It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FearfulSymmetry: Haha. :P Unfortunately that won't work for me. We have small groups, and literature courses typically consist of three hours discussing the book that was set for that week. Which means that the professor can figure it out in about five minutes if you haven't read the book. :P And there's no chance of passing my exams without having read at least the best part of all the books. It's good you managed to get away with it though, saves a lot of money. I could have had a real fancy computer right about now if I'd saved that money ...
You know, I banter with respect:
https://xkcd.com/451/
I tried that once and was talking to a group of students and told them I was studying Germanistics. Sadly so did they. I lasted about 90 minutes.
ddickinson: Good morning!

Glad to hear you finally got some sleep. I think that definitely deserves a badge. :-)

Do you have anything nice planned for the day?
\o/ I love badges >:-D

I didn't have any plans until I saw that it was International Owl Appreciation Day. I guess now I'll have to think of a way to appreciate my empress :-)
That is quite a lovely picture you made for her, by the way! I'm sure she will love it when she sees it :-)
ElTerprise: Not really :P
That's great :D
(that reminds me to start reading Pratchett as well :D)
Yep, it's a course on humor in literature, so that should be fun. :) I haven't read any Pratchett beyond his collaboration with Gaiman on Good Omens, so I'm excited to start reading him as well. :)
GreenDamsel: You know, I banter with respect:
I tried that once and was talking to a group of students and told them I was studying Germanistics. Sadly so did they. I lasted about 90 minutes.
Hahaha, accurate enough, I suppose. Especially as there are no wrong answers, as long as your arguments are good. Some of my teachers even award extra points on exams for disagreeing with what they've said in the classes. I once got a nine on a paper from a very stern professor after I completely tore his own essay apart.

I suspect we'll catch on to you when we get to Beowulf, though.
Post edited August 04, 2015 by FearfulSymmetry
FearfulSymmetry: Slightly over three weeks, so I've still got some time to do things, which is good, because my sister and I have a lot planned. And right now I'm temporarily in the possession of my own car, which is pretty awesome, as it's a lot easier to get around now.

There are two different internships, one of about seven weeks at the end of this year, and then a really big one that will take up pretty much all of next year. I've heard that they try to give you different kinds of students, so you might end up with one class of 12-13 year olds and one class of 16-17 year olds. In the end I hope I'll mostly be teaching the upper classes, You need a special certificate to teach exam classes, and as I'm going to get that, I do hope I'll end up actually teaching those classes. :P

That's really sweet, it's so awesome when things come together like that and people are able to express their feelings in that way. :) Oh, the medieval theme sounds really lovely, I just adore those dresses. And corsets. Corsets are awesome. :P It sounds like it will be great, definitely something to look forward to, especially if the weather turns out to be nice.

Haha, all right, we'll share the hugs! *starts throwing hugs from one side to the other*
Three weeks is a good length of time. I hope you and your sister get to do everything that you have planned.

So it sounds like you have a busy time ahead of you. Fingers crossed you get the perfect place with good students who won't drive you nuts. I am sure you will be a great teacher, and that they will love having you teach their class.

It was very sweet, and definitely made my year :-). The dresses are indeed lovely, and I forgot about the corsets. So many lovely ideas. I will probably get a custom made dress from my friend, the same one who made my dress for the fancy ball I went to a while ago. I will need to have look at medieval dresses next year to get a good idea of what I want.

*helps Fearful throw hugs everywhere*
FearfulSymmetry: Yep, it's a course on humor in literature, so that should be fun. :) I haven't read any Pratchett beyond his collaboration with Gaiman on Good Omens, so I'm excited to start reading him as well. :)
Hopefully. Would be odd if a course on humour wouldn't be fun :P
Well me neither but i have the first two books lying around. I just need to start :D
ElTerprise: .....oh.....i....see....
But what am I thinking. I don't need eBay, I am sure one of the other farmers might have one I can borrow for free. :-)

AgentBirdnest: \o/ I love badges >:-D

I didn't have any plans until I saw that it was International Owl Appreciation Day. I guess now I'll have to think of a way to appreciate my empress :-)
That is quite a lovely picture you made for her, by the way! I'm sure she will love it when she sees it :-)
I hope she will like the picture. I sent her a link to it in her chat in case she does not see the post. That way when she gets back she can see her lovely pictures. How about something to do with fire? The French love fire. :-)
ddickinson: Three weeks is a good length of time. I hope you and your sister get to do everything that you have planned.

So it sounds like you have a busy time ahead of you. Fingers crossed you get the perfect place with good students who won't drive you nuts. I am sure you will be a great teacher, and that they will love having you teach their class.

It was very sweet, and definitely made my year :-). The dresses are indeed lovely, and I forgot about the corsets. So many lovely ideas. I will probably get a custom made dress from my friend, the same one who made my dress for the fancy ball I went to a while ago. I will need to have look at medieval dresses next year to get a good idea of what I want.

*helps Fearful throw hugs everywhere*
Hopefully, yes! Between her bad health and the fact that she's taking driving lessons right now it might be a bit tough, but we'll see. :)

That would be awesome! Although there's bound to be a few troublemakers in every class. ;) I hope so! I guess I'll find out for real this year.

Hmm, that sounds like a great idea! Unique dresses are the best, especially when you get to choose what they look like yourself. :) I wish I had a friend like that! I do have one who makes her own clothes and sells them online, and I've been a model for her clothes a few times, but they're not exactly my taste. :P Unfortunately my own skills only extend to making scarves.

*starts handing out hugs to random people*
ElTerprise: Not really :P
That's great :D
(that reminds me to start reading Pratchett as well :D)
FearfulSymmetry: Yep, it's a course on humor in literature, so that should be fun. :) I haven't read any Pratchett beyond his collaboration with Gaiman on Good Omens, so I'm excited to start reading him as well. :)
GreenDamsel: You know, I banter with respect:
FearfulSymmetry: Hahaha, accurate enough, I suppose. Especially as there are no wrong answers, as long as your arguments are good. Some of my teachers even award extra points on exams for disagreeing with what they've said in the classes. I once got a nine on a paper from a very stern professor after I completely tore his own essay apart.

I suspect we'll catch on to you when we get to Beowulf, though.
You're shit out of luck. I loved reading old stories, myths and fairy tales. I know the Beowulf saga by heart pretty well. I'm pretty sure I could give you at least 60 minutes of confusion, before I drop.^^
ElTerprise: Hopefully. Would be odd if a course on humour wouldn't be fun :P
Well me neither but i have the first two books lying around. I just need to start :D
Especially since the teacher runs his own improv comedy group. He's had me in stitches before. :P And yes, I know the problem with needing to start, I still have tons of books lying around ...
GreenDamsel: You're shit out of luck. I loved reading old stories, myths and fairy tales. I know the Beowulf saga by heart pretty well. I'm pretty sure I could give you at least 60 minutes of confusion, before I drop.^^
Ah ah ah, but did you check the link and read the original Old English? That is a requirement, along with handing in your own translations. ;)
Post edited August 04, 2015 by FearfulSymmetry
As much as I hate São Paulo,I really want to go there. Mostly because they have a Japan Town in there with a mall that sells pretty much everything that comes from Japan like cosplay,mini statues,plushies,games,light novels,manga,etc.
I invited my GF to go since her parents live in SP so I'll probably go there in September.
ElTerprise: Hopefully. Would be odd if a course on humour wouldn't be fun :P
FearfulSymmetry: Especially since the teacher runs his own improv comedy group. He's had me in stitches before. :P And yes, I know the problem with needing to start, I still have tons of books lying around ...
GreenDamsel: You're shit out of luck. I loved reading old stories, myths and fairy tales. I know the Beowulf saga by heart pretty well. I'm pretty sure I could give you at least 60 minutes of confusion, before I drop.^^
FearfulSymmetry: Ah ah ah, but did you check the link and read the original Old English? That is a requirement, along with handing in your own translations. ;)
That's what you have exit strategies for. If you can't fool them, at least be capable of outrunning them.
GreenDamsel: That's what you have exit strategies for. If you can't fool them, at least be capable of outrunning them.
I bet you're fun in class. ;) Oh well, I guess I could always switch to linguistics? I was pretty good at that when I still took it. :P Incidentally, one dude at our university did write his master's thesis on Klingon.
l0rdtr3k: As much as I hate São Paulo,I really want to go there. Mostly because they have a Japan Town in there with a mall that sells pretty much everything that comes from Japan like cosplay,mini statues,plushies,games,light novels,manga,etc.
I invited my GF to go since her parents live in SP so I'll probably go there in September.
That's nice. Are you trying another Nami-cosplay this year?
ddickinson: I hope she will like the picture. I sent her a link to it in her chat in case she does not see the post. That way when she gets back she can see her lovely pictures. How about something to do with fire? The French love fire. :-)
I'm sure she will love it :-)
Oooooh... that's a good idea. I was thinking of just writing a friendly message, but I could build an Eiffel Tower out of toothpicks, burn it to the ground, and take photos for her >:-D (I might not be able to complete that today, though :-p)
FearfulSymmetry: Hopefully, yes! Between her bad health and the fact that she's taking driving lessons right now it might be a bit tough, but we'll see. :)

That would be awesome! Although there's bound to be a few troublemakers in every class. ;) I hope so! I guess I'll find out for real this year.

Hmm, that sounds like a great idea! Unique dresses are the best, especially when you get to choose what they look like yourself. :) I wish I had a friend like that! I do have one who makes her own clothes and sells them online, and I've been a model for her clothes a few times, but they're not exactly my taste. :P Unfortunately my own skills only extend to making scarves.

*starts handing out hugs to random people*
I am sure no matter what you two do she will have fun with her sister, even if it's just spending some time relaxing with you and just enjoying each others company. *big hug*

Hopefully not too many trouble makers. I hope you will get to teach some good things, hopefully some that you really enjoy.

It is nice having a friend who can make professional dresses. She is all self taught, but that has not stopped her making a very successful career as a dress maker. She is looking for some assistants so that she can possibly open a dress shop, as at the moment it's all private work. That is keeping her very busy, so if she was to do a public store she would need some help.

*keeps throwing hugs everywhere, until the place looks a total mess* :-)