are crap/scams.
-------------------
Yes, but it's not like all of them set out to sell season passes then create crap DLC/no DLC to scam people as some seem to think.
---------------------
Agreed.
low rated
keeveek: Yeah, also buying pre orders on 10% discount is cheaper than buying it on release date, but the reality is - 3 weeks after game's release it will be even cheaper.
-------------------
If somebody wants to throw money at devs, I don't have a slightest problem with that. All I say is that reality looks like there is no simple reason to buy anything early anymore. Unless you have OCD and feel the unstoppable urge of playing everything as soon as possible.
------------------
OK. There is sense in buying season passes for multiplayer content - having new maps or weapons as soon as they are released has some value if you play multiplayer.
Damn, yer cheap. Why not just pirate everything if you want it to be the cheapest possible? :p
-----------------------
One good reason to buy early: To keep the devs from losing their jobs/not creating sequels due to poor sales.
------------------
OMG....is that.....is that a concessionary reply?
GameRager: Damn, yer cheap. Why not just pirate everything if you want it to be the cheapest possible? :p
If you want to participate in a debate, maybe read the discussion first. I was only saying that season passes are not meant for people who want to buy things cheaper as someone previously suggested. I think that season passes are mostly aimed at people who want to get new things as soon as they are released (and there is nothing wrong about that), and they get a package discount, but it's not the main "feature" of season passes, imo.

Also, I would make some "Why don't you just" comment again, but I would be downrepped once again.

But I will say again: if you don't have anything to add to the discussion apart from your silly questions, just... don't? But I guess it's just GameRager being GameRager again.

One good reason to buy early: To keep the devs from losing their jobs/not creating sequels due to poor sales.
Sales models are changing constantly. Today, discounting a game for 25% in the first month after release is a common practice. So I could agree, only if you feel that urge to help the poor devs, then it makes sense to buy anything day 1.
keeveek: Yeah, also buying pre orders on 10% discount is cheaper than buying it on release date, but the reality is - 3 weeks after game's release it will be even cheaper.
-------------------
------------------
GameRager: Damn, yer cheap. Why not just pirate everything if you want it to be the cheapest possible? :p
-----------------------
------------------
OMG....is that.....is that a concessionary reply?
I don't think what he said came off as cheap, and it's certainly not supporting piracy. *shrug*

Also, I thought you were pro-piracy?
Is people still managing to keep tabs on Bioshock Infinite pre-order deals?

Gamersgate - http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/bioshockinfinite

£29.95 =

30% back as Blue Coins
+
XCom and Bioshock
+
Bioshock 2 or Mafia II or CIv V or Spec Ops: The Line or Darkness II

edit: and the game itself, off course...

so, seeing Blue Coins as a currency, the things is ~£21, for this you get the new game, plus 3 others decent games = £5 per game....
Post edited March 22, 2013 by amok
GG Daily
Galaxy on Fire HD is 75% off €3.75 , Steam
Also Jet Set Radio for €2.70, -66%, Steam

Also on 50% the Anuman Adventure The Secrets of Da Vinci €9.50, DRM Free
and The Cave, €6.50, Steam

Desura:
Millenium - A new Hope €4, -50%
Spin Wars €1.75, -50%

And A Bioshock Infinite review:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/22/bioshock-infinite-xbox-360ps3-review
Post edited March 22, 2013 by dyscode