It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Gazoinks: Yeah, but I already have the base on Steam from the Humble Bundle.
abolat: TQ? What is that?
Titan Quest
Red_Avatar: If GG sold these games "illegally" (i.e. below cost)[...]
Robette: Below cost at what time?
If that definition of "illegally" is sound, wouldn't that render all clearance sales ever or underpricing for promotion illegal?
You're comparing physical stores with stock to digital keys. Gamersgate has a contract with Bethesda to buy keys at a certain price, this is not old stock, these are new items which they'll pay Bethesda for.
Red_Avatar: Honestly, people need to grow up a bit. People abused a wrong price knowingly and now complain that Gamersgate now fixes thing
There's a difference between fixing a mistake by issuing a refund and stating as such and by simply removing the product and keeping the money. Which has happened to a lot of us. And that's not even taking into account how difficult it can be to determine if something is a mistake in the first place. Borderlands 2 season pass at 75% off, for example. How do you determine that's a mistake and not simply a discount?

It's even worse when they leave such mistakes live for almost an entire day and then wait several more before doing the complete opposite to what they originally stated.
nmillar: ‘Generally, if you enter into a contract for goods which a company fails or refuses to deliver, then a breach of contract occurs and you can look to the company for damages (being the cost of having to buy the goods elsewhere). But where it is clear that a mistake has been made, the law will not allow one person to benefit as a result.
I presume your post refers to the Bethesda 'fiasco'?
I haven't followed the debate here in detail, but the thing that you quoted I think refers to a fairly famous case in UK courts. Cannot remember the name - 1st year contract law. Basically, as far as I recall, the facts were as follows: a printer valued at 200 quid was mistakenly being advertised online for 2 quid. In that case it was 'obvious' that the price was a mistake.

On the other hand, digital goods are very different and cost next to nothing to replicate. Moreover, deep, deep discounts are a characteristic of the industry, so it is not very clear cut here. In any case, I'd imagine that the Sale of Goods Act would be the appropriate starting point and not contract law as such.

What was the price of the bundle?
Red_Avatar: Steam did the exact same thing: refunded the games and removed them from people's accounts. Or they froze payment and actually locked people's accounts which is far worse if you ask me.
When have Steam done that? They've openly stated previously that they honor pricing mistakes. In fact the only time I've heard of forced refunds from Steam is when they've been instructed to do so by a publisher who has decided to not release a game in region. (The last I heard of *that* happening, by the way, was with Mafia 2 in Japan).
FraterPerdurabo: What was the price of the bundle?
The Beth bundle was $30. The sort of price you'd expect from one of Amazon's discounts.
Post edited December 28, 2012 by bansama
Dunno, I thought they buy a certain amount and then restock if needed, so technically they store a stock of keys, or?
EDIT: I can't quote, because every post of mine over 3 lines vanishes...
Post edited December 28, 2012 by Robette
Red_Avatar: Steam did the exact same thing: refunded the games and removed them from people's accounts. Or they froze payment and actually locked people's accounts which is far worse if you ask me.
bansama: When have Steam done that? They've openly stated previously that they honor pricing mistakes. In fact the only time I've heard of forced refunds from Steam is when they've been instructed to do so by a publisher who has decided to not release a game in region. (The last I heard of *that* happening, by the way, was with Mafia 2 in Japan).
It's been a year or two - basically, they had a game for a silly amount - $0,03 or so. I forgot the name of the game (I *think* it was Prince of Persia) - in any case, I wasn't too interested in the game but since it was practically free, bought it anyway. Support basically said that exploiting obvious pricing errors fell under abuse and unlocked my account after having told me off.

Also, at one time they sold a game at a negative amount. If people added another game besides it, they actually paid less. That didn't stop Steam from fixing it.
retsuseiba: lol'd
Red_Avatar: Well true it's not the first time but it's a pretty damn big mistake considering it could cripple the company - and to be fair, all other digital sites have made mistakes as well including Steam and Steam did the exact same thing: refunded the games and removed them from people's accounts. Or they froze payment and actually locked people's accounts which is far worse if you ask me. This happened to me once - I made the payment only for my account to be locked. I contacted support and they said that I had willingly exploited a mistake.
Aningan: If the law is so clear in the EU why don't people quote the exact law in a reply to GG and be done with. They don't have a choice in the matter if the law is clear and you show them you know the law.
Red_Avatar: ....

Part of my job is price calculation and if we make a mistake in our price offer that means we'd be selling at a loss, we legally have the right to rectify the price offer and the old one becomes void. ....
Just out of curiosity here, since you said part of your job is pricing and mentioned that you have the right to rectify the price offer (and I am totally with you here do far), let me ask you aomething, and this is a genuine question. I don't know what it is you are selling but let us assume it is M&M's (mainly because I am craving some right now :P) and you mistakenly price them at $0.5 for the large pack (usually goes for about $5); once you have rectified the price, does the law give you the right to go to the homes of the people that bought the M&M's enter their homes take the M&M's and leave the money they paid with them and leave? (For the sake of analogy assumptions: you know the houses of the people that buy from you.)
Red_Avatar: Snip
Never heard of that before. I know I still have that golf game they accidentally sold in Australia for $0.10. And the recent (summer sale) mistake where they sold a game for 97% off was honored too.
PenguinJim: I didn't think they'd cancelled any more since the email?
bansama: What email? I and many others, never got an email or a refund. They've simply just removed the games. Now, if Pat 4 was mistake they made today, then people can expect it to vanish tomorrow. As they removed the Beth pack, Ghost Recon, and Borderlands 2 stuff today. And possibly others too.
I think this is the beginning of the end of GamersGate . I bet Bethesda and Ubisoft will remove their games from the store soon .
Red_Avatar: Snip
bansama: Never heard of that before. I know I still have that golf game they accidentally sold in Australia for $0.10. And the recent (summer sale) mistake where they sold a game for 97% off was honored too.
Yes, and I still have the $2.19 King's Bounty Platinum and $2.99 Disciples III and £3.50 Mass Effect 3 and $1.19 Dungeon Siege III and $27 Bethesda pack and apparently a free Borderlands 2. Looks like Gamersgate have been quite good at honoring their price mistakes.

Although it might not look that way if you started shopping there this week...
for something completely different a SALE:

LA Noire is 75% off on Steam for $3.74, Daily deal
http://store.steampowered.com/app/110800/

If there are some people left here interested in sales, that it ...

BTW:
While I was asleep on 27th the Sleeping Dogs DLC was on -50% sale -
DAMN you Japanese Time-Zone and damn you Sleep!!!
Red_Avatar: Well true it's not the first time but it's a pretty damn big mistake considering it could cripple the company - and to be fair, all other digital sites have made mistakes as well including Steam and Steam did the exact same thing: refunded the games and removed them from people's accounts. Or they froze payment and actually locked people's accounts which is far worse if you ask me. This happened to me once - I made the payment only for my account to be locked. I contacted support and they said that I had willingly exploited a mistake.

Part of my job is price calculation and if we make a mistake in our price offer that means we'd be selling at a loss, we legally have the right to rectify the price offer and the old one becomes void. ....
abolat: Just out of curiosity here, since you said part of your job is pricing and mentioned that you have the right to rectify the price offer (and I am totally with you here do far), let me ask you aomething, and this is a genuine question. I don't know what it is you are selling but let us assume it is M&M's (mainly because I am craving some right now :P) and you mistakenly price them at $0.5 for the large pack (usually goes for about $5); once you have rectified the price, does the law give you the right to go to the homes of the people that bought the M&M's enter their homes take the M&M's and leave the money they paid with them and leave? (For the sake of analogy assumptions: you know the houses of the people that buy from you.)
I don't think that's a good analogy. You're basically asking if it's alright to commit a criminal offense to rectify a pricing mistake on M&Ms, well of course it's not right to condone break and enter to rectify a pricing mistake for chocolate.

The T&Cs at Gamersgate have two sections which could apply in this case with respect to pricing errors:

11. Indemnification
Your use of the Website constitutes your agreement to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless GamersGate, its parents and affiliates, and their respective employees, contractors, officers, and directors, from and against any actions, claims, demands, liability and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use or misuse of the Website or the use or misuse of the Website by a third party using your account.

12. Termination
These Terms of Use are effective until terminated. You agree that GamersGate may terminate your log in access to the Website, including your user name and password, at any time for any reason without prior notice or liability. GamersGate may change, suspend, or discontinue all or any aspect of the Website at any time, including the availability of any feature, without prior notice or liability.

Section 11 basically means that we've agreed to hold harmless GG from what action they take, such as removing a game from our account. Section 12 basically says, we agree that they can modify our account at any time, including removing games.

So your analogy should be, if I go into a shop and buy something and agree with the shop owner that I agree that they can do anything at all with respect to the goods they have sold me, including entering my house and taking them back, then I can't complain when they actually do come int my house and take the good because, well, I gave them permission to do so when I signed up to the T&Cs.

In the UK, if the price of a product is just simply wrongly labelled you don't automatically get to buy it for that price. For example, if a TV worth £599 has accidentally been labelled as £5.99 you don't, unfortunately, have a right to buy it for £5.99.

Also in the UK, if the sale does take place, the trader could try to argue that it made a mistake with the pricing which could make the contract void. But it would have to show that the price was so low that you must have known it was not genuine: for example, a new leather jacket with a price tag of £2 on it.

I think we can all agree that in this case, the price is obviously wrong, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Cheers

Mark
PenguinJim: Dungeon Siege III and $27 Bethesda pack and apparently a free Borderlands 2.
Don't you think Steam will remove them from your account ?
bansama: There's a difference between fixing a mistake by issuing a refund and stating as such and by simply removing the product and keeping the money. Which has happened to a lot of us.
I suppose you already mailed their support about this and did not receive an answer yet? Maybe some refunds got lost in the chaos (it appears that other people have been refunded in the same situation, after all).

FraterPerdurabo: On the other hand, digital goods are very different and cost next to nothing to replicate. Moreover, deep, deep discounts are a characteristic of the industry, so it is not very clear cut here. In any case, I'd imagine that the Sale of Goods Act would be the appropriate starting point and not contract law as such.
No no no, this cannot be. We have had several people already who reported that the law was very clear on this. I think the projected outome varied, though...
It would be nice to read an actual, professional view on such issues. But maybe this forum is not the right place to look for such a thing :)

On an unrelated note, while I find the discussion interesting, it seems to contain few gaming deals. Wouldn't it be better to create a separate topic?