It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Good evening everyone *big hugs and waves* :)

CarrionCrow: Generic music, boring gameplay, a general rehash with reused assets from a previous better title, an overall example that the series needs to change dramatically since it's run its main concept into the ground?
Sounds like Soulstorm to me on those points. Difference is, Dawn of War turned into Dawn of Company of Heroes and tried to call it fresh. No idea what Saints Row will turn into.
Oh that doesn't sound too good indeed. At least it wasn't a full price release. From what i heard Volition hinted that they plan to fully reboot the Saints Row franchise...
ElTerprise: Oh that doesn't sound too good indeed. At least it wasn't a full price release. From what i heard Volition hinted that they plan to fully reboot the Saints Row franchise...
Not surprised. By the looks of it, Volition passed the job off to another company. They wanted a filler title. (Again, not unlike what Relic did with passing Soulstorm off to the company that made Titan Quest before it closed.)

I imagine they're feeling as though they've written themselves into a corner conceptually. Kinda like the joke about horror movies, once you go the route of taking them to outer space, where do you go from there?
Given the series' usual attitude of "things are happening just because, go with it", they'll probably put in a scenario where they travel in time to reset the plot, restore the planet, and handwave all the details.
But even then, they're in a tricky position. They've essentially repeated the same gameplay structure for three games in a row now. However wacky or silly they choose to be, it won't continue to be enough to make up for a repetitive experience.
(Reminds me of the Shadowrun series a bit as I think about it. They're also sitting on a formula that needs a real substantial revamp and overhaul before they put out another title in the series.)
Post edited January 18, 2016 by CarrionCrow
CarrionCrow: Not surprised. By the looks of it, Volition passed the job off to another company. They wanted a filler title. (Again, not unlike what Relic did with passing Soulstorm off to the company that made Titan Quest before it closed.)

I imagine they're feeling as though they've written themselves into a corner conceptually. Kinda like the joke about horror movies, once you go the route of taking them to outer space, where do you go from there?
Given the series' usual attitude of "things are happening just because, go with it", they'll probably put in a scenario where they travel in time to reset the plot, restore the planet, and handwave all the details.
But even then, they're in a tricky position. They've essentially repeated the same gameplay structure for three games in a row now. However wacky or silly they choose to be, it won't continue to be enough to make up for a repetitive experience.
(Reminds me of the Shadowrun series a bit as I think about it. They're also sitting on a formula that needs a real substantial revamp and overhaul before they put out another title in the series.)
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing i guess. I can see the potential of those smaller standalone games. Best example i guess is FarCry 3: Blood Dragon which is supposed to be a really great game despite being just an expandalone....
But Gat Out of Hell is apparently not on the same level - not even close.....

Good point. That's the backlash of ignoring a more linear character and world development. It's the downside of the route they were going after SR2 - which is considered by some to be the best SR game (not on the PC though) because it still has some balance a more serious story and silly stuff....

Imho they have to concentrate on the elements which sets SR apart from other open-world games like GTA and work with those elements. And i wouldn't necessarily oppose a story-reboot or a complete reboot without any connections to the old game...

----------------
Alright - i'm off again as i am falling asleep. Good night everyone and see you later :)
Post edited January 18, 2016 by ElTerprise
Eh. looks like I forgot to sleep :P
ElTerprise: Which isn't necessarily a bad thing i guess. I can see the potential of those smaller standalone games. Best example i guess is FarCry 3: Blood Dragon which is supposed to be a really great game despite being just an expandalone....
But Gat Out of Hell is apparently not on the same level - not even close.....

Good point. That's the backlash of ignoring a more linear character and world development. It's the downside of the route they were going after SR2 - which is considered by some to be the best SR game (not on the PC though) because it still has some balance a more serious story and silly stuff....

Imho they have to concentrate on the elements which sets SR apart from other open-world games like GTA and work with those elements. And i wouldn't necessarily oppose a story-reboot or a complete reboot without any connections to the old game...

----------------
Alright - i'm off again as i am falling asleep. Good night everyone and see you later :)
No, I'd say it's not. Blood Dragon was something that used the guts, but took everything in its own direction.
I wouldn't call it a filler title, just something different that used the internals of a bigger name.
Soulstorm, Gat Out of Hell...things like that are put out to make some money off the rehash while keeping the name out there. It's treading water when companies can't put something new together quickly enough.

Right. Saints Row is strange as a series because it really feels like it was two separate entities that got smashed together. In 4, when they start bringing back old enemies in the simulation, even the snippets of backstory you get from audio logs show that the games that came prior to the "hey, let's go super wacky" decision were very different animals then the recent entries.
It felt very dissonant to hear people talking about betrayal, morals, camaraderie, loved ones being killed as a result of leading criminal lives, things like actual depth and characterization being presented, when 4 is basically nothing but silly fun time murder/destruction sandbox with next to no real story.
It really feels like the makers of Saints Row decided that they couldn't fight the battle against GTA, so they slashed and burned their own storytelling in favor of shallow silliness.

At this point, they pretty much have to go that route. After 3 and 4 in particular, they're locked into being the goofy ones. It'd be great to see them actually making something that has more of a balance, but again, they really don't seem to want to fight GTA head-on. And so, it'll stay with what it's got until the well runs completely dry.
Problem is, that well's going to do so that much faster because they don't have things like real characters, real motivations, real backstory to build and expand on. They just have to keep digging deeper into "how silly can we be".
Post edited January 18, 2016 by CarrionCrow
EndreWhiteMane: Yeah, finding those Vic-20 cartridges in the bargain bin was awesome.
Everyone should feel younger now.
You're welcome. :-)
Hunting for casette tapes on Sunday fly-markets.
I never went to those though, I had a disk drive.
I didn't feel lucky for it.

I'm off now to do some revising. Stay healthy all of you.
I might need those delicious organs.
Good morning everybody (as good as a monday morning can be)
**big hugs with tea** (we ran out of coffee) +___+
Good morning, everybody!!! *hugs and waves*

Empress_Owl: Good morning everybody (as good as a monday morning can be)
*hands some fresh brewed coffee*
*Crawls out of hole and stretches*
Good morning, Owl... Did you have a nice weekend?
**Big hug with Excedrin headache relief pills** (the only caffeine I have :-|)
PalioDeMonte: Good morning, everybody!!! *hugs and waves*
*big hug for Mr DeMonte*
Post edited January 18, 2016 by AgentBirdnest
Good morning everyone!

*puts up some hot cocoa*
Yezemin: Good morning everyone!

*puts up some hot cocoa*
Ooooh... my favourite drink!
*sits with Yez in the no-coffee club* :-)

*puts up some hot cocoa*
AgentBirdnest: Ooooh... my favourite drink!
*sits with Yez in the no-coffee club* :-)
It's also perfect for this kind of weather. Although looking at the weather thread we got off easy here.
PalioDeMonte: Good morning, everybody!!! *hugs and waves*

PalioDeMonte: *hands some fresh brewed coffee*
\o/ my hero !! ^^
**Big hug**
How are you doing, Palio ? :)
AgentBirdnest: *Crawls out of hole and stretches*
Good morning, Owl... Did you have a nice weekend?
**Big hug with Excedrin headache relief pills** (the only caffeine I have :-|)
lol... no, thanks, no drugs... :)
yes, it was cool... we celebrated my mom's birthday, and I saw the latest Star Wars movie (for the second time) at the theater with my eldest owlet.
How is your early monday morning starting ? **big hug**

*puts up some hot cocoa*
Morning, Yezemin :)
**big hug**
how are you doing ?
Post edited January 18, 2016 by Empress_Owl
Empress_Owl: Morning, Yezemin :)
**big hug**
how are you doing ?
*big good morning hug* Hello, Empress. I'm fine.^^ How's my favorite owl doing?
Empress_Owl: lol... no, thanks, no drugs... :)
yes, it was cool... we celebrated my mom's birthday, and I saw the latest Star Wars movie (for the second time) at the theater with my eldest owlet.
How is your early monday morning starting ? **big hug**
Good idea. This stuff is not good for your stomach.
Awesome about your weekend. Does your owlet like the movie?
My morning is okay/good... I feel just slightly ill, but I don't think I caught anything. I think it may be related to my medication. I'm sure it's nothing and will (hopefully) not last. I'm in a good mood anyway :-)